Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008

ichorniy is on a distinguished road
Importing sail boat into Canada from USA

Due to the stronger Canadian dollars prices on boats in the US become very attractive for Canadian buyers. Have somebody imported boat to Canada and how difficult or simple it was. I was thinking on getting a boat early in the summer and just sail it in. I wonder what paper work i have to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2008

SVCetacea is on a distinguished road
No paperwork. Just show up at customs and tell them you are importing the boat. You'll have to pay GST, PST and any duty. If the boat was made in North America the duty should be very low or non-existence.
Make sure you have the original registration for the boat.
Old 02-25-2008

tlscott is on a distinguished road
importing

Hi I just brought up a catalina 30 from Maine last December to Prince Edward Island. The importing process is a breeze. I hired a import broker and it only cost 123 bucks. You need a bill of sale and of course you'll end up paying the GST and PST. The boat was trucked up not sailed.

later
Terry
Old 02-25-2008

transportation

Tlscott, Transportation is the option. How difficult it was to organize. Who did the transportation and would you recommend them?
Old 02-25-2008
Ticon 30

dbruce85 is on a distinguished road
Importing Boat

Purchased a 26 ft. last spring out of Wilson NY. I sailed it back to Niagara on the Lake in late April.
When I arrived I called into Customs, as you normally would arriving back from the US. I advised them that I purchased the boat that I arrived on.
I got my reporting # and then paid the taxes by credit card over the phone.
My paper work from customs arrived in a week.
The storage cradle was still in the US and I declared it at that time as goods to follow, that was included in the paper work that I received from customs.
I brought the cradle back on a trailer during the summer without any problem.
I had every intention of having to go to customs with receipts etc. but as I said it was all done over the phone. That is just the decision of the customs agent you get on the phone.
As a suggestion, have your sales receipt for the boat, and also if there is a internet add for the boat, print that as well. I have reard stories of customs agents going on line to see what the boat was listed for, to stop people from getting a receipt for less that what was actually paid.
After I received the customs papers I got my ontario #s for the boat.
I applied to Transport Canada for a single vessel label, which was one of the requirements I had read about. I just received a letter back saying that they have cancelled the programme. I do have a HIN (Hull Serial Number). If possible you are to get a Compliance Notice from the manufacturer, but with a lot of boats from the 70's they are now out of business.
I will keep a copy of the letter from Transport Canada on the boat.
Old 02-25-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It is, as indicated above, a very simple procedure. Your experience will depend a great deal on the customs agent you end up dealing with. Out of 5 importations I was involved in over a 2 year period, 2 were inspected, the rest were handled over the phone.

DO NOT try to list a lower purchase price to avoid duties/taxes. The customs people will definitely double check - the internet makes that very easy. If you did get a below-market deal have lots of paper to back it up.

Friends of mine nearly lost their vehicle and the boat trying to save a few hundred buck in taxes, ended up paying a fine about equal to their "intended" savings and now are on record as having tried that stunt. Customs have a long memory.

Good luck... we got what we thought was a good deal with an .75 cent dollar.... wish I was shopping now!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-25-2008
Banned

bushrat is on a distinguished road
I just imported this past summer as well. There was no duty on my Canadian built Mirage. Same would go for anything built in US as per the free trade deal.
Old 02-25-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichorniy View Post
Due to the stronger Canadian dollars prices on boats in the US become very attractive for Canadian buyers. Have somebody imported boat to Canada and how difficult or simple it was. I was thinking on getting a boat early in the summer and just sail it in. I wonder what paper work i have to worry about.

Just completed an import in Janaury 2007. Goes exactly like this:

1. Buy your boat
2. Get it to Canada (ours was sailed in) You will need a proper bill of sale. Yes as one poster said do not try to save some money by goofing around with the price..be upfront..have all your documentation..you will still do well based on the US market and dollar exchange.
3. If it was made in the USA or Mexico (havent seen many Mexican sailboats) your are exempt from duty due to NAFTA. Any other you will pay..I dont know if its a flat rate but a Jeanneau is 9.5%.
4. Pay your taxes, duty etc. I called in as we came by water so they gave me 7 days to pay at the nearest centre. I was PST exempt but Im sure they collect it with the GST
5. You will need to licence the boat in Canada as soon as it crosses your US reg numbers are no good. Contact the local service Canada office and fill out a few forms. It is free and they will require the bill of sale and import slip to see that taxes are paid.
6. Voila...You now own a Canadian Boat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Old 02-25-2008

Thank you all for feed back. It sounds simple enough and I donít think I will have any problem.
Old 02-26-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
It is much easier than most people think..cars are much tougher with other variables such as emissions, certifications...I was going to mention just make sure you are aware of how to clear customs if you are arriving by sea with your boat. We had to clear at a customs phone as that location is only temporarily staffed but all the same rules apply. Let us know how you make out....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.