Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Paul...you mean like one of these??

BTW...Paul...aren't the Freedoms TOTALLY cored in the hull? Any concerns you have seen with that?
Old 02-26-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
the winch buddy is good, I've tried one on the catalina 27, but needs more juice for a bigger boat than that can provide.

I believe all freedoms are balsa, and ....
nope.
if its good enough for Mr. Pearson, Mr. Hoyt, Mr. Mull, (not the designer of the 40) Alerion & TPI (makers of those terribly built ~sarcasm~ j/boats) I'm not going to argue with 'em.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Last edited by cardiacpaul; 02-26-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul View Post
the winch buddy is good, I've tried one on the catalina 27, but needs more juice for a bigger boat than that can provide.
But would I be wrong in assuming that you are speaking of a small single speed winch on that c27? Just thinking that a larger 2 speed would make a big difference when trying to raise with a winch buddy? Of course there is always the option of a new $$$$ power winch but I was just wondering about the possible undersizing of some of the earlier winches.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 02-26-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlodolce View Post
Tell me more about why you think the huge mainsail would keep a sailor at the dock?
Don't have any direct experience with handling that main, just conveying what I heard from others. It does seem to be a factor in his reluctance to go out - since the guy I referred to is a solo-sailor.

I suppose as others have said, a power winch or a strong back are prerequisites, coupled with a Doyle stackpack, or at least lazy jacks for dousing the main.
Old 02-26-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
"But would I be wrong in assuming that you are speaking of a small single speed winch on that c27? Just thinking that a larger 2 speed would make a big difference when trying to raise with a winch buddy? Of course there is always the option of a new $$$$ power winch but I was just wondering about the possible undersizing of some of the earlier winches."

Yes, actually, barient 22's 2 speeds. (and 16's,) had a total of 7 winches on that boat, a couple of long handles too.
gotta remember, i'm a cripple... cute, but crippled.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 02-26-2008

fynbo is on a distinguished road
It should be a great boat for what you want.

As a Freedom owner I can tell you that you should worry much more about getting the sail down and adding reef-points than about getting the sail up.

On the way up you are usually in control, so that is generally trouble-free or at most work.

Taking it down or reefing on the other hand can be a problem. If the boom is out too far, or you are not close to the eye of the wind when dropping the sail, the sail will not come down, and when a fully battened sail that big starts flogging you don't want to have to come near it.

The factory reef-points are for "sailing" not for being abused by a storm. I have not been on a 40/40 but you have to have a way of carrying less but efficient sail. The mast adds windage and you will need some kind or storm sail that has a good foil shape if you get caught in a NE. My guess is the jib or stock main reefed will be too much power.

You probably also need additional sail slides of the top of the main sail. Gusts can peel a full roach main like the Freedom right off the mast with plastic slides and with metal slides it could kink the sail track, making it harder to get the sail down. You are not likely to be "saved" by the sails blowing-out either, so you have to have an exit plan.

When Tillotson-Pearson sold off Freedom Yachts they licensed the construction technology as well, so it should be an excellent boat. The above are concerns for any boat with a fully battened large main.
Old 02-26-2008
Jim Lo Dolce

jlodolce is on a distinguished road
Freedom 40

Sab30. I would be happy to read a long email from you. You can send it to me at jlodolce@dreamscape. The system wouldn't let me send you a personal message thru their system since I do not have enough postings. Feel free to email me directly.

Guess what, the system won't let me post my full email address without 10 postings either.
Old 02-26-2008
Jim Lo Dolce

True Blue: It does have a good electric winch. Thanks for the heads up regarding the large main.
Old 02-26-2008
Jim Lo Dolce

Fynbo: thanks for the posting. It is helpful.
Old 03-26-2008
invictus

Sorcerer33x is on a distinguished road
Freedom 40/40

I'm looking at Freedom 40/40s - I'm told running backstays are good for heavy weather because the carbon fiber mast is pretty springy under certain conditions. Where are you in the process -- will you buy one?