Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008
Jim Lo Dolce

jlodolce is on a distinguished road
Freedom 40/40

We have finished yacht the survey. The sails and engine are being surveyed separately. We anticipate closing in about a week or so.

I can't answer your question, since I have not sailed her. In fact my wife and I have done little sailing in our lives (we are adventuresome). My research has given me confidence that it is a very high quality boat, very easy to sail, but also very safe. I have a lifetime on the water, and am an experienced navigator, but all with power boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
jlo,

I own a Freedom 45, and we love her. The construction quality is very good, the liveability is very good, and it gives reasonably good sailing performance. There are issues here and there, but what boat doesn't have them.

Your 40/40 likely will perform better because I'm willing to bet you haven't loaded it down with cra_, uh, required gear for big and little sailors alike!

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM or email me.

Also, you should call a guy in Warren, Rhode Island who is the world's living authority about all things Freedom. His name is Paul Dennis. He is the former plant manager for Freedom, and he now owns a small yard (Warren River Boatworks) specializing in Freedoms, though he services other boats too. Paul probably is the single best craftsman/repair/innovator/installer I personally have met in the marine industry. I'm not impugning anyone else, but Paul is absolutely fabulous. There is a fair chance that he knows your boat specifically, only because he may very well have built it, and everyone who owns a Freedom knows about Paul so your prior owner may have reached out to Paul. His number is (401) 245-6949

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by danielgoldberg; 03-31-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2008
Jim Lo Dolce

Freedom 40

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep that in mind. At this point, we are looking forward to having a very good boat under us out on Lake Ontario.

By the way, I went to prep school in Connecticut with a Dan Goldberg....The same?

Jim Lo Dolce
Old 03-31-2008

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlodolce View Post
Dan,

By the way, I went to prep school in Connecticut with a Dan Goldberg....The same?

Jim Lo Dolce
But I went to a small liberal arts college in Connecticut (Trinity) that sure felt like a prep school to this kid from Brooklyn!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2008
Jim Lo Dolce

Freedom 40/40

Actually, I grew up right around the corner from Trinity. The other Dan Goldberg and I graduated from Suffield Academy in Suffield, CT (class of '65). Where do you keep your Freedom 45?

Jim Lo Dolce
Old 03-20-2009
Jim Lo Dolce

A summer's experience with a Freedom 40/40

Well, here I am again. Another year older, a few more grey hairs, and our first summer of experience on our Freedom 40/40. It was a perfect boat for us. Solid, great design and workmanship. The big main was not a problem once we learned to release the Vang before putting the main all the way up. The power winch is a must. We put 400 miles on her in Lake Ontario and loved every minute. She gained all our respect when we hit a squall 8 miles outside Oswego in July. Packed 45 knot winds, thunder and lightening, and torrential rain. We had time to get the main down, but not the jib. She heeled right over with just the small jib up. But she was like the rock of Gibraltar. Fabulous boat.

If anyone wants to take a trip vicariously on a Freedom 40/40, go to this website. Incredible trip from Virginia, up the Hudson, thru the Erie Canal, Oswego River, across Lake Ontario, out the St. Lawrence, around Nova Scotia to Newport, RI. A well done website.

BlueJacket Trip Reports for 2008
Old 03-21-2009

Congratulations! That's great stuff. Glad you're having fun with her. I agree, Freedoms are great boats.

Old 02-12-2011
Jim Lo Dolce

Freedom 40/40 experience

We now have three sailing seasons on Lo Dolce Vita VII. We made the right choice. The Freedom 40/40 is everything anyone said it would be. The mast is indeed very tall as warned. We came very close a couple years ago entering the Bay of Quinte from Murray Canal in Ontario. We got right up the the bridge and did a very quick about face. We finally went under, clearing by no more than 3 feet. We've hit our share of squals, one packing 50 kt winds 10 -12 foot seas, raining so hard I could barely see the bow of the boat, thunder and lightening all around us. Didn't phase the ship, but phased me and my wife... Had one problem with a screw that came loose 3/4 of the way up the mainsail track, prevening us from lowering the main. Had to hoist my wife up on a bosun's chair with the main still up to fix it. I sure was proud of her... We do a lot of anchoring and found that neither the 44lb CQR nor the 44 lb claw held well (about 40 feet of chain), but switched to a 55 lb Delta which sets very easily and holds really well.
Old 11-01-2011
Jim Lo Dolce

Just finished our 5th season. Nothing but praises for this boat. People see her and wonder what she is, but always comment on how good she looks. A real head turner, and a great sail boat.