Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008
Jim Lo Dolce

jlodolce is on a distinguished road
Freedom 40/40

My wife and I are life long power boaters with minimal sailing experience. We are committed to switching to sail. We have taken some basic lessons which brought back memory of how nice sailing is. We Cruise Lake Ontario, but I am also very experienced in the salt from Cape Cod to Florida. I have very extensive naviagation experience. We are trying to figure out what boat to start with. We have looked at most of the common stock boats (Beneteau, Hunter, Catalina, Jeanneau). They are all very pretty and emphasize the creature comforts. But I am not sure they are real sailboats. I am leaning toward a 1995 Freedom 40/40 because of all that I have read and been told of their quality and sailability.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The 40/40 is a fine and innovative boat and with the unstayed rig and camber jib it is very simple to sail. Certainly for Lake Ontario one would be well suited and a nice boat to own. But if you plan to sail further afield you should note some limitations:
The mast is 67' high making the East Coast ICW off limits for you.
Ditto the standard draft at 6'9" which will make East Coast and Bahamas cruising problematic BUT the shoal draft version would work fine.
I am not a fan of spade rudders for cruising (as they are exposed to damage potential) and a spade with a carbon fiber rudder shaft is going to be particularly difficult to get fixed except at a major yard.
You haven't said anything about sailing beyond Ontario, so these issues may not be issues for you at all. Just thought you'd want to consider them if you are planning to go further afield.
Old 02-25-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Our old dockmate has had one for three years now - bought it to replace his Pearson 36, thinking it would be easier to sail as he reached retirement age.

Used to sail daily with the P36, but hasn't been out more than a dozen times in 3 years - turned into a dock condo. Many marina folks think the huge mainsail has something to do with it.
Old 02-25-2008
Jim Lo Dolce

Tell me more about why you think the huge mainsail would keep a sailor at the dock?
Old 02-25-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlodolce View Post
We are trying to figure out what boat to start with. We have looked at most of the common stock boats (Beneteau, Hunter, Catalina, Jeanneau). They are all very pretty and emphasize the creature comforts. But I am not sure they are real sailboats.
Welcome to the board Jlodolce!!!

You have a lot in common with many of us here!
Old 02-25-2008
Jim Lo Dolce

Cameraderie,

We don't anticipate leaving the lake. It is a big enough ocean for me. I've done the intercoastal, and that becomes a pretty tedious trip. Especially when from Lake Ontario, you have to either go out the St. Lawrence, around Nova Scotia and Cape Cod, or down the Oswego canal then the Erie Canal then the Hudson just to get to the intercoastal. Both of these arms of the trip can take several weeks. I think the 40/40 would become a bit small for my wife and I for that long of time. I'd have to hide the flare gun from her in case she got tired of me.

I don't know if you are familiar with Lake Ontario, but it is a formidable body of water. I am much more comfortable on the open Atlantic than Lake Ontario at times. It's a big body of water. We cruised around the lake one year, and was almost 500 miles around. I want a good solid boat under me when I am out there.
Old 02-25-2008
Jim Lo Dolce

Max-on; Thanks.
Old 02-25-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlodolce View Post
My wife and I are life long power boaters with minimal sailing experience. We are committed to switching to sail. We have taken some basic lessons which brought back memory of how nice sailing is. We Cruise Lake Ontario, but I am also very experienced in the salt from Cape Cod to Florida. I have very extensive naviagation experience. We are trying to figure out what boat to start with. We have looked at most of the common stock boats (Beneteau, Hunter, Catalina, Jeanneau). They are all very pretty and emphasize the creature comforts. But I am not sure they are real sailboats. I am leaning toward a 1995 Freedom 40/40 because of all that I have read and been told of their quality and sailability.
Hey Jldolce.

Welcome..your post caught my eye as my wife and I have been on the search for our next boat. I currently own a 36ft Hunter which works well for us presently based on our parameters..our next boat will have much different requirements and I have looked a lot, read a lot, asked alot, and viewed a lot of boats..we had settled on 3 that would make our short list..a Freedom 40, an IP 40 and a Caliber 40..ok ok and maybe the Elan 434..I really feel that we will settle with the Freedom 40 as I just seems to answer all the questions we are asking...problem is it is the only one of the above that we havent viewed but are making arrangements to do that now. I will avoid a LONG post but giving you my explanation for why we specifically think it will work (and why the others arernt quite right for us) but if you want PM me and Ill share what I have...keep in touch with your feedback of the '95 Freedom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Old 02-25-2008
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
That is the way I feel about Lake Erie, its a big enough ocean for me!
Old 02-25-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
The freedom 40 is a really fine boat (I had a 33 cat-ketch, they have some similarities)
I also grew up really close to lake ontario (in between owsego and hannibal, go look THAT up)

What someone alluded to is the sail on that boat is really large. They were single tracked rather than wrap around so you won't have that little tidbit to deal with.

Nonetheless, unless you're looking forward to having
go-rilla arms and have the stamina of Atlas, make sure there is a power solution for raising the sail.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs