Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, Tania Aebi's Varuna is a Contessa 26.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
isnt that the same kinda boat the girl in maiden voyage sailed for her circumnavigation? thats an awesome book
good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinondreams View Post
It is amazing to think that a couple months ago I joined this forum in hope of expanding my knowledge, and suceeding in a goal. I really have come a long way in the last couple months...... now actually owning my boat! and the majority of the encouragement came from sailnet so I really appreaciate it guys!
Thanks,Taylor
Taylor,
Nice work, Captain!
Old 10-03-2008

BluewaterBruce is on a distinguished road
Good Luck on your journey!

Last edited by BluewaterBruce; 10-03-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Did not see orignal post date - info does no pertain
Old 10-06-2008

kjmactavish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I really have come a long way in the last couple months...... now actually owning my boat!
Hey Taylor, I'm in a similar place. I'm looking for my first boat and something similar to what you've found is what I'm looking for (or maybe something different). I'd also love to see some pictures/descriptions and hear your story. Can you send me a PM (I can't send to you, yet - too new here). Thanks. Kevin
Old 10-08-2008

mygoggie is on a distinguished road
Well, my 18 year old son is finishing up school now and he wants to sail full time next year. He has my full support and I firmly believe in living your dreams. My motto always will be: "The greatest fool is the one who did not try."

The greatest fun is going to sailing school with him, sailing with him, making mistakes with him and encouraging him ... how many old sailors can say they did that with their son?

My advise is:
1. Get your diesel mechanic certificate
2. Get an open waters diving certificate
3. Get your welding certificate and then do a cross training for underwater welding
4. Get your basic electricity wiring certificate.

With these qualifications you will ALWAYS find work in any part of the world!

Once you have traveled around the world and you know all the cultures and what the world looks like, go and study - you will not only achieve better results than the brats fresh out of school, but you will study what you love.

In any case you can never become a good naval architect or marine engineer without first knowing what makes a boat tick ... and that comes only from sailing and fixing these ladies for a few years.

PM me if you want to chat with my son.

All the best with your plans and live your dreams!!
Old 10-08-2008

SailingFlorida is on a distinguished road
Wondering how Living is doing and what projects his boat needs before venturing into the blue?
Old 10-14-2008

Livinondreams is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFlorida View Post
Wondering how Living is doing and what projects his boat needs before venturing into the blue?
Doin good just wishin for winter to come and go so I can get the boat moved and start livin aboard while I work on her! but for now just trying to save money to fund repairs and such

The boat needs many things before setting off, For now I need to build a rudder, do some painting, and wiring, But that is just the start of it and the to-do list will continue to grow as time goes on......it is a boat after all

Last edited by Livinondreams; 10-14-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Doin good just wishin for winter to come and go so I can get the boat moved and start livin aboard while I work on her! but for now just trying to save money to fund repairs and such
Ah ya weenie...
Old 10-15-2008

SailingFlorida is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The boat needs many things before setting off, For now I need to build a rudder, do some painting, and wiring, But that is just the start of it and the to-do list will continue to grow as time goes on......it is a boat after all

Glad to hear that you are working towards your dreams! If you havent already check out Zac Sutherland, he is a 16 yr old Cali native currently trying to be the youngest to circumnavigate. In his last blog he had a rough few days consisting of a broken tiler, broken boom, and also having motor problems as well. He is funded pretty well and still stugling to complete his journey. Keep that in mind while working towards your own trip.
Old 10-15-2008

RichP is on a distinguished road
Hmm, i read a bit of his stuff, but i found it hard to believe he bought the boat with his savings as it said on the Sailnet news clip, when i was his age (only 5 years ago) my savings extended to somehow scraping enough money together to buy a cheap banger of a motorbike to get about on, as i working a job on nights to pay for rent and clothes etc as well as doing college all day!
I appreciate that people can work when they are younger than 16 and save up, but a 36ft yacht even a restoration job seems a touch unrealistic!

I can connect more with your dream !