Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008

guillouau is on a distinguished road
Buying a boat in US

Hello,

I'm living in France, and will be in Boston next month for my future job.
I'm looking to buy a boat to live aboard all the year in boston harbour : I've seen Wauquiez Hood 38 & Bristol 38.8.

For the Bristol 38.8, I'm wondered if I can come back with it next years in France, because I need a European Certification Form from the Bristol boat maker.

Almost, I'm wondering also if I will have to replace all the electrical systems an wire for both sailboats, beacause in Europe, it's not the same electrical standards (220V/50Hz).

Have you ever heard of such issue for the Bristol 38.8 European Certification Form and the adaptation of electrical systems and wire ?

Thanks a lot for your response.
Sincerily,
Aurélien
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Gullouau-

Getting the boat certified is probably tough, since IIRC, Bristol is a long-dead company—having gone out of business in 1997. The Waquiez Hood is European made IIRC, and they're still in business...so that boat would probably be easier to get documentation on.

The wiring should be fine, but you'd probably want to replace any AC based equipment, like an inverter or charger, since they may not be 220 VAC 50 Hz compatible. The wiring for 110 VAC is actually heavier than what you'd need for a 220 VAC system, since the amperage is essentially half of what the 110 VAC system would have had.

You may not want to change out the AC outlets aboard the boat, if it has an inverter/charger, since you may be able to get an inverter charger that takes in 220 VAC and outputs 110 VAC. Most electrical and electronic gear can function on 110 VAC @ 50 Hz. That would allow you to avoid having to replace all the gear aboard the boat.

I'd also like to welcome you to sailnet and recommend that you read this post to help you get the most out of your time spent here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-27-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2008

guillouau is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your response SailingDog. I didn't know that Bristol has stopped its boat production. It's a pity ! Bristol 38.8 seems to be very good boat.

Ok for the electrical wire & systems - your recommendations are reassuring me. Now, I've just to found a Wauquiez Hood near Boston... it's a long path to get our own boat

I've read your post, and try to follow your hints on SailNet.

Thanks a lot.
Aurélien.