Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Cannonball,
Listen to what Alex (Giu) says. He is located in Portugal, and he knows Europe market and boats well.
When he speaks about a boats he speaks about that particular models and not about brand in general.
If you are not sure about his knowledge just read about his fast boat he designed. His son will be future Olimpic champion in Sailing if things go in the right direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

finished cruising after two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Like picking up his dad's bad habits and breaking equipment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaz_423 View Post
If you are not sure about his knowledge just read about his fast boat he designed. His son will be future Olimpic champion in Sailing if things go in the right direction.

Tag GUI... You're it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-29-2008

Spondulix is on a distinguished road
Hi cannonball

I own an Etap 21i. A lot depends on what type of sailing you want. The best built of the 3 is the Etap. The fastest is the Bene.
I have sailed both and the Bene is the most fun, the Etap will give you no surprises but sails very well. I have no experience of the Jeanneau.
If you are looking for a boat for family sailing and cruising then I would recommend the Etap, if you like racing and dinghy type performance then the Bene. On our Marina there is a considerable number of Bene 211 which never sail. I think they were bought as first boats and they have taken the wife out for a first sail and she has nearly jumped overboard in fright and they don't go out again.
all this IMHO
Old 02-29-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Like picking up his dad's bad habits and breaking equipment... Tag GUI... You're it.

Dad's bad habits! I hope Fred does not try to put a dodger on the opti.
Old 02-29-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You might try www.jeanneau-owners.com for info on the sun200 also. I seem to recall a few folks posting that they have them, altho the 2500 IIRC is more popular. Including one that recently circumnavigated France thru the channels etc.

marty
Old 02-29-2008
s/v Taliaferro

JPCurry is on a distinguished road
Jeanneau Sun 2000

I convinced Jeanneau America to import one to the US. I have been very pleased, especially with the performance, and build quality. I have the new infused hull. My local boat repair people drilled the hull for installation of a few mods and they could not believe the consistency of the layup. I still have a piece of the core and it is completely without air pockets or signs of other problems with hand laid hulls. The hull is very stiff and does not flex to the hand or chop.

I would guess it is the most tender of the three. If you are going to single hand, you need to reef early. It is the easiest to launch and trailer, with the fully retractable swing keel. I think the Etap can only be trailed with the twin keel. The weight is similar to the others.

John

PS. Use Google to translate the S2K website, it works pretty well. The site is very well done.
Old 02-29-2008

cannonball is on a distinguished road
Thanks JP, some good info there. I think youre right about the Sun being most tender.I looked at one today and was told that the ballast weight is an iron casting laid in the bilge and the centre board is fairly light ,therefor the c of g does not get lower as the board is deployed. The Benny has all the weight in the drop keel so that makes sense. Also, the Benny has about a foot of iron protruding when its folded away ,so thats a lil more protection if drying on rough ground. The Sun is pretty much flush along the bottom when board up. But as you say thats also a bonus sometimes
Old 02-29-2008

What is the CB in the sun2000 made of? if it is just wood, could one install a metal custom board? that would make it a bit less tender. This might be worth doing if that model is the one you like over the other two.

Marty
Old 02-29-2008
s/v Taliaferro

JPCurry is on a distinguished road
Keel info

Both the swing keel and swing rudder are of GRP (glass reinforced plastic). They are both foiled. I would not want to modify this without looking very closely at the tolerance of the swing keel bolt. The hull shape provides alot of the stability along with the lead ballast.
Old 02-29-2008

Then that mod is worth looking into if a bit more stability is wanted. Even a thin plate of iron or aluminum, say 1/4-1/2" with glass around that might get you a bit more stability in puffs etc. That would add all of 200 to maybe 300 lbs at most to the CB. So depending upon the bolt size etc in the CB, very doable IMHO.

My step dad in the 70's built a Glen-L 21CB. He made the DB about an 1/8-1/4" thicker than designed, giving it 475 lbs of CB vs 400, and while not a lot of wt, still seemed to give it a bit more stability vs other TS's with 300-400 lbs of CB. Mainly SJ21's that were more prevalent in the Seattle area that I could get on etc as a teen.

Just a thought and certainly worth looking into if you want a bit stability when sailing in stronger winds. Not sure I would mess with the rudder, unless going aground a lot like here in puget sound with rocky bottoms etc. Then again, most folk do not beach there boats here, as it is a long wait if you beach at high tide, and the tide goes out some 8-12' and in some places, many yds to the waters edge!

JP, there is a owner rendezvous in the san juans the last weekend in june if you want to take a 2 wk vacation and sail around up there. Been going on for 7 or 8 yrs now. It would be interesting to see a small jeanneau.

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.