SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Moody 33 MK I (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/40994-moody-33-mk-i.html)

kregar 03-01-2008 04:15 AM

Moody 33 MK I

I have stumbled on a boat that I have taken a liking to... A 1976 Moody 33 MK I.. Not a lot in the US, but looking for opinions or experiences..

Thanks,

kregar

tdw 03-01-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kregar (Post 274423)
I have stumbled on a boat that I have taken a liking to... A 1976 Moody 33 MK I.. Not a lot in the US, but looking for opinions or experiences..

Thanks,

kregar

In general Moodys are pretty good boats but '76 is getting on in years. I'm in the process of looking to upgrade and am considering mid '80s. To be frank even that is getting on in years. I like them but some of the later ones apparently had certain build quality problems. Thats by the by.

First up, is this the one in Mendon ? If it is then you need to be damn careful as what it is going to cost you to put the thing back into commission. Complete new rig and sails will not be cheap and presumably the interior needs a fair amount of work although apart from wiring, plumbing and mechanical everything else is pretty much up to you. Engine is unknown quantity. You will need to satisfy yourself that the purchase price plus commissioning costs will make the effort worthwhile.

Unless its the building project that gets you off or unless you have done this before make very very certain that you are not biting off more than you can chew. I've done the old buy a fixer upper with the intention to do most of the work myself and I can tell you it always costs much more than you can guess and takes far longer to do the work.

Finally, you will want to screw the buying price down down down.

Good Luck.

sailingdog 03-01-2008 05:07 PM

The fuzzy one gives good advice. Moody makes a good boat, as a general rule, but a boat that is 30 years old could have a lot wrong with it due to poor maintenance and bad owners. 30 years of neglect can kill even the best of boats.

If you're serious about the boat... get estimates on what replacement costs for the things that need replacing will be, and add 25-30% to that figure... and then add that to the price of the boat... and ask yourself if that still is worth it. :) If so, put in an offer... and if the offer is accepted—get a survey... Adjust the price according to the results of the survey and if they accept...congrats.. you're a boat owner.

Another thing to consider is whether sailing or working on the boat is more important to you? What are your long-term sailing goals and plans. If a moody fits in with them, and you've got a good price on the moody, taking a year off to out fit her and restore her might make sense. If not...then walk away.

kregar 03-04-2008 11:52 AM

Thanks for the advice..Will definitely involve a surveyor..This appears to be a good deal for both sides.

Anyone else?

kregar

chucklesR 03-04-2008 12:08 PM

Friend has a Moody 36 center cockpit. I went out with him once - 40 degrees out side and a nice comfy sail in 15 kts of wind.
His only complaint was that it took 10kts of wind to move the damn thing.

His was the same vintage you are looking at, and had been carved up and redone on the inside pretty extensively - including at one time putting a full sized house refridge in the center of the saloon.

All in all it seemed to handle well for it's design and purpose and was certainly well built.