Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008

RandyBC is on a distinguished road
Crossborder shopping

Hello all....I'm new to the forum.
I'm looking at buying my first boat, a Catalina 42mkii has caught my eye and seems to fit our fairly sizable family of 2 adults 4 kids.
Anyway, I'm Canadian and will likely be buying from a US dealer. My question to those of you who have imported a boat into Canada are twofold: Did you use a Canadian broker to facilitate the import?? If so does this add to the cost? Also, did you finance through an American or Canadian financial institution??
Thoughts are appreciated.
If anyone has good or bad things to say about the boat I'm considering I would be interested in those replies as well.
All the best
Randy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Randy-

Welcome to Sailnet. I'd highly recommend that you read this THREAD to help you get the most out of your time here on Sailnet. Also, a quick search would show you at least two or three recent threads on buying a boat in the US and importing it into Canada...

From what I recall, the use of a broker isn't necessary, since it didn't sound all that complicated to import a boat from the US to Canada, especially if the boat is US built.

You might want to contact CruisingDad, as he's a technical editor for one of the Catalina models. I'm sure he'll pop in here shortly enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-02-2008
Banned

bushrat is on a distinguished road
I found a broker helpfull and it was the truckers preference as well to get a broker. Between the two of them they dealt with the border. The broker also got the paperwork done for the registration in Ontario. This cost less than $200 for taking care of all the redtape. Well worth it IMO since I wasn't with the boat at the border. A trucker doesn't want any snags at the border as well. You may find yourself on the hook with the trucker for any delays on your part. That could cost you a lot more.
Old 03-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would probably be easier to ship the Catalina 42 to a US-port and sail it across the border. The paperwork for sailing it across the border isn't bad, and it would reduce the costs of transport quite a bit, unless the boat is going to be used on an inland lake inside Canada.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-02-2008
Banned

I don't know about easier SD. He would need knowledgable help with his "first boat" to sail it to Canada. Proximity to the border and available time are also factors. I know people have saved with transport by staying in US but you can find reasonable Canadian transporters who charge by the mile if everything is good to go at the border. I all I had to do is tell the trucking company was "see you at my marina" done deal!
Old 03-02-2008
Banned

I will add however, it is a whole different ball of wax from my 27.5 footer to a 42 footer. I would think a delivery captain may work better if possible.
Old 03-02-2008

RandyBC is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for your replies....The boat is in the water very close to the border so I would have it sailed across. I have to take delivery of it in the US because of my personal circumstances. As an Alberta resident I will avoid paying PST on the boat if I don't get delivery in BC. I would hire a captain to bring it across.
What about financing...do you use US or Canadian lending institutions for a purchase of a US boat?
Randy
Old 03-02-2008
Telstar 28

You'll probably be better off using a Canadian bank, since the boat will be registered and kept in Canada, regardless of where it is now.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-02-2008

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
If you're with the boat when it reports to Canada Customs you don't need a broker. Customs agents are required to assist you in filling out the form. As I recall the only tough blank was "tonnage", and the fellow said to put in "less than 12", or something.

You pay GST to Canada Customs. You have the option of paying PST right there, but as you're from Alberta, there's nothing to pay. Canada Customs sends their import records to the provincial treasury people who then pursue the PST with the owner.

If you keep the boat in BC, however, BC may decide it's one of theirs and want their cut. I know Ontario has people walk the docks regularly to check taxes have been paid.

Good luck!

Tim