Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008

DoomDahDoomDoom is on a distinguished road
First Time Buying Advice

I know there are about 1001 similar posts and I've been reading them, I just thought since I finally signed up for a user account that I should actually post something

I am shopping the internet for my first boat. I'm located in the Toronto area so I don't want to go too far from lake Ontario in my search. Looking for some sort of balance between racer/cruiser (who isn't?). My price range is definitely below $10k - as in, I can't spend more than $10k total for boat/transportation/upgrades/etc... this summer. I guess first of all, I want to make sure I haven't overlooked any models that might fit. So far I've been looking at:

Kirby 25
Capri 25
Both fast. Niether with standing headroom. K25 class association seems pretty strong in this area though with several regattas each year. I also considered the J24, but it has reportedly even less below than the above two, and always seems to be priced higher.

Niagara 26
C&C 27
Mike Hoyt seems to pop alot on these forums mentioning the N26 and it does look pretty good (the OB version anyway). A buddy of mine just bought a C&C27 for about $6k last fall in NY state - though finding another one at that price range has been proving difficult.

S2 27
S2 7.9
S2 ?
I see several of these for sale around here, but have never actually seen an "S2" up close. I guess they are American-made. What's the build quality on these?

Express 30
Laser 28
Both of these are kinda the ultimate dream racer/cruiser boat, but I haven't seen anything listed for under $20k, so unless somebody knows of a government auction coming up...

Ultimately, I'd love something that I could go FAST in and race competively (either OD or PHRF) but still be capable of say a cruise in the Thousand Islands for a couple weeks at a time.... What other models should I be considering? What questions need to be asked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
San Juan 24 San Juan 28
Old 03-04-2008

Looking at the PHRF of the San Juan 24, it doesn't seem to be in the same league as the boats I've been looking at in terms of speed potential. The 28 looks promising though.
Old 03-05-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
S2's are coastal cruisers, but of fairly good quality. They are no longer in production, but the parent company (Tiara/S2 Yachts) still produces top quality powerboats. Since they were manufactured in Holland, Michigan, there are a lot of them available in the Great Lakes region.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-05-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
How about Santana 3030pc but $10,000.00 will be tough
Old 03-05-2008

dakuehn is on a distinguished road
If you intend to work on the boat yourself (I assume you are based on the aforementioned budget) focus on smaller vessels that still meet your needs. I have an S2 7.3 and think it's worth consideration.
Old 03-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuehn View Post
If you intend to work on the boat yourself.
I don't know how much work I'd feel comfortable doing (I'm pretty handy around the house and with basic carpentry, but I've never done any fiberglass work); I think I'm moreso trying to find a boat with a motivated seller - though there seems to be plenty of boats listed under $10k, and supposedly in sailaway condition, that I would consider.
Old 03-06-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDahDoomDoom View Post
Looking at the PHRF of the San Juan 24, it doesn't seem to be in the same league as the boats I've been looking at in terms of speed potential. The 28 looks promising though.
There is more to the PHRF rating than looking at it for speed potential. Some boats sail to their ratings very well while others are very hard to sail to their rating. If you want to be in the winners circle more often look for boats with winning PHRF ratings. Around here that would be the Ranger 26 (210), and the Shark (269). Although they are not necessarily the first across the line they win a lot of races. I would look at what other folks (who win) have in your area. It is so much more fun racing similar boats or boats with good ratings.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 03-10-2008

How many years can you typically count on a mast surviving? I expect this to be a very variable answer, but assuming that the boat has been sailed and raced for most of it's life, would you trust a 30-year-old mast with fairly new shrouds? Or would a boat that has recently replaced all standing rigging be *that* much more appealing?
Old 03-10-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDahDoomDoom View Post
How many years can you typically count on a mast surviving? I expect this to be a very variable answer, but assuming that the boat has been sailed and raced for most of it's life, would you trust a 30-year-old mast with fairly new shrouds? Or would a boat that has recently replaced all standing rigging be *that* much more appealing?
Do you mean mast or rigging? A mast will last forever, rigging does wear out. I personally think that rigging on seasonally used boats will last indefintely, until the occurance of meathooks and/or cracks indicate too much age. Others will say replace the rigging periodically. But here's what brian Toss has to say on the subject Pieces of String Too Short to Save

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.