Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
So, I made an offer way, way above BUC, way, way above NADA, way above the average for the model from soldboat.com and $5000 more than the highest recent sale of a similar boat, yet still $13k below asking price. I thought my offer acknowledged this was a really nice example but after looking over the number again, I was wishing I'd come in a bit lower.

What happened? The seller countered $10k above my offer, a $3k concession.

Hope springs eternal.

Broker stridently tried to convince me how nice the boat was and that I really should up the offer. I acknowledged the boat was nice but that I would be more satisfied to miss out on the boat, than I would be making a much higher offer on it. Thanks, but I'll take a pass. There will be another. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth from broker.
I just gotta observe that you justify the offer you made by referencing how it was greater than other prices, averages, etc...you haven't said how your offer relates to the value of this boat, what you reference has nothing to do with what the specific boat in hand may be worth. You don't say "I won't offer more because the boat is not worth more...".

Mint example boats are very rare, average or typical prices have no relevance to the rare mint boat, and in my experience, the guy demanding a premium for a rare mint gem is likely only trying to get back a piece of the $$$ he put into it. I certainly wouldn't advise you to offer more or not, but just that you should have a clearer handle on why you do or don't...
Old 03-05-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I just gotta observe that you justify the offer you made by referencing how it was greater than other prices, averages, etc...you haven't said how your offer relates to the value of this boat, what you reference has nothing to do with what the specific boat in hand may be worth. You don't say "I won't offer more because the boat is not worth more...".

Mint example boats are very rare, average or typical prices have no relevance to the rare mint boat, and in my experience, the guy demanding a premium for a rare mint gem is likely only trying to get back a piece of the $$$ he put into it. I certainly wouldn't advise you to offer more or not, but just that you should have a clearer handle on why you do or don't...
Ok, I thought my comments made it clear that I made an offer higher than what the average boat has recently sold for and that I didn't think the boat was worth a lot more.

It was a nice clean example of a common production boat notihing less, nothing more. It still had its 17 YO, original equipment sails, standing rigging and lifelines and other than reverse cycle air, was not really heavily equipped.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Have to say that there is no way I would put down a deposit before price was agreed on. If a broker insisted on that, I'm sorry, but I'd pass. To many members of the Dodgey family out there, I'm afraid.

When we bought Raven we haggled on price until owner and us came to an agreed amount and then and only then did we pay deposit (10%) subject to survey. It was agreed between us that survey could only be used to bargain down the price if major faults (from memory we agreed nothing less than $1,000) appeared. I was happy with this cos we knew the minor faults and they had already been factored into our offer. No major faults appeared and so we proceeded with the purchase.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-05-2008

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road
I put up less than 5% earnest money, contingent on a satisfactory survey and sea trial.

-Riz
Old 03-05-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
That worked out as well. We faxed the signed purchase agreement and a copy of the check which was acceptable to present the offer the seller. The counter came back before mailing the originals and since even splitting the difference made other options look more attractive I decided not to counter back at this time.
Old 03-05-2008
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Question Earnestly speaking

I would never put money up front. Sorry.

Maybe it OK for the young bucks and butt **** (I.E. "I got your money, now spend more to get it back"). Nah, I not play that game. I the buyer, I have the money, a person want to sell their boat that fine. If I want it, I have the cash.

Just be a man and we make a deal.

I never gone through a broker. But, I did work in Real-Estate so, have an idea how it work. No problem, we all have to make a living. But, I not give up my money because someone say that how it work.

When I am the buyer, sorry. It my way or no way, it "MY" money and today there a lot of people trying to get it!!!!

Yea, give me your money, then try to get it back?? S**t. Shake my Hand and be a real man. That how I do business.

True, I find there not many men today, do it my way. But, I feel I am a man of my word and those I deal with......... they the same.

Heck, just for trivia there is a Boat in the Classifieds, it still there for sell. I e-mailed the guy, I have the cash.

He write back someone want, but, have not paid? OK, cool with me. The boat still here and I could have put the "CASH" in the guy's hands this last weekend.

I not say I will do, "I do" when I say. But, I guess I different than most people today. I find it sad.

I guess others make it work for their advantage. Maybe their integrity is there, I not judge, just say how I do it, or not!

Last edited by Gryzio; 03-05-2008 at 08:03 PM.