Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008

jeffls is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jeffls
Wanting to buy a first boat...

OK I'll be honest the only sail boats I have been on have been at boat shows. I've owned two powerboats. I grew up on the lakes on minnesota but was transplanted to Savannah via Army. I've been on the tidal waters up to about 20 miles out for a few years now. I have never been on a sailboat though.

I have been deployed for 2 out of the last 4 years and have been dreaming about getting out and just sailing around for a year or so and getting sane again.

I will have about 30k of cash to play with. I want a live aboard that will be easy to handle, I can singlehand, and will get me around the carribean and gulf. I have read so many books on sailing but it is hard to understand what kind of boat would be best for me.

I am new to sailing but I would love to be able to sail far and wide. The only boat in the price range that can get me across an ocean is a contessa 26 and it looks much less liveable for a permanent home.

Any advice? What should I be looking for? And does anyone know anybosy around savannah with a sailboat and the willingness to take a stranger out on the water?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can probably get an Alberg 30 or a Southern Cross 28/31 for that amount of cash. They'd be much more suitable as liveaboards and all three have made bluewater passages. The SC 28 just finished a circumnavigation last year, and Pat Henry did hers in an SC 31.

There are a lot of boats that you could get. Here's a boats.com search.

Granted, most of the boats there aren't going to be bluewater capable, but there are going to be quite a few that are, and most are in your price range. I would highly recommend you get a good surveyor to check out any of them if you are serious about purchasing them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-05-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Well, I am a fairly new sailor myself. (not quite 2 years experience) You have the idea you want to sail far and wide at first. It can be true but you really need alot of experience before you do anything like that.

It seems to me like you should widen your search to costal cruisers and bluewater boats. To get to the gulf and some of the Carribean you dont need a bluewater boat. I think you will be satisfied for a few years with just the coast, Keys, and Bahamas. There is alot to see.

So dont limit yourself to a bluewater boat.

Also, when you buy your first boat, expecially when you have never sailed before, you dont really know what you need. You may know what you want but not what you need. So just buy a boat within your price range that is nice, reliable, and with plenty of cabin room. Sail it for a few years and then see what you think you want in a boat. You will then know more of what you NEED.

There are alot boats out there. Look on e-bay, get on yatch world and search for boats in your price range and area in the 26-30 foot range is my suggestion. Find some and call them up and go on it. It is so much fun to go into sailboats when you first get started! I still get excited when I go on a freinds boat for the first time.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 03-05-2008
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Read what I say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffls View Post
OK I'll be honest the only sail boats I have been on have been at boat shows. I've owned two powerboats. I grew up on the lakes on minnesota but was transplanted to Savannah via Army. I've been on the tidal waters up to about 20 miles out for a few years now. I have never been on a sailboat though.

I have been deployed for 2 out of the last 4 years and have been dreaming about getting out and just sailing around for a year or so and getting sane again.

I will have about 30k of cash to play with. I want a live aboard that will be easy to handle, I can singlehand, and will get me around the carribean and gulf. I have read so many books on sailing but it is hard to understand what kind of boat would be best for me.

I am new to sailing but I would love to be able to sail far and wide. The only boat in the price range that can get me across an ocean is a contessa 26 and it looks much less liveable for a permanent home.

Any advice? What should I be looking for? And does anyone know anybosy around savannah with a sailboat and the willingness to take a stranger out on the water?
I really not want to tell a person what to buy. Money not come easy to burn. True, some have "Daddy Bucks"!

I would look for an "El Cheapo" maybe a Catalina 22, 25, 27. Heck, Choey Lee 27?? (really cool boat if you grab for around $5000 or less {fix the teak}!!!! Pearson Triton less than $5000, pay no more.

OK, this a short. People going to load you down with boats. I sell you one right now for all you want to spend!!!! OK!!! I lie!!!! I will NOT. But, I try to be real.

Put a minimum into a Classic! Play, have fun, modify, wish for what not fit??? It not take long, you know! Then drop the bulk of your money into something.

Just the tid-bits I mention? Heck, give them away! Dang, many times the boats I get....... Dang, they sold before I buy!!!! Why??? Because people who know me, know it be worth a cheap buy! Buy, cheap, learn and then "Buy"!!!!!

Full Keel? Retractable? NONE (Missing)?????? Can you fix, do you want too, can you 100 miles into the Abyss???? Learn cheap and move up. I can talk for hours on this.

No! I not have boats for sale. My friends Scarf on those.

I just hate seeing a person drop the big bucks and then wish they had the money for what they really want!!!!

Boats not sell easy, unless (Like me) you give most away!
Old 03-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Gryzio's post, from what I understood of it... makes a lot of sense... don't spend a lot on your first boat... since most people will generally only keep their first boat a few years, and buy a second boat, based on what they learned from owning the first boat. Don Casey also says this in his book This Old Boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-05-2008
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Red face Thanks SD for the support

I not always talk coherent. Sooooo, much to say and my brain not do as years ago.

I remember in College. I joke with my teachers about 10 page research papers. I tell them; "It a poor mind that takes 10 pages to explain what can be said in one short sentence".

But, today the words from the brain not seem to work with my fingers.

My friends understand. One day I go to sea and she will not send me home! Or.... Will she?
Old 03-06-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
If you're set on a bluewater capable boat for $30k, then look into these:

Westsail 28 (maybe a 32, but not likely for $30k)
Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20
Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35
Valiant 32
Allied Princess/Seabreeze/Luders/SeaWind
Willard 8 Ton 30
Nor' Sea 27
Cape Dory 30

Old 03-06-2008
Telstar 28

Kwalters-

I'd add the:

Alberg 30
Southern Cross 28
Southern Cross 31
Elizabethan 31
Hallberg Rassy Monsun

to your list as well.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-07-2008

jeffls is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jeffls
I am interested in the contessa 26 and flicka 20 for their size. I am going under the assumption they will be much cheaper to maintain than a 30-33 foot boat. The question would then be are these comfortable to live in year round in a place like savannah?

I was reading a caribbean passage making book and it stated that a lot of the smaller ocean going boats do not do well in the carribean and something with more size is needed. What is your guys take on this?

It is very true that I will spend quite a bit of time off the keys and florida/ga/ sc coast so I would like to make sure either boat listed above is fully capable and safe.
Old 03-07-2008
Telstar 28

Jeffls-

Both the Flicka and the Contessa 26 are probably going to be a bit small for liveaboard use. There are a lot of people doing the Caribbean in boats that size. A better choice, and probably less money than the Contessa 26 or Flicka is a Southern Cross 28 or 31. Both have made circumnavigations. The one caveat about them is that they are built with an Airex cored hull. However, the hulls, if well maintained, seem to be very sound.

Telstar 28
New England