Newport 33 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-06-2008 Thread Starter

Newport 33

I currently am learning to sail on my 72 Aquarius 23. It's a great boat, no doubt. However, I'm also looking at the Newport 33's as a possible live aboard in the next couple years or so. I like the interior layout and a little research I have done seems to indicate that they are good sailers. Most likely I'll end up in the Puget sound area and will likely just spend the rest of my time there. This is not to say I wouldn't like to sail to Mexico but I don't know if the Newport 33 is the boat to do that with? Any comments on the good, the bad and the ugly would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Andy
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-06-2008
Just another Moderator

In our last boat hunt we looked hard at the Newport 33s... they had a lot of the features we were after, the layouts looked good, (and there are few differences year to year), the size was right for our intentions which included lengthy coastal cruising doublehanded.

In the end we found something we liked more, but overall I was quite ready to consider a N33. Good pedigree (Mull design) and many had been nicely outfitted by POs.

As a caution I will add that we looked at one with really severe delamination in the deck/cabintop area, (didn't need the "tap test", the deck was bubbled up in several places) and though that kind of turned me off I didn't see the same in other examples.

I think if you get a good one it's a boat that could well be used as a coastal liveaboard for a couple, as far as offshore, that would be debatable. This boat would not likely make the top ten of most people's best bluewater boats. (though no doubt some have done so, esp a downcoast trip like what you mention)

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.