Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
Sun Yacht

anyone ever heard of sun yachts. someone nearby is selling a '78 27' sun yacht. roller furling, 12 hp yanmar diesel, tiller steering. looked at it very quickly and appears to be in decent shape. my neighbor is looking for a boat this size. just wondering if i should recommend it or not.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Wchevron-

Are you sure it isn't a Jeanneau... They've used sun in a bunch of their product names... the Sun Fast and Sun Odyssey series for example.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-06-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Sun Yachts were built by Spencer in BC, they produced the 838 (27'), a 31 footer and after a short time began to market themselves as "SUNSTAR", which are the same hulls with slightly different window treatment.

They seem to be reasonable coastal cruisers, plenty of them around here. They have a good amount of space, fairly high freeboard but good headroom. Build quality would be average-to-good, Spencer has been building a lot of semi custom bigger boats for years, (many of which have done extensive ocean passages) so they know how to do it.

The 27 is probably on par or better quality wise with a Catalina 27 but is a much bigger boat.

The Sunstar 31 is a nice looking boat, actually suspiciously similar to the S2 31 footer. I think that there were many more 27s (8.38s) sold than the 31s. IIRC the 31s were underpowered as standard.

Here's a link to a Sunstar 28 (later version of the 27) Does it look similar?

Sailboats: 28' Sunstar 28 - Listing #: 2483

As always, get a good survey and check it out. I believe they both used encapsulated ballast rather than bolt on keels, underwater profile is moderate fin and spade.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-06-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks faster.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-06-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
faster
thanks, it does look similiar but i really need a closer look. the boat is at a business and the owner wasn't around but one of the employees told me it was a sun yacht so i'm not positive it's not a jenneau but the employee said the owner told him the boat was built in washington state which is close to B.C. so i think it might be a sun. thanks for the help, i'm going to let my neighbor know about it. it's been on the hard for a couple of years but the asking price is $5000 but negotiable.
Old 03-06-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If in good condition at a negotiable $5K that could be a real deal... If the boat came from the PNW I'm pretty confidant that we're talking about the same boat.

Google "SUN 838" or "Sunstar 28" and you should get a few more pics to compare.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-28-2009

den98028 is on a distinguished road
sun yacht 27

I have a sun yacht 27. We believe this one was made n 78. Mine has a manual jib with an 8 hp Yanmar diesel.

I'm only a novice sailor but we like it a lot. I agree with others that its well built and probably suitable for coastal sailing. We have had to do very little maintenance so far. We keep it in Puget Sound.

Like you, I'm thrashing around for specifications. I was told the boatyard was in Bellingham Wa. and it folded years ago. We were also told their was some link to Reinell which was another local boatyard, but again; not sure. Take a close look and get a pro to do a survey.

Regards
Old 06-03-2009

Biker1bob is on a distinguished road
I have been looking over one for a while now here in ONtairo Canada. I know it is a SUN 28 and I did manage to get some specs etc from Spencer Yachts..

So if anyone would like me to make a PDF for you.. let me know.

Also Faster made a good post in this thread to me last year 27' Sun Sloop

Yes I would agree $5000 is very fair.. boats this size and build go for $10+ out here.. but because it is little known and hard to get info.. you get a deal.

James

Last edited by Biker1bob; 06-03-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-08-2009

Biker1bob is on a distinguished road
Well no one has posted here again. Den98028.. would you be willing to share some pics of your boat? chainplates? engine compartment, galley, head, your electrical area?

I am close to taking the one I am looking at.. it is a fixer upper.. but with a good hull (not cored I understand) a deck that might have 1 soft area, and a good rig with 6 sails, I think this is worth getting into.

I have a fair amount of info on this boat now for those that are looking.

Wchevron.. what ended up with the one you were looking at??

I have seen some excellent examples of these boats.

Mine looks like it has been fresh water, and it came from the Ohio area before getting out east (LAke Ontario) to me..

Anyone want to discuss this boat more?

James
Old 07-08-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The Sunstar was built by Spencer for Specialty Yachts (of North Vancouver)
in molds bought from somebody in Washington state. Attachment from Spencer owners group
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Sun Yacht-sunstar.jpg