Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008

sck5 is on a distinguished road
Morgan 33 out island

Hi

I am wondering if anyone has experience with these boats. I am looking at one and having trouble finding any reviews or other information about it. It has a full keel and 3-11 draft so it looks to be a pretty good choice for a boat to cruise down the east coast and into the Bahamas. Does anyone have experience with that? I wouldnt have thought a boat like this would do more than coastal sailing and island-hopping which means it might be a bit difficult getting as far as the Caribe via any sort of offshore route, even though it probably would be fine once it got there.

I would appreciate any opinions or experience on this boat - things you liked or to look out for.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have some experience with these boats. They were poorly built, and did not sail well. They had a very rolly motion. When they were fairly new, they were acceptable boats to sail around Florida and the Bahamas, but most of these boats are 30-35 years old and would need a major investment before I'd want to sail one across the Gulfstream.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2008

billangiep is on a distinguished road
Well if there was ever a bullet proof boat this has got to be it..My buddy owns one and he runs that boat into one thing after another, run aground more times than I can count....in our club we have a trophy called the "grounds man award" he still has it after two years. I personally don't find them esthetically pleasing.
Old 03-08-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Bulletproof? At least the one I worked on with the torn hull to deck joint and loose bulkheads had deck flange that was a narrow turned out flange glued with 3M 5500 and wide spaced sheet metal screws, sloppy glasswork, bulkheads that were skip tabbed in place and deck cleats (except the bow) that were simply screwed to the deck.

They are roomy though.
Jeff
Old 03-09-2008
Alabama Member

islandzephyr is on a distinguished road
Well, I am not sure any of the above posters actually own one, but we do, so I will try to give my $.02 below.

We have a 1979 Morgan OI 33 (see our blog on the boat sv.islandzephyr.com) and I wouldn't think that a boat built by Charlie Morgan would be of poor quality, and I haven't found this to be true myself, but they are slow, or more like lethargic, which is fine with us.

A few points I would make about the OI.

Each boat is built with a specific purpose in mind. I have found there is no good all around boat for every purpose. The Out Island was built for Florida to Bahama-Caribbean cruising. You can see the exact stats of the 33 on our blog (go to the link for "history"), she has a 3'11" draft, perfect for the "Islands", but even with a full keel, I wouldn't say it was ever built for deep water at all, that wasn't her purpose.

Her purpose was to be able to get in and around the shallows of the keys, not sail to England from the East Coast. I personally ran our Chrysler 26 aground so many times up in the Pamlico River, breaking the keel, rudder, outboard, etc etc that I would have LOVED to have had our OI over there, it would be a great boat for that area as well.

They are slow, yes, but you are SAILING, if you are in a hurry, you can fly? We had two other sailboats, a Chrysler 26 and a Catalina 22, both of which were way faster than this boat, but both also had their limitations as well. We wanted one we could learn on in larger bay waters and still be able to sleep comfortably on while we are anchored or in our slip.

The are very roomy inside. Our previous two sailboats gave me a terrible backache from bending over all the time (I am 5'10", not tall) and the head room in here is almost 7 feet. The beam is so nice that my wife and I can spend a good deal of time on the boat and not bump into each other every time we turn around. If you spend a lot of time at the dock (as we do at the moment because of our Perkins) it is GREAT to have this beam and headroom.

The comment about them being bullet proof I have to say are pretty close to accurate. I can break just about everything I touch and this boat is very tough and from my time spent on board you can beat the heck out of the boat and it doesn't seem to bother it at all.

They normally have a 50hp Perkins, which is a good motor to have in a boat this size. Ours when we bought it (unknown to us) had a blown bad heat exchanger ($700) and a blown head gasket (about $2-$3k). The heat exchanger we fixed, the other engine problems we will have to wait until we can fund them, but it starts up every time and runs smooth. If you buy one with a 35 year old Perkins I would recommend having it checked out by (an independent) diesel mechanic that knows the Perkins specifically. Our was checked out by a local mechanic to the marina but no one every ran it up for longer than 30-40 minutes. It wouldn't start to overheat (due to the head gasket) unless you ran it that long, so it was never known until we bought it. The engine has been our biggest problem thus far and keeps us from sailing her right this minute.

The other comment about needed to be fixed up before going longer distances I would probably agree, but don't think that is specific to the OI. Any 30-35 year old boat is going to need intermediate or greater care, upkeep, maintenance, etc etc. For some of us on a very very limited budget, the OI is a great boat, especially if you don't have the $50-75k range to spend on a boat. I believe you can get a Morgan OI for around $20k in fairly good condition, and for $20k I personally think it is a lot of boat for the money.

As far as sailing her to the Caribbean, our boat has already been there. Not with us on it, but when we bought it, we found a GPS with the tracks and waypoints still loaded and it went all throughout the Islands. The route was from Tamps, through Lake Okeechobee and down throughout the Islands going south. It had also been sailed up to the Chesapeake Bay area but not on the same trip. This was not 25 years ago when she was young, but 3-4 years ago.

We had ours delivered from Tampa to the Alabama gulf coast and the delivery captain said he was quite surprised at how well it handled the gulf (and he wasn't a big fan of the OI either).

This boat happen to fit our needs, it was in the price range, structurally sound, larger enough, could sail to the Islands with the right upkeep, is a fantastic boat to stay on while working on repairs in the slip, can be handled by two easily, and it gets us on the water.

If I had $40-$60k to spend on a boat I would probably have bought a different boat, but we didn't, we had just enough to buy the OI, and we looked at a ton of other boats in the $20k price range and this was the best boat for the money at the time (May 2007).

Good luck on your search, we for one love our OI, even if other people think it looks like the ugly duckling.

Scott
Old 03-10-2008

sck5 is on a distinguished road
thanks everyone for the comments. it helps a lot. dont know yet what we are going to do
Old 03-10-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Good review Scott.
Good luck with IZ, and your plans.
Old 12-30-2011

dave22q is on a distinguished road
i've had my morgan 33 OI about a year and am amazed at the poorly built comments. i did not see any in my pre-purchase research and i doubt if you can find this opinion repeated in many places. this is heavy, solid boats, safe in a blow. its no racer, particularly to windward but the living space beats most 38s. not sure about any 30 year old for trans Atlantic but this one is fine for coastal or the islands.
i'm really curious, are their any current or former owners who think the morgan 33 was poorly constructed?
Old 12-30-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I lived aboard and cruised my OI 33 for thirteen years on the East US Coast and Bahamas. Sure, there are compromises for expense,- not the best of joinery below, but the hull itself is very sound. Some had trouble with the hull-deck joint which was more vulnerable to damage with the early 70's boats before moving the joint from the rub rail to the toe rail, but the deck is secured with SSbolts, not sheet metal screws as inaccurately posted above. In general, the boat performs in compliance with it's design and production costs which suited me enough for 13 years to cause me to spend the last 27 years on my Morgan OI 41. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 12-30-2011

dave22q is on a distinguished road
thanks for your input.