Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010

ne57301 is on a distinguished road
How about that, me too!

I bought a 1984 Pearson 34 in June. I started with a P26 and still trying to sell the 1978 P30 (still love that boat)

But now it's time to figure out the P34. Winterizing will be the first hurdle. After that will be the alternator mount relocation kit on the M25, oil drain kit, rebed (replace) the 4 forward ports, look into something other than a bladder for a holding tank, troubleshoot leak in starboard water tank, refridgeration (anyone else without refridgeration? these things devour ice), anchor roller (an success stories??), and I'm considering optoins to make the mainsheet more accessible to the helmsman.

That's the big stuff aside from rebedding deck hardware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2010

Bowedtoothdoc is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear from other P34 owners! My boat is on Lake Lanier north of Atlanta, Ga so I don't have to pull the boat out for the winter. Just a small space heater for the really cold months. The boat already has refridgeration and hot water. Need to redo or reseal the four aft ports\windows which are leaking a little. Interested in the anchor roller as you mentioned, but anchorages no Lanier are not too demanding. Just installed a new Bimini and frame and looking into a Dodger. Do you have a Dodger on your boat?
Old 01-15-2011

Peerless is on a distinguished road
I am loking at a 1989 Pearson 34 mk 2. Does anybody have commments on the boat. At one time I owned a Pearson 31 mk2 which was a good looking boat with a nice interior and was a nice sailing boat; however, I beleive there were some systemic issues with the construction related to the hull deck joint allowing mosture. Any concerns like this for the later edition 34s?

thanks
Old 01-16-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
The '89 Pearson 34 is a very different animal from the 83-86 Pearson 34.

I believe that the 34-2 came with a self tacking jib from the factory. This limited the jib choices, and you would loose a lot of fore deck space for the track. Every 34-2 that I looked at (I saw several) had the self tacking jib.

One structural difference is that the hull of the Pearson 34-2 is cored, both above and below the waterline. Pay VERY close attention to the hull exterior, looking for any signs of impact damage. It doesn't take much of an impact to allow water ingress to the core.

Here is a picture of two impacts to the hull of an '89 Pearson 34 -2 that I looked at:
I found clear indications of moisture starting from these subtle circles, which were 4" below the waterline, all the way down to the keel.

Personally, I like the interior layout with the separate shower stall, island berth and aft cabin (although the mirror backed liquor cabinet is a little over the top).
Here's the layout;

The deck construction, however is like that of most (all?) Pearsons; end grain balsa sandwich with FRP inner and outer layers. Stanchions had gaskets at their base, and the gaskets invariably failed after several years, leading to this;

Other than looking carefully at the interior / exterior, I would strongly suggest the purchase of a moisture meter if you are seriously interested in a Pearson 34-2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 01-16-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added Model year
Old 04-09-2011

Alegria110 is on a distinguished road
Pearson 34

I own a 1984 Pearson 34 in Marblehead, MA - she's a good solid boat - we've done a lot of upgrades - though I can't say the refregeration is really worthwhile...
Old 04-09-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegria110 View Post
I own a 1984 Pearson 34 in Marblehead, MA - she's a good solid boat - we've done a lot of upgrades - though I can't say the refregeration is really worthwhile...
That would be a Pearson 34, and not a 34-2. Different layout, and solid glass hull. IMHO, a better built boat than the 34-2. The 34-2's were only built from 1987-1991.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.