How much more "gracefully" do high-quality older boats age than mass-production ones? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
An educated buyer "MAY" buy the older Oyster if you will over a newer boat, such as the Grand Soliel or Jeanneau. "BUT" an educated buyer may not want an older hull shape or form if it is say a racer built and designed under the IOR rules vs newer hull forms with better performance and sea kindlyness < if this is a word?

Personally, I do feel a better built boat if you will, will age better, this of course is assuming both get the same maintenance. As an Oyster built with solid wood will be better than a plywood model to some degree, not to say that building things with plywood would not be good if done correctly.

I would look at it from a what was original cost, vs selling the same two now? Have both lost say 60% of original value? then to me it is a wash. If the oyster lost 50%, and the Jeanneau lost 60% or the other way around, then the one that lost the 60% is NOT the one that is best bought new per say.

Personally I do not feel there is a right or wrong. One has to look at what the boat was designed to do etc. A Jeanneau is not built to the same specs as an oyster, nor were they designed to do the same type of sailing etc, so one would or should expect to see different build qualities and levels. With the way Zan is going thru boats, ie every 2-3 yrs.........buy what your heart desires right now. If on the other hand one is buying for a 5-10 yr run........different answer, go for the better built one if you will! My 02, for what is is worth!

Marty
Old 03-19-2008

Rancho is on a distinguished road
Anybody who has ever sailed on an old Oyster, Hallberg Rassy etc. and on a new lightweight mass produced boat (tupperware) will know the answer to your question. Just don't go shopping in Europe at the moment, even a new Benneteau has gone up in price but not in quality.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Rancho - I am using Euros, so the price of European boats has remained the same, but the price of US boats has gone down. I am quite careful about using terms like "everybody" or "anyone" since there are always exceptions. If the answer were so easy, everyone would have an old HR or similar and this thread wouldn't even have merited a snigle response.

I am enjoying the back-and-forth on this topic though!

I consider a well-found Jeanneau 49DS to be a bluewater boat, so comparing
an almost new Jeanneau 49DS with full cruising gear (extra batteries,Wind,Solar,Gen,radar,sails,watermaker, etc.) with a 49" HR built 1993 with the same accessories (albeit 10 years old) that has already circumnavigated is a matter of
[Edit]
difficulty. My main consideration is safe travel with minimum delays due to major components going *poof* in the middle of nowhere.

(Previous post got away from me, I was going to erase the whole last paragraph, but it is too late now)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zanshin; 03-19-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2008

Rancho is on a distinguished road
Hi Zanshin, as a newbe I don't want to make any waves but what will your Jeanneau be worth 10 years from now? My bet is that the HR will lose a lot less of it's today value. Depreciation of your boat is part of the cost of going cruising. For that money you can do a lot of refitting on the HR and end up with a better boat. Besides that I'll take the peace of mind of a well proven boat anytime.
Old 03-19-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Rancho - good point, I did some sample boat value comparisons and see that that under that aspect the TCO is higher on a new but more depreciable production boat.