Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008

byrondv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soontobecruiser View Post
16% total commission
16%??? What kind of realtors are you talking to???

You could always try to sell it yourself. Of course then you are stuck dealing with the buyers realtor anyway. Actually - even if you went the trade route chances are the cat owner will want someone to broker the deal. Who do you dislike more? Lawyers or Realtors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2008

Soontobecruiser is on a distinguished road
ByrondV you loose 6% on a house, and the person selling the boat looses 10% on a boat. as far as who he likes better, in the last few years he has met 4 lawyers he likes and no realtors.
Old 03-15-2008

byrondv is on a distinguished road
That is an interesting way to look at it, but really it assumes a broker is necessary for the boat - and that would be more up to the cat owner.

I _personally_ wouldn't be nearly so concerned about the costs to the other party in a sale, unless I thought I could get a significantly better deal by lowering their costs. Which is doubtfully, if they take the risk of going without a broker they will probably do it to save the cash for themselves.

It seems more like you are opposed to the costs involved - perhaps rather than a trade it would make more sense to buy / sell without brokers / realtors. Honestly it would probably be less work than negotiating a trade with certainly unequally valued items (especially after the boat value is modified due to anything in the survey). Certainly you are going to be picky about differing values if you are concerned about a personal 6% cost plus 2-3% extra you might get off the value of the boat for skipping the broker.

Though if you really want to trade - perhaps posting some flyers at liveaboard marinas might target the right audience.

Good Luck

Last edited by byrondv; 03-15-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
You may also want to consider renting out the house and hiring a management company to oversee it as a rental. More tax breaks, monthly income, and considering the housing market - it is more of a renters market right now. That'll allow you the ability to finance a new boat and if it doesn't work out the way you intended, less overall loss in the long run....just another way to look at the problem - but I would highly doubt someone would jump at that kind of trade, as it would be perceived as risky to begin with.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-15-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Faster-

Corsair 25C is a trimaran, so your offer is rejected out of hand. I'd up the offer to a Catalac 8m or Gemini.
C'mon SD - it was still upping the ante... 3 hulls must be better than 2 (since apparently 2 are better than one)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I can't argue with the logic there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
C'mon SD - it was still upping the ante... 3 hulls must be better than 2 (since apparently 2 are better than one)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-15-2008
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
I like that 3 are better then 2 and 2 is better then 1! I don't think the trade thing would work who in the heck would do that??
Old 03-16-2008

BlondeZilla is on a distinguished road
There are plenty of Cats on yachtworld for that price and all you have to do is email the brokers of the ones your interested in and get them to put in the offer.
I am sure one of you would have to throw him a couple grand.
A lot of people cruise a long time then want a house just as the opposite is true.
Anything is possible, but yachtworld would be the place I would start looking.
Old 03-16-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
I hear ya' Soontobe.....
Personally I have 2.5 acres of virgin wooded hillside in southern Ohio that I'd love to trade for a boat.....(30-35' ready to go) and have investigated such.
The major problem is ......not many people with those boats want a great building lot in Southern Ohio.
I'm still open to offers however......Willy
Old 03-16-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
When you get up to ten posts and can send private messages, send me one. I'll trade my 175k (total invested) Gemini for a 425k house .

Sell the house, buy a Catamaran after you sell the house, and after you know what you want in a catamaran. If time is too short for that, you don't have time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.