SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Trade a House for a Catamaran (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/41363-trade-house-catamaran.html)

Soontobecruiser 03-15-2008 12:01 AM

Trade a House for a Catamaran

My husband and I are considering trading our house for a catamaran in order to cruise. Does anyone have experience in doing this? The house is worth about $425,000 and is located near the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia.

If you have done this how long did it take and where did you find the person to trade? Also where did you advertise that you wanted to trade?

SOONTOBECRUISER

byrondv 03-15-2008 12:10 AM

I would have to think you would have better luck selling the house, and buying a catamaran. The number of catamaran owners willing to trade for a house in a specific location has got to be pretty low - if even existent. Doesn't give you much choice in the type of catamaran you could get.

Of course if you want to trade for a Hobie 16, I think I might be willing to let it go ;)

Faster 03-15-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byrondv (Post 282926)
.....if you want to trade for a Hobie 16, I think I might be willing to let it go ;)

Soontobe:

I am prepared to offer a Corsair 25C, upping the Hobie 16 ante!:D I know where I can get my hands on a good one!

Seriously, though, I'm with byron.. sell then buy.

sailingdog 03-15-2008 12:24 AM

I'd second what Byron has said. Doesn't really make sense to trade one for the other. The number of catamaran owners with a cat in that price range is rather limited, and the chances that one is going to be willing to trade their cat for your house is infinitely smaller.

Sell all of the stuff you're not putting on the boat... sell the house... move into an apartment... search for the boat...buy the boat.... move onto the boat.... commission the boat.... go cruising.

What exactly are your cruising plans. Chances are pretty good that you won't want or need a $400,000 catamaran to do them, and the less you spend on the boat, the bigger a cruising kitty you'll have.

sailingdog 03-15-2008 12:25 AM

Faster-

Corsair 25C is a trimaran, so your offer is rejected out of hand. I'd up the offer to a Catalac 8m or Gemini. :)

Plumper 03-15-2008 12:37 AM

Are you talking about a swap for a limited time or a permanent trade?

Soontobecruiser 03-15-2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 282938)

What exactly are your cruising plans. Chances are pretty good that you won't want or need a $400,000 catamaran to do them, and the less you spend on the boat, the bigger a cruising kitty you'll have.

Sailingdog:
We agree that the boat does not need to cost 400,000 although that would not be out of the question. THe reason we want to buy a cat is that we expect to maintain a sailing lifestyle for a long time, and we anticipate having to drop the hook near houston and feed the kitty some times. The desire for space and comfort is for these less exciting times.
soontobecruiser

Soontobecruiser 03-15-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plumper (Post 282943)
Are you talking about a swap for a limited time or a permanent trade?

That is a permanent trade Plumper. thank you.
soontobecruiser

Plumper 03-15-2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soontobecruiser (Post 282947)
That is a permanent trade Plumper. thank you.
soontobecruiser

So why don't you just sell your house and buy a boat? The trade thing sounds a bit odd......

Soontobecruiser 03-15-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plumper (Post 282948)
So why don't you just sell your house and buy a boat? The trade thing sounds a bit odd......

That is a resonable question Plumper, we have not had good luck finding a reasonable realtor, besides my dog likes fleas better than my husband likes most realtors. Besides, 16% total commission involved in doing it through sales people is substantial.