Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
I've bought two boats on eBay, and have been happy with both.

#1 was a guy who was moving to a new state and couldn't take the boat. He had advertised the boat locally with no success. He was running out of time so resorted to eBay to get rid of it. I didn't meet his reserve on the auction, but as the only serious bidder he was willing to work out a deal with me before he needed to pay winter storage.

#2 was a boat abandoned in a marina by its owner. The marina gained title and just wanted to get rid of it so they put it on eBay. (It's a project boat, but that's what I was looking for.)

In both cases I personally inspected the boats. I would never, ever consider bidding without doing so. If you're not familiar with the problems of older boats, bring a friend who's knowledgeable or hire a surveyor. Whatever you can't verify as good should be assumed to be bad, and your maximum bid set accordingly.

Surprisingly, on boat #2 of the several people who bid, I was the only one who actually looked at it.

Maybe the seller would allow sale subject to later survey and sea trial, but it looks like he's staring at an April 15th deadline for his summer slip bill. This boat's showing pretty good interest already. Given the number of boats I've seen relisted for non-paying bidders, if I decided I needed to get rid of this boat now, the last thing I'd do is allow some tire kicker the option to back out when he changes his mind about the boat.

Good luck,

Tim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2008

thesnort is on a distinguished road
"the core is nice and dry over 98% of the deck"
How much would it cost to repair 2% of delaminated deck? Factor that into what you'll pay for the boat and you have your answer.
That is, if everything else is true, and there really aren't a bunch of other things needed, i.e. new rigging.
Old 03-17-2008
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
You ask whether I would buy a 'boat' from ebay. Well a boat probably not, but something up to about 20" if the price is really cheap, and it's located near me - maybe. But then again for me that would be the same for most anything on ebay.
Would you buy a car without a test drive?
Old 03-11-2012

Lseekr is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you buy a boat from eBay??

I tried buying a boat on ebay a couple years ago and couldn't figure it out until I bought some ebook on how to buy rvs on ebay. It was really good, but before I could buy it I lost my job. I can't find it on my computer, but i did a search and it looks like its online at How to Buy and Sell RV, eBay. Its the same cover and the same content, but not all the chapters are on it yet. Supposedly they are just now adding them and to check back. I just went back and a new chapter was up so i guess it going to be free.
Old 03-11-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Lseekr - the original post is almost 4 years old... I believe that if the guy wanted to buy a boat off of eBay, he has probably figured it out by now...

Also, FWIW - I have bought and sold 3 motorcycles, and my current car on eBay.
Old 03-11-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

I know a guy that bought a boat off e-bay...he's pretty happy with it...
Old 03-12-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Lseekr - the original post is almost 4 years old....
That's no problem if you just signed up to boost someone's google placement by spamming links in every web forum and blog you can find.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 03-13-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
That's no problem if you just signed up to boost someone's google placement by spamming links in every web forum and blog you can find.
Yeah, very first post revives a 4-year-old thread to tout an online book. Some slight possibility that this is not spam, but I'd say only VERY slight.
Old 03-14-2012

Sailingking22 is on a distinguished road

Do it!! I just bought the Hunter 30 off eBay a few weeks back down in Saint Pete. I paid the $500 deposit and drove down with a rental car. The boat looked as described so I paid him the rest and he handed me the title. Great deal. He did eBay as his house foreclosed and bank said --- get it out or we'll get it out. I sailed and motored her back to Pensacola, FL. Of course, I was prepared and encountered many issues but an awesome experience. Made it 511 miles .... lots of zig zagging as I followed the coast and made it fun. The downside: the price was great but the boat is old and not maintained. I get the feeling the first owner of 28 years did everything and the second guy of 2 years kind of ran this boat to the ground. To get her back to 100% I need a new Jib sail, some fresh side paint, sand the prop, some engine work, and plenty of wood work. But if you have the time and the passion I'd do it for sure.
Old 04-26-2012

kookievat2007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2802000 View Post
hi everybody,

i was checking out a boat on ebay, its a 1978 pearson 30. I was wondering what people thought. No particularly about the boat itself, but buying a boat from ebay in the first place. Ideas are welcomed. Heres a link to the boat on ebay.

Cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayisapi.dll?viewitem&item=230232597369

-eric

P.s. I dont have enough posts to post a link so if you will have to copy and paste, sorry!
i did in 2007 mariner 32 out bid 26 . I would not bid with out being able to look over before i gave ck. If not what adv. Could back out of deal PS LOVE THE BOAT