Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012

snider is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you buy a boat from eBay??

I know this is an old thread but I got a steal on ebay about a year ago. Paid $1,500 for a Starwind 223 with a motor and trailer down in FL. The boat was turn key, put the mast and sails up and went sailing. It even came with a roller furling jib. The guy had replaced a lot of woodwork and had just gel coated the entire boat. I usually only hear of deals like that but I guess we all get lucky every once in awhile. It was a boat for my sister and her family as I already have a boat. They are still enjoying it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

We found our boat on there. I made an offer on the auction site but the offer was below the reserve price. The auction ended without the boat being sold. I wanted that boat so I contacted the seller and we agreed to a price outside of the auction site. I traveled, I inspected, I paid. We happy with boat. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Something as expensive as a boat and as ambiguous as "not as described" keeps me from paying anything before I inspect.
Old 05-09-2012

windnutlarry is on a distinguished road

Depends. I bought my 1983 Sovereign 17 on Ebay as a charity donation. Paid $580+$200 fees and brought it home. Biggest problem was all the sticky little maple tree cooties that finally had to be removed with acetone. That, and the 150 gal of rainwater sloshing around the cabin. I sanded and repainted the bottom with Aquakote, cleaned up the exterior teak, and have a great trailer sailer. The pucker factor is pretty high when you get that winning bid, but I have no regrets.
Old 05-11-2012

montenido is on a distinguished road

Did anybody see the Kelly Peterson 44 that was just listed on the east coast? I contacted the seller and he agreed to a survey if I could get it done before the auction ended. Too bad I am on the west coast or I might have pursued it. I've bought several boats and large ticket items off of Craig's list with no problems, and a car from ebay. Do your research and see what happens.

Good luck, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 05-12-2012

Richard61 is on a distinguished road

Yes I bought a boat on E-Bay. However my purchace was a charity auction site (Rawhide Sales) I was able to inspect the boat but no seatrial. So far I am happy. PS they have a smaller pearson and a paceship this week. Like anything look at all the details and go with your heart. but listen to your brain. Richard
Old 07-22-2012

Quote:
Yes I bought a boat on E-Bay. However my purchace was a charity auction site (Rawhide Sales) I was able to inspect the boat but no seatrial. So far I am happy. PS they have a smaller pearson and a paceship this week. Like anything look at all the details and go with your heart. but listen to your brain. Richard
Well here I go again. I have bid on 2 more boats on E-Bay. Will find out Monday if my 1 boat will grow into a fleet of 3. Richard
Old 07-23-2012

pilotman is on a distinguished road

Zombie thread, but I'll add my input. I sold my last boat (18' ski boat) on eBay.
I welcomed buyers to look at it in person. Only one did, he didn't win.
I required a $200 deposit within several days of the end of the auction. If you didn't come to get it, non refundable. If you came to get it, and didn't like what you saw/thought I misrepresented, the deposit was refundable.
Payment due in full at the time of pickup.
I figured that this would make folks comfortable enough that if they won it, they could paypal me a small deposit, and if it wasn't what they were expecting they could walk away and even get their deposit back by dispute with paypal.

I feel this worked out well for both me and my buyer. If your potential seller doesn't offer similar safeguards (wants full or substantial payment at time of auction, doesn't invite people to look at it, etc) I would run.
Old 07-23-2012

jppp is on a distinguished road

Our boat was listed with eBay, yacht world and one other. Different prices all. Ended up with eBay and won. It was half of the yacht world price. Only considered the boat after seeing it. 3 hour drive, Bought w/o survey. But, she passed the deck stomp test, the hands on smooth enough hull test, the new-never-used-sails-in-bags test, the motor looks good from here test, the dry as a bone bilge test, shiny keel bolt test, wiring is neat and tidy test, wow look at that fancy feathering reversible prop test, the cabin looks like it it had slip covers on it for 30 years test( it actually did), 5 yes count'em 5 anchor test....So we bought her. And with all that, we've been working on checking off the other list. The list of items needing fixing/refinnishing/upgrading. Next up, kiwi grip, new plexiglas/ lexan portlights, new forward hatch light, masthead anchor light.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 07-23-2012
O'Day 272 - "Pana-Sea-A"

Mjfossler is on a distinguished road

Sure, in fact I did. I sailed it twice and had it surveyed.
Old 07-23-2012

Yes within the past hour I bought a Paceship P23 as a little sister to my Paceship PY26. At $461 dollars for the boat I didn't pay for a survey but spent 2 hours going over her deck to keel. I plan to use this boat with a charity that gives kids with Autism the chance to sail. Now that things are starting to turn arround for me its time for me to pay back. Richard