SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Would you buy a boat from eBay?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/41401-would-you-buy-boat-ebay.html)

eric2802000 03-16-2008 10:47 PM

Would you buy a boat from eBay??

Hi everybody,

I was checking out a boat on eBay, its a 1978 Pearson 30. I was wondering what people thought. No particularly about the boat itself, but buying a boat from eBay in the first place. Ideas are welcomed. Heres a link to the boat on eBay.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230232597369

-Eric :rolleyes:

P.S. I dont have enough posts to post a link so if you will have to copy and paste, sorry!

Maine Sail 03-16-2008 11:02 PM

One word..

NO.... and... !!!!

There is most likely a reason they are having to sell it on ebay...!! Unless the seller allows you a full inspection, survey and sea trial. No! If he allows this then your safe...

SailorMitch 03-16-2008 11:45 PM

Here's the link:
eBay Motors: 1978 Pearson 30 Yacht Sailboat (item 230232597369 end time Mar-20-08 13:05:07 PDT)

To answer your question, I would only if I could look at the boat myself first. Not easy to do of course. A fellow at my marina has sold a number of boats on ebay for other people. He sort of does it as a sideline when he has the opportunity. He goes out of his way to point out issues, too. As far as I know, he has sold everything he has listed although not always the first time.

I think more people are using ebay and craig's list because they just want to get out from under a boat for whatever reason. It could be health issues, or they could just need the money. The used boat market is such now that they don't want to take the time to advertise, show the boat, dicker over price, etc. they just want to be done with it.

This boat looks pretty good. If you're interested, get a copy of that survey.

sailingdog 03-16-2008 11:46 PM

If you can get the boat subject to survey and sea trial, I don't see a problem with it... if they require you to buy it as is... then I would not recommend it.

uspirate 03-16-2008 11:53 PM

Just be careful, two of my boats sold on ebay and the buyers were quite happy. there are some decent deals but as i said, be careful.

blt2ski 03-17-2008 12:00 AM

What is the difference tween a brokered boat, ebay, news paper etc? not much, just make it subject to you inspecting, survey and sea trial as one should with any boat!

Marty

GrittySchu 03-17-2008 12:08 AM

You're going to get a bunch of nay sayers, but I've purchased a boat off ebay (also my current SUV). Several things to keep in mind: Get a phone number and talk to the guy. Don't do it all through email. Go see the boat if you can. Make sure he agrees the sale is dependent on a survey or your own personal inspection (you can search for the cost benefits to getting a survey on a cheap boat vs. taking your chances). If you do agree to extra terms not listed on the auction get him to email them to you through ebay.

My own experience: the boat wasn't worth a survey so I performed my own inspection. The seller agreed if I didn't want it for any reason I could back out of the transaction for $100 plus relisting fees, if I found a major flaw not disclosed he would cacncel the whole thing for no money.
Everything turned out OK. I still have the boat with no major problems 2 years later.

Also, make sure you read the ebay motors purchase protection program.

Maine Sail 03-17-2008 09:19 AM

It doesn't...

It really doesn't sound like this guy will be too amenable to a survey..

From eBay:
"The balance must be paid within 15 days of the auction close by cash or certified check drawn on a U.S. bank"

I would email the owner and ask if he's willing to allow a survey and sea trial..?? It will be tough to line up a survey this time of year in 15 days...

danjarch 03-17-2008 11:14 AM

That balance with so many days is standard on ebay and other auction sites. If your willing to pony up the cash for the extra dockage and put down enough money to show your for real, most people will let you take a bit longer to inspect or survey the purchase.

As some one who has bought and sold boats on ebay, I put that same line on my ads. If you don't people can send you the deposit then wait weeks or months to come up with the money. I wouldn't continue storing your boat, I'm not offering financing or lay-a-way, and I want the money, either for my bank account or my new purchase.

The add seems resonable and if your interested then send him your phone number and ask to speak with him. It is buyer beware, but if you've ever bought a used car out of the classifieds then it mostly the same process.
Kick the tires and look over the title before giving over the cash.

seabreeze_97 03-17-2008 11:59 AM

Well, let's see. The seller is going into his 8th year on eBay with 100% on over 460 transactions. Naturally, it'd be great to inspect the boat. Use an eBay 3rd party brokerage for the money transaction so you can approve the boat before the money changes hands. Looks like an up-and-up situation. 2 grand for a P30. Go for it.