hunter 212 vs. US 21 vs. First 235 vs. MacGregor 26s - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
have you looked at the San Juan 21? Granted quit being built about 85 or there abouts. PHRF IIRC is in the low 200's, but do not quote me on that one. They are a bit tippy initially tho, so that might throw it out for the GF.

Marty
Old 03-26-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
The Mac 26S is NOT the same as a 26X

Everyone loves bashing the Mac 26 as if they all carried 50HP outboard engines and were really motorboats imitating a sailboat. The older versions of the Mac 26 (the 'S' model for instance) do not have a transom that will hold much more than a 10 HP engine AND you can not empty the water ballast (once filled) as you can in the motor boat models (X and M - which will plane after emptying the ballast with 50 horses pushing it along).
I have sailed on the Mac 26 S and even though am not crazy about the way the boat looks I must say that it sailed pretty well for its size. The headsail (jib) is a bit undersized on my friends 26 S but it needs to be as the boat is still a little tender even with the water ballast full. This gives it some weather helm which is a little unpleasant for long runs.
As far as comfort goes, I doubt any of the other model boats you are considering can match the Mac 26 S. Room enough between decks to sleep 6, enclosed head compartment, byo galley, pop top allows standing room for most. Another advantage this boat might have on Lake Champlain is that with the centerboard up it draws around 1 foot so you could explore more places with thin water. I think that this boat makes a pretty good camping platform and it is trailerable without a powerful truck given short distances.
I would not want to get caught on this boat in a howling wind or derecho on Lake Champlain but for normal light air use it is a decent boat - IMHO.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I don't think anyone was bashing. Besides, you said it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Everyone loves bashing the Mac 26 as if they all carried 50HP outboard engines and were really motorboats imitating a sailboat. The older versions of the Mac 26 (the 'S' model for instance) do not have a transom that will hold much more than a 10 HP engine AND you can not empty the water ballast (once filled) as you can in the motor boat models (X and M - which will plane after emptying the ballast with 50 horses pushing it along).
I have sailed on the Mac 26 S and even though am not crazy about the way the boat looks I must say that it sailed pretty well for its size. The headsail (jib) is a bit undersized on my friends 26 S but it needs to be as the boat is still a little tender even with the water ballast full. This gives it some weather helm which is a little unpleasant for long runs. As far as comfort goes, I doubt any of the other model boats you are considering can match the Mac 26 S. Room enough between decks to sleep 6, enclosed head compartment, byo galley, pop top allows standing room for most. Another advantage this boat might have on Lake Champlain is that with the centerboard up it draws around 1 foot so you could explore more places with thin water. I think that this boat makes a pretty good camping platform and it is trailerable without a powerful truck given short distances.
I would not want to get caught on this boat in a howling wind or derecho on Lake Champlain but for normal light air use it is a decent boat - IMHO.
Old 03-26-2008

zemaniak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Two quick comments;

There is nothing particularly fast about the US21. They were loosely based on then popular IOR era designs and so the deep keel version went to windward pretty well for a boat of that era but are not all that fast on any other point of sail.

On Lake Champlain known for light air mixed with square waves and very big winds, the poor sailing abilities at either end of the wind range would nix the Kenner, as it would the Mcgregor and Hunter as well.

Jeff
Thx for contributing Jeff,
But if you don't mind me asking, why would the Hunter be awful in light air? it's very light, and has a ballasted centerboard, so it should be rather stiff and responsive. The one i tried in Florida sure seemed to be, although winds were NOT light that day. Of course it could use a bigger jib, but that can always be added. As for heavy winds, well, it only has one reef (could use a 2nd), but with that and the jib removed (or a storm jib), seemed pretty lively and still solid (15-20 knots that day). I won't go into spinnakers as I have limited experience...

As for the US 21, well, same goes: light boat, heard it was stiff and responsive, comes w/ full sails and spinnaker, what would make it slow downwind? and which small boats (19'-24' (or more if it's light)) would you see as being superior while still having a few interior comforts?

thanks!

Last edited by zemaniak; 03-26-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
SharkBytes | Shark Sailing | Shark One Design | Shark Sailboat | Canadian Shark Class Association | International Shark Class Association
Old 03-26-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Once a Shark owner, always a Shark booster, eh, Sailorman?

Sharks may well be available in his area too.

I'm with you, the Shark was our first boat, and it's a great starter. But I'm not sure it can compete with today's boats like the Bene 235 in volume/accomodation, and it's likely no faster except perhaps in a hell of breeze downwind.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-26-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm with you, the Shark was our first boat, and it's a great starter. But I'm not sure it can compete with today's boats like the Bene 235 in volume/accomodation, and it's likely no faster except perhaps in a hell of breeze downwind.
There are a lot of things that the newer boats do better, but a Shark holds its value and just feels nicer underneath you than a lot of other craft.
Old 03-26-2008
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Weather helm

I have found that the excessive weather helm was corrected by properly adjusting the mast. The Ida sailor rudder made a slight improvement as well.

It is too bad many of the posters here are confusing the earlier Mac 26's D or S (dagger board or swing board) which are collectively known as "C" (classic) models with the motor sailor models X or M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I have sailed on the Mac 26 S and even though am not crazy about the way the boat looks I must say that it sailed pretty well for its size. The headsail (jib) is a bit undersized on my friends 26 S but it needs to be as the boat is still a little tender even with the water ballast full. This gives it some weather helm which is a little unpleasant for long runs.
As far as comfort goes, I doubt any of the other model boats you are considering can match the Mac 26 S. Room enough between decks to sleep 6, enclosed head compartment, byo galley, pop top allows standing room for most. Another advantage this boat might have on Lake Champlain is that with the centerboard up it draws around 1 foot so you could explore more places with thin water. I think that this boat makes a pretty good camping platform and it is trailerable without a powerful truck given short distances.
Old 03-28-2008

LakeEscape is on a distinguished road
SBJ review of 5 pocket cruisers

Good review of some Good Old Boats.

1986 SBJ SAILBOAT SEA TRIALS

Fair Winds
Old 03-28-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Once a Shark owner, always a Shark booster, eh, Sailorman?
Me too... Shark.... Good....

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.