hunter 212 vs. US 21 vs. First 235 vs. MacGregor 26s - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008

zemaniak is on a distinguished road
got it!!

here it is:

Spent all day cleaning it, can't wait to get it in the water!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congratulations.. what are you naming her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-12-2008

thanks, SD !

it'll be named: Z Piranha

will probably have new stickers done to replace the existing Hunter 212, in similar font and style, with the Z being where the splash is right now
Old 02-10-2009

gotta respect the experience on this board.

After a whole summer on my H212, much of the warnings from some of you were right on:

-no ballast makes her too tender and a tad scary upwind on Lake Champlain where wind can go from 0 to 20+ knots within the hour! when winds are quiet, she`s pretty quiet too. takes about 10 knots too really reach her potential, but once above 15-20, she needs a reef, so small window where she is optimal. she sure made me learn fast though !!! haha
-would need a spinnaker to see how she goes downwind, but can at least surf with the main in 10+ knots, although the spreaders easily get in the way and gotta be weary of the involuntary jibe
- not that fast except maybe surfing as stated above. Didn`t pass too many larger boats
- swing keel very forgiving.... when you hit shoals ! but again, won`t make that rookie mistake in the future.... however, keel is loud when hitting waves and some water comes in the cabin through the keel shaft
- cabin is small even for just 2, what with all the equipment and food, you`re constantly moving things around to make it liveable... let`s not even talk about when it rains !!
- love the cockpit though, VERY roomy, like a big dinghy, open transom is great when anchoring close to a beach
- Light and easy to trailer, swing keel makes her easy to put in/get out of water. Mast needs 2 to step/unstep, although I think I might be able to use the trailer crank and chain to help
- all in all, more of a daysailor than a weekender, good looking and good choice for a beginner boat. Just not sure beginners should start on Lake Champlain. That Lake made the maine coast look easy!!( can you tell I`m already shopping for a new one?)

given my GF`s back problems, I guess I should be looking at a larger boat with bigger cabin and at least sitting headroom. I still think a mini or something like it would be perfect, but seems those types are only in Europe and are $$$$, so I might just have to get a 27-31 foot cruiser...worse case I can always buy a dinghy on top of that to have fun...!

Last edited by zemaniak; 02-10-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2009

haywhitdad is on a distinguished road
I just purchased/rescued a 212 and I have yet to make contact with an actual owner of this boat. I have several questions. Here's a couple: Does anyone have any details about the 'spinnaker kit'. Does anyone know about the short stays that are about 3 feet up the mast? I would appreciate any information and/or pictures about these two things.
hunter 212 vs. US 21 vs. First 235 vs. MacGregor 26s-founders-series-race-3-2-7-09-038.jpg
Old 02-25-2009

Hi there
Nice picture, how does it sail up in the air like that?

I don`t have a spinnaker but if I did talk to a Hunter customer rep who was very helpful:

Kyle Boyette : CustomerService@huntercomposite.com
Old 02-25-2009

haywhitdad is on a distinguished road
She does kinda look like she's flying, huh?
That was a wild race and a good test of the boat.
We had to constantly adjust the main to keep her steady.

This 2001 boat was purchased new in 2002 and used once.
She sat abandoned in the slip for over 6 years.
She held together pretty well.
Had a few cracks we've taken care of.
Full of wasp nests.
I just couldn't pass up the deal.
I sold my Pearson Commander and bought the Hunter.
Some people think I'm crazy.

I sent an email to huntercomposite.com asking about the two things I mentioned above. We'll see what they say.
Old 02-25-2009

she's a nice little boat, that`s for sure

I`ll admit I never felt comfortable making her heel like that, always felt something was gonna break off, max i went was 30% i think

Keep in mind spinnaker kit is expensive (2000$) and spinnaker itself is rather smallish (90sq feet iirc)

there`s also a small yahoo group founded by fairwind:

Hunter212 : Hunter 212
Old 02-26-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Boats all have their compromises.
With length and width you gain space below but begin to not have a trailer-able boat. Speed is gained by sacrificing width and hull shape among
other things.
I happen to really like my old Tartan 27' for its space below and its centerboard design which allows us to sail with a 3'6" draft with the board up. The PHRF of the T27 is around 240 (which is a tad high for a speed freak) but it does sail nicely with its nearly full keel and has room for 2 below.
Another T27 owner is selling his boat for a song although it needs some significant work done to it. Here is his story:
Hi all,

It is time to part with my 1967 T-27. Hull number is 278 or 287, I'll
check tomorrow. She is just beyond my capacity to restore. She is at
the Tall Timbers Marina in Tall Timbers, MD on the Potomac.
She comes with sails, a new rigid boom vang, a new profurl (improperly
installed by PO).
She is definitely a project, though. Chainplates are out, engine may
or may not run, missing two port lights,(new glass, no frame), most
interior wood removed for refinishing, (never finished), needs
cushions, wet deck core where chainplates penetrated the deck,
companionway hatch (the door thingy) completely disintegrated and
needs replacement, all electrical needs to be redone... You get the
picture...
The hull is in GREAT condition!
It is yours for only $500. (I'll negotiate...)
After one month, I turn the title over to the marina and abandon her.

It all makes me very sad because she was my very first boat, but I can
only deal with one boat at a time and I am living on my other one.
Time to cut back.
It is a bit of a stretch from the Chesapeake to Lake Champlain considering all the work that would need to be done to get a boat like this ready for a trip like that but I am pretty sure you would be happy with most of the compromises. It can fly a spinnaker and it positively picks up ground on downwind tacks on the race course with the board raised up.

Everybody has one:

Old 02-26-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywhitdad View Post
I just purchased/rescued a 212 and I have yet to make contact with an actual owner of this boat. I have several questions. Here's a couple: Does anyone have any details about the 'spinnaker kit'. Does anyone know about the short stays that are about 3 feet up the mast? I would appreciate any information and/or pictures about these two things.
On other trailerables those short stays that are about 3' up the mast are usuall a bit higher say 5'-6' up the mast and we call them baby stays. Not sure on the Hunter but on some other boats (mine) they are there as part of the mast raising system. When winching the mast up they keep the mast from swinging too far to port or starboard so that the mast base plate does not get twisted, there is a lot of torque placed on a mast plate when it is extended over the length of the mast. Once the mast is up I can take those short stays off as they are not all that tight and are really no longer holding anything. Some folks leave them on as an extra grab wire to hold while up on deck. I suspect yours serve a similar purpose but not sure they should be removed on the Hunter trailer models.