Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008

johnniespaceboy is on a distinguished road
looking to buy a boat was wondering what people thought

Looking to buy my first sailboat to sail around the world. Yes its a big taking on for someone who hasnt sailed that much, but if you dont grab life by the balls whats the point eh? anyway was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a
1975 Gulfstream 52' ?? saw one for sale from a salvage yard that needs some work, mainly interior etc. was wondering if anyone had any thougts on how much it would cost me to get her on the sea again if i did most of the labor myself...?

sorry it wont let me post a link but it is on yachtsalvage dot com under listings only a couple boats down..... i have no idea how much these boats run etc or if its even a good fit for me..... guy said in currrent condition (needing quite a bit of work) 15-20k but they are looking to get rid of it fast i mean i think it would be a steal if i could get it closer to 10 and do the work myself....? any thoughts?

Also looking for a captian to partner with who wants to sail the world on the cheap for an adventure if anyone is up for it.... I'm willing to split costs and find others to cover our own costs so we can basically travel for free..... anyone interested.....

thanks in advance for any helpful advise as always
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First of all, most boats that are at salvage yards need more work than the yard is going to tell you they do. If they're saying $15-20k... you're probably looking at $40-50k, and for $50-60k, which is what the boat would end up costing you, you could buy a pretty nice 30-35' boat and outfit it quite nicely and go cruising.

Second, a 52' boat is an awfully expensive boat to own and maintain, and probably way too much boat for a sailor of your experience to sail effectively.

Third, I wouldn't bother buying the boat without a through survey, by a very good surveyor—and I wouldn't bother with a survey unless I had gone down to see the boat and saw that it was in relatively good condition.
This is something that takes a bit of knowledge about boats, and experience.

Fourth, dry storage, which is what you'd need to work on the boat would have to be at a boat yard that allows DIY work. Those DIY yards are getting mighty rare. Most DIY yards are geared towards smaller boats, and I doubt that you'll find one that can handle a 52' boat. Most people who own a 52' boat can pay to have the yard do the work on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-26-2008

WuWei is on a distinguished road
Johnniespaceboy, I have to agree with Sailingdog.

Also, you stated you have never owned a sailboat AND there is quite a bit of work to be done on this one. Sorry, mate, but that is a dangerous combination. Are you experienced with fiberglass? Recoring? 12V marine systems wiring? Plumbing? The wonderful world of marine engines? Replacing seacocks? Replacing/rebedding hatches? Replacing bulkheads? Ensuring structural soundness? Blisters? These are just a few of the things you'll be dealing with when purchasing an old boat. Boatyard labor, marine parts, hardware and sails are by no means cheap. Do you even know the structural integrity of the hull? Has it been sunk or hit by lightning? Have you even sailed a 52' boat before?

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but that's the reality. Do yourself a favor and start small, then work your way up. Work on improving your sailing skills and knowledge of boats and systems, as a whole.
Old 03-26-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
1975 Gulfstream 52' ?? saw one for sale from a salvage yard that needs some work, mainly interior etc. was wondering if anyone had any thougts on how much it would cost me to get her on the sea again if i did most of the labor myself...?
Look at 52 foot boats on Yachtworld. Figure out what the average asking price for the older ones is. Subtract the cost of the boat you found from that figure. Multiply your result by one and one third.
Old 03-26-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
johnniespaceboy....... I am between you and Sailingdog/WuWei......(as a matter of fact.....I may be below you).and have to agree wholeheartedly with them........That's a LOT of boat .....Try a much smaller boat with a lot more money in the bank and you'll be a much more educated sailor in no time...
I've lived a long time knowing not much.......but one thing I found out is.....Take advice from those who know........which isn't me except for this single entry....
Old 03-26-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Johnnie,

In spite of the fact that he sails a trimaran, the Dog's right. Odds are this is a very bad deal. Save your money. Buy a smaller boat in good condition. In the end it will cost you less, you'll get to sea quicker and, believe me, sailing is a lot more fun than fixing up a busted boat. Nothing will kill your dream faster than having all your cash sunk in a boat that will never go to sea because you ran out of money and/or energy before it was seaworthy.

Last edited by billyruffn; 03-26-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
This is coming from a guy with steel sailing barge...
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
Johnnie,

In spite of the fact that he sails a trimaran, the Dog's right. Odds are this is a very bad deal. Save your money. Buy a smaller boat in good condition. In the end it will cost you less, you'll get to sea quicker and, believe me, sailing is a lot more fun than fixing up a busted boat. Nothing will kill your dream faster than having all your cash sunk in a boat that will never go to sea because you ran out of money and/or energy before it was seaworthy.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-26-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
I can say that im an idiot that bought a boat without a survey for very cheap. I knew it didnt have a motor, but they didnt tell me about the rotted bulkhead and VERY bad wiring. Ive now gotten another boat to go out on wile im working on the bigger one.

I would advise get a survey done before buying anything.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 03-26-2008
Telstar 28

That finally explains the two boats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDistantStar View Post
I can say that im an idiot that bought a boat without a survey for very cheap. I knew it didnt have a motor, but they didnt tell me about the rotted bulkhead and VERY bad wiring. Ive now gotten another boat to go out on wile im working on the bigger one.

I would advise get a survey done before buying anything.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-27-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Yea it does. It is kinda fun having 2 boats, get bored with one go to the other. Or in our case its been use the Pearson as the workshop and say on Lola, now were back to staying on the Pearson and taking Lola out any chance we get. Calling for good winds friday, taking an old friend of mine out for a sail and dinner.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star