Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 03-27-2008 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Smile Great stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd also check the condition of the interior of the lockers and such. Often, the outer areas are "cleaned up" for sale, but the nooks and crannies will tell you what the real condition of the boat normally was.
'Dog - that is a GREAT suggestion! And, if The Admiral is impressed, will hire a surveyor for round 2.

Val - yes, a leaky deck is a red flag (meaning "stop") to me too, but I have only talked to the broker once about this, and we all know about brokers... Specificaly, I plan to inspect around the stancions on the deck, looking for crazing around them, step around them, to tap around with a plastic hammer, and then (even though it's on stands) to jump on the deck looking for flex. Also I am very familliar with the sailing characteristics of, and room on this model Pearson.

Ahab - The magnum is a yet-to-be classic. Too bad that Chrysler stopped producing them this year. If you are into car collecting, I'd advise taking good care of it.

Tejas - great book reccomendations, but inspection is set for this weekend. I can't read that fast.

TB - you're just lookin for trouble from 'Dog, aren't you... IIRC, 0 < 1 yes?

Thanks to all!

-Ed
post #23 of 42 Old 03-27-2008

The bast advice I can give is that you NEED to buy your own moisture meter AND learn how to use one correctly..

Holland Marine Products out of Canada sells this moisture meter:

For $199.00!! Trust me it will pay for itself the FIRST time you use it. Getting a surveyor out to a boat will cost you a minimum of about $400.00 $600.00 to tell you the thing has decks like sponges that you can;t feel.

With your own moisture meter, and some studying, about proper use, you can eliminate ten boats a day until you find one with dry decks, that you like, and are then willing to commit to a survey on..

Click on the words Holland Marine Products above then scroll down the main page a bit to see the moisture meter..

You can be penny wise and not buy one but TRUST me it will pay for itself during the first use if used properly. I think every boat buyer looking at 30+ foot boats should own one and take the time to learn how to properly use one. Don Casey's book on surveying is also a MUST..

My personal feeling is that if every boat buyer had a moisture meter brokers would smarten up and be a LOT more honest!!! Many brokers have moisture meters and do check decks before listing a boat but then WON'T admit any problems and force you to hire a surveyor $$$$ to find out for yourself.. It's like they are in coo hoots together..

The savvy boat purchaser always comes prepared and owning a moisture meter is the number one thing you can do other than reading and studying books on boat surveying and construction ...

The Pearson 36 is a great boat but not immune to the perils of age..

You did forget one thing though; electrical and wiring (condition, gauge, corrosion, terminations etc.)

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-27-2008 at 10:17 AM.
post #24 of 42 Old 03-27-2008 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Aaahhh, the Moisture meter...

At one time, I actually considered buying one of these. However, I am not a surveyor, nor do I have any experience using one. So, the cost of buying one did not seem to be worth it to me. Then I wondered how they worked, so I started researching them a little. I found two great article about the limitations of them here and here. My research led me to believe that unless I was using it ALL THE TIME, it would likeley be a lightweight "doorstop" (reference to the second link) in my hands.

I believe that a better inspection for moisture is to use infrared imaging. There is a good site, showing some great images of an infrared camera used in conjunction with a moisture meter, from a surveyor that uses this technique here. When (if) I contact a surveyor, this will be something that I will look for.
post #25 of 42 Old 03-27-2008
Telstar 28

I'm just waiting for this to come and bite TB on his A$$.. I can see it happening... his wife hates sailboats because they heel, and she's going to want to buy a catamaran... then what is TB gonna say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
No more than ONE hull.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #26 of 42 Old 03-27-2008
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
she's going to want to buy a catamaran... then what is TB gonna say.
I'll cross that bridge deck when I get to it SD . . . but 'till then, No more than ONE hull.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

True Blue . . .
sold the Nauticat
post #27 of 42 Old 03-27-2008

Ergonomics should be on the list, too.

If the cockpit isn't comfortable or you won't be able to sleep in the berths, there's no need to worry about the moisture meter. If the dodger is exactly at eye level, there will be a cost involved even if it's new and custom.

With everything else that's on the list to check out, it could be easy to forget to climb into the berth or stretch out in the cockpit or imagine steering for a long time. Think about what fit you and your wife, and what didn't fit on OPBs.
post #28 of 42 Old 03-27-2008
Telstar 28

WR's got a good point... if you can't lie down in the berths... you shouldn't even consider the boat...

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #29 of 42 Old 03-27-2008
TAK

Good suggestions..

I did not see any mention of electrical wiring (sorry if I missed it..)
Before turning anything on, (AC unplugged..) I would open up the back of the panel(s) and check for general condition.. neat and tidy? or a rats nest? indicating the owner’s creativity in electricity 101.. Assuming that is in good condition, I would turn on both DC and AC if possible and go through all the lights, plugs, radios, water pressure, Refrg. etc...

As a side note .. After I bought my Caliber, I realized my very well known, highly recommended surveyor in Annapolis missed the 4 extension cords black-taped together to power the water pump..

Good Luck

s/v Mahalo
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
post #30 of 42 Old 03-27-2008 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Thanks guys,

As I said earlier in this thread, my wife and I are familliar with this model Pearson.

Also Jody makes a good point too. Feel all the seals.

My wife will do the white glove test(believe me!)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.