SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   What do YOU look for (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/41695-what-do-you-look.html)

eherlihy 03-26-2008 07:57 PM

What do YOU look for

I'm gonna take another stab at lookin' at a boat. This time The Admiral is going to join me.:) This one is a later model Pearson 36 that's been on the hard all winter.

I would like to know what YOU look for when viewing a boat for the first time. Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!

First thing that I will check out is what the broker described as "some water leakage around the stanchions.":eek: This scares me, but assuming that that is OK, what else would you look for?

I intend to get a surveyor to go over this professionally, and more thouroughly, but I want to figure out if this is worth his time (and my money) before I engage one. (Right CP:) ) Also I assume that the sails and all lines will be stowed for the winter, so I will have the surveyor check them out if it goes that far.

Here is my current checklist:
  • Bottom Paint: (New / Smooth < > Old / Flaking off)
  • Topsides: (Smooth / Clean < > Crazed / Dirty)
  • Deck: (Solid / no soft spots / good nonskid)
  • Stanchions and Lifelines (New < Frayed Rusting)
  • Rigging (New < > Frayed Rusting)
  • Chainplates (Clean / Solid < > Rusting / Loose)
  • Dodger (Custom < > Mail Order)
  • Traveller (Condition and ease of use)
  • Bilge: (Clean / Dry < > Gross / Wet)
  • Batteries: Age and Brand
  • Through Hulls: Material (Bronze / Stainless / Marelon / Brass) Flanged or not)
  • Ground Tackle: Size and type of Anchor and Chain
  • Holding Tank and Waste Plumbing: Condition? Discharge valve?
  • General condition of interior: (Clean / Dry < > Gross / Wet)
  • Woodwork condition:
  • Galley - The Admiral will be the harshest critic here
  • Electronics - Based on a conversation with the broker I am not banking on anything being there, and will factor this into any offer.

What am I forgetting?

Thanks!!!

Ed

Freesail99 03-26-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

What am I forgetting?

Thanks!!!

Ed
ED, I think you missed the engine.

buckeyesailor 03-26-2008 08:03 PM

Good Point Freesail.......
and the galley......What about the galley.....

as I do Like to eat..........

blt2ski 03-26-2008 08:07 PM

Galley is 2nd to last item, with admiral being the harshest critic!

I would add, is this a boat you like and want, does it feel right ambiance wise! Speedy enough etc.

Marty

JohnRPollard 03-26-2008 08:11 PM

eherlihy,

Not specific to what you should look at (although leaking stanchions would be a red flag:( ), but if you decide to purchase this boat, it might be worthwhile to let the owner re-commission it. Yes, take a good look at it while it's out of the water, but let the owner do the work to get it back in sailing trim. Otherwise you are stuck having to get the act together before you even can do a sea-trial.

Others may disagree with this advice, but having been "stuck" with the commissioning work myself (including shoveling snow of the deck so we could launch for sea-trial), I would not do it again. You pay for the survey and launching for sea-trial, but the owner should present the boat ready to show and trial. If he/she is an absentee and can't do this for whatever reason, take your hassle off the price of the boat.

uspirate 03-26-2008 08:22 PM

I think the first thing would be the lines. think to yourself. what what you think of someone who pulled into port on it? what would be your first thought? how much work to getting it to look right for you (blisters etc)? all the rest is basically standard routine maintenance.

buckeyesailor 03-26-2008 08:23 PM

I hear you blt2ski.....but to me.....the galley means food!....Eats...Groceries!...I can do without a smooth bottom, a solid deck, a dry bilge and some electronics........but food..........No can negotiate..........Gotta Eat!
my Admiral will be absent so I'm also Chief Cook and Bottle Washer........the Galley is, to me, second only to a sound hull.....

eherlihy 03-26-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 289590)
eherlihy,

... but if you decide to purchase this boat, it might be worthwhile to let the owner re-commission it. Yes, take a good look at it while it's out of the water, but let the owner do the work to get it back in sailing trim. Otherwise you are stuck having to get the act together before you even can do a sea-trial.

ABSOLUTELY! Any offer that I make would be contingent on the boat being relaunched, and passing a sea trial with a genuine surveyor.

As for the engine:o Yup, I plan to check both the engine and transmission oil, and the belts, and look for a spare impeller.

Also, I will give an overall look at the interior plumbing for cracked / broken hoses, and to see that there is antifreeze in the system.

Thanks already!

KODAD 03-26-2008 08:30 PM

also, look at the maintenance log---you can tell a lot by how well someone keeps records--generally, a well kept log is a good indication of a well kept boat--

eherlihy 03-26-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uspirate (Post 289596)
I think the first thing would be the lines. think to yourself. what what you think of someone who pulled into port on it? what would be your first thought? ...

I gotta say that I drive a station wagon (Mfr calls it an "Avant"), because I like station wagons... Practical yet sporty... IMHO, One of the best looking cars EVER was the Volvo P1800 ES.

Pearsons have been called the "chevy" of sailboats. Practical, yet sporty. I have to say that I like the lines of them Pearsons.