Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
What do YOU look for

I'm gonna take another stab at lookin' at a boat. This time The Admiral is going to join me. This one is a later model Pearson 36 that's been on the hard all winter.

I would like to know what YOU look for when viewing a boat for the first time. Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!

First thing that I will check out is what the broker described as "some water leakage around the stanchions." This scares me, but assuming that that is OK, what else would you look for?

I intend to get a surveyor to go over this professionally, and more thouroughly, but I want to figure out if this is worth his time (and my money) before I engage one. (Right CP ) Also I assume that the sails and all lines will be stowed for the winter, so I will have the surveyor check them out if it goes that far.

Here is my current checklist:
  • Bottom Paint: (New / Smooth < > Old / Flaking off)
  • Topsides: (Smooth / Clean < > Crazed / Dirty)
  • Deck: (Solid / no soft spots / good nonskid)
  • Stanchions and Lifelines (New < Frayed Rusting)
  • Rigging (New < > Frayed Rusting)
  • Chainplates (Clean / Solid < > Rusting / Loose)
  • Dodger (Custom < > Mail Order)
  • Traveller (Condition and ease of use)
  • Bilge: (Clean / Dry < > Gross / Wet)
  • Batteries: Age and Brand
  • Through Hulls: Material (Bronze / Stainless / Marelon / Brass) Flanged or not)
  • Ground Tackle: Size and type of Anchor and Chain
  • Holding Tank and Waste Plumbing: Condition? Discharge valve?
  • General condition of interior: (Clean / Dry < > Gross / Wet)
  • Woodwork condition:
  • Galley - The Admiral will be the harshest critic here
  • Electronics - Based on a conversation with the broker I am not banking on anything being there, and will factor this into any offer.

What am I forgetting?

Thanks!!!

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
What am I forgetting?

Thanks!!!

Ed
ED, I think you missed the engine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
Good Point Freesail.......
and the galley......What about the galley.....

as I do Like to eat..........
Old 03-26-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Galley is 2nd to last item, with admiral being the harshest critic!

I would add, is this a boat you like and want, does it feel right ambiance wise! Speedy enough etc.

Marty
Old 03-26-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
eherlihy,

Not specific to what you should look at (although leaking stanchions would be a red flag ), but if you decide to purchase this boat, it might be worthwhile to let the owner re-commission it. Yes, take a good look at it while it's out of the water, but let the owner do the work to get it back in sailing trim. Otherwise you are stuck having to get the act together before you even can do a sea-trial.

Others may disagree with this advice, but having been "stuck" with the commissioning work myself (including shoveling snow of the deck so we could launch for sea-trial), I would not do it again. You pay for the survey and launching for sea-trial, but the owner should present the boat ready to show and trial. If he/she is an absentee and can't do this for whatever reason, take your hassle off the price of the boat.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-26-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
I think the first thing would be the lines. think to yourself. what what you think of someone who pulled into port on it? what would be your first thought? how much work to getting it to look right for you (blisters etc)? all the rest is basically standard routine maintenance.

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Last edited by uspirate; 03-26-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
I hear you blt2ski.....but to me.....the galley means food!....Eats...Groceries!...I can do without a smooth bottom, a solid deck, a dry bilge and some electronics........but food..........No can negotiate..........Gotta Eat!
my Admiral will be absent so I'm also Chief Cook and Bottle Washer........the Galley is, to me, second only to a sound hull.....
Old 03-26-2008
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
eherlihy,

... but if you decide to purchase this boat, it might be worthwhile to let the owner re-commission it. Yes, take a good look at it while it's out of the water, but let the owner do the work to get it back in sailing trim. Otherwise you are stuck having to get the act together before you even can do a sea-trial.
ABSOLUTELY! Any offer that I make would be contingent on the boat being relaunched, and passing a sea trial with a genuine surveyor.

As for the engine Yup, I plan to check both the engine and transmission oil, and the belts, and look for a spare impeller.

Also, I will give an overall look at the interior plumbing for cracked / broken hoses, and to see that there is antifreeze in the system.

Thanks already!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 03-26-2008
never convicted

KODAD is on a distinguished road
also, look at the maintenance log---you can tell a lot by how well someone keeps records--generally, a well kept log is a good indication of a well kept boat--

100T Master NC
Old 03-26-2008
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspirate View Post
I think the first thing would be the lines. think to yourself. what what you think of someone who pulled into port on it? what would be your first thought? ...
I gotta say that I drive a station wagon (Mfr calls it an "Avant"), because I like station wagons... Practical yet sporty... IMHO, One of the best looking cars EVER was the Volvo P1800 ES.

Pearsons have been called the "chevy" of sailboats. Practical, yet sporty. I have to say that I like the lines of them Pearsons.

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-26-2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: deleted Pic

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.