Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008

BRCincy is on a distinguished road
Looking for a small cruiser, easy to single-hand sail

I have set a goal for myself, that in approximately 3 to 5 years, I will be able to purchase a used boat, and pay cash for it. The type of boat that I would be interested in would be a small pocket cruiser, able to accommodate 1 or 2 people for brief overnight stays, and small 2 or 3 day cruises on the Great Lakes, or other large inland lakes. It should be easy to single-hand sail, have decent lines, and have good balance. At this point, the search is beginning, I am hoping that many of you would comment on different boats that you know of, or have experience with that you believe I ought to consider, and why. These comments will be of great use to me as I research different boats, and begin to look at boats, primarily used boats, that are on the market. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
You might want to include a proposed budget for the boat. It would make recommendations much easier.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2008

BRCincy is on a distinguished road
Yes, of course. Thank you. $22,000.

Last edited by BRCincy; 04-04-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There are alot of boats that fit the criteria you've laid out... and a lot will be up to your personal preference.

The criteria as I read it are:

Trailerable pocket cruiser capable of housing two people for short cruises, say up to a week, and daysailing, on the Great Lakes and other large inland lakes.

Compac, Catalina, Hunter, West Wight Potter, S2 and several others all make boats that would be suitable for those criteria. Your budget will determine a lot of what you can choose from. What kind of vehicle do you have as a tow vehicle, since the tow vehicle will also have a lot to do with what size boat you can get.

I'd also highly recommend that you reserve about $4000-5000 of your budget for refitting, repairing, modifying and upgrading any boat you look at. This is because boats, unlike cars, often need a fair bit of customizing to be best suited for the individuals sailing them. Some will want things like autopilots and lines led aft, to make the boat more suitable for single-handing, others will want refrigeration and cabin electronics, to make the boat more comfortable when at anchor, etc.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-04-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2008

GreenEgg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCincy View Post
Yes, of course. Thank you. $22,000.
What do you mean by small boat?

We have spent up to a week in our 21' Sirius.

It is a very stable boat, and both both my husband and our 16 year old son have taken it out single-hand.

I would imagine they go for between $3500-$7000, with a trailer, depending on the condition.

Last edited by GreenEgg; 04-04-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Decent lines meaning decent looking? How about a Precision 21, or Com-Pac Eclipse, you could buy one nearly new for your budget...

Precision

Com-Pac, she's a beauty...

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 04-04-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The Precision 23 is a very well laid out pocket cruiser. You might also look into the Seaward line. As well as the Com-Pacs as mentioned.

If trailerablity isn't a big concern, you could be looking at even larger boats. Of course, then you have to factor in dockage costs as well.

Best of luck in your search.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-04-2008

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
Years ago someone told me that when buying a boat, buy the biggest one you can afford. The reason being that after a short time you'll wish you had extra room for storage, guests, etc., etc. These sage words are still true today.

It is just as hard/easy to learn to single hand a 30' boat as it is a 21'. After all, nothing is really different. However, for that extra 9', you get space to move about, space to store your gear, space for your crew, space to retire to if the weather turns nasty, and the size to handle much heavier seas than a smaller vessel. Lets face it, you are going to spend almost as much time below decks as topside. If you've ever been stuck in a tent with a couple friends during a rainstorm, you'll know what I mean.

Why not purchase a boat that will suit your needs far into the future? As you and your crew become more and more experienced, you will probably want to spend lots of time aboard and your day sails will become 2-week vacations. Does it really make sense to have to go boat shopping all over again?

As far as having $22K to spend, you'll have hundreds of used boats to choose from. I've been single handing around the Keys and the Bahamas for the past 7 years in a Hunter 30.

If trailerable boats are what your looking for, don't overlook the McGegors and the Westerly's, and the other twin-keels.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2008
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
You could purchase an older 1970's era boat for around $10K to $15K with money left over to add other options, if needed. I agree with the above comment on buying a larger boat now to avoid having to upgrade very shortly.
Try a 27 ft. Catalina, Ranger,San Juan, Cal, S2, or others. They sail well and are easily single-handled. You will find that a trailer-sailer boat gets tiring each and every time you have to put the mast & rigging up & down before the days end. It is much more enjoyable for you and crew to merely arrive at the marina and board yourselves and supplies for a fun day of sailing. Bu, if you don't believe you will be sailing much each year - buy one that is trailerable.
Ask someone pulling a sailboat how often they get down to sail their boat.

Best of luck...
Old 04-04-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
Nice budget!

I plan to buy, provision, and spend three months in the Bahamas on less than that........AND in a bigger boat.....

Best of Luck to ya!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.