Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Keep the Pearson - if Tania Abei could sail around the world on a 26 foot boat (Contessa 26), you can certainly knock around in the Bahamas for awhile in a 26 footer.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2008

QuakeCity is an unknown quantity at this point
It’s sound like you have access to this boat you’re thinking of buying, why do you take pictures of the repairs you believe needs fixing and email to various boat repairs around you district asking for a gestimate on the repair and how long the repair will take, the more feedback you get the better. (Gestimate is a rough guess of total cost, because no one can estimate with only a picture). Maybe if you get some firsthand feedback from someone who has seen the boat, you’ll take in their advice. Because a betting man would have his money on the many senior members that have advised you to let it go!
If anything this information will give you some idea of what you’re really up for; it will take 2-3 times as longer for you to fix, but usually 1/3-1/2 the cost than a ship repairer, that’s a rough guide!
If you’re going to have any chance of doing this, you need all the fact at hand, because you’re talking about dropping a fair bit of coin and several months to boot!
I’m never going to tell you not to chase your dreams, just don’t let the turn into nightmares!
Cheers Q_C
Old 04-11-2008
Hunter

SVSnap is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't touch the P30, having refit a boat and watched poor saps refit many more, take the time you think it'll take and multiply by 3. Same thing my dad did when he built our house.....

if you MUST buy another boat, Joe Patti's yard in Pensacola is having a HUGE auction of blown out boats soon. Call them up.

Hunter
"Benvolere"
Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Alameda, CA
Old 04-11-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Just as an aside as you will end up doing what it is that you do. But do ask yourself ONE question:

You have a 26 footer, and you somehow have it in your head that a 30 footer is actually 4 foot longer. Its only about 15% more interior area but 500% more work than your Pearson.

I had originally thought that maybe a extra 4 foot would do well over the 27 footer I had. Truth be told, not until I got to 34 footers did actual interiors increase in any significant measurement in volume over my C-27's. But size of interior is only one aspect.

You are dealing with a flood damaged vessel. That means you will have to rip out the interior if it has any wood in it to begin with - a simple cleaning is not going to cut it. To get insurance on it a surveyor will be required, and upon noting what will be obvious - if all you did was clean - you'll be surprised at how well a good surveyor will pick up the damage. (they do - do their homework and in most cases will have already researched the history of the boat prior to and if they did not will when they are done).

I know it sounds romantic and something you are capable of doing to get a "bigger boat", but it truly is not. And remember, you will not be able to resell it and actually recoup the losses of what you invest in material - much less your time.

I do echo the sentiments of what others have posted - as my c-27 needs a major overhaul, and my thought process initially was : "Oh I can do it, lengthen it, rebuild the interior, and make it my own". Reality hit as soon as I bought the fiberglass materials to just begin the project. Then common sense got a hold of me. Then I saw the boat I wished I would of bought last year before doing all the work on mine. Then I did the math and a 10K boat is a 10K boat - why put in 15K or more when that means I will still negative arrears when selling.

Your situation is the exact reverse.

Please, do reconsider. If you are more into projects than sailing, then great - just realize refurbishing a boat is not like flipping a damaged house. One rarely EVER gets a return on fixing a neglected boat to begin with much less a flood damaged boat.

At any rate do wish you the best on whatever decision you end up making.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-11-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Hmm. It really depends on where you are going on your "voyage of a lifetime". It isn't if you are that keen on sailing. Life doesn't end at 23.
If it is the Bahamas etc, they have food and water there and it is only a daysail, so you don't need to worryabout capacity too much.
Otherwise if you want to see the South Pacific or wherever there are people looking for good crew, which is cheaper than running your own boat.
As for Cam's suggestion that your boat is fine for one - it is also fine for two. You are younger than he is and he doesn't remember.
Old 04-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is fine for two if the two are fairly friendly... A 26' sailboat isn't anyplace to spend extended periods of time with people you can't stand.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2008

morgan5152 is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents, stick with the Pearson! I owned one for two years, just sold it because the admiral wanted more "conveniences". I would buy a newer outboard for peace of mind. There is a company out there that sells a complete pre-made running rigging setup for a little over $300. Look at Dan P's P26 website for other thoughts on maintenance updates (rudder bushings). Most of all, GO!!
Old 04-11-2008

BrickPearson26 is on a distinguished road
As reluctant as a i am to admit, i think at least some of the reasoning behind me wanting a larger boat is coming from materialistic greed. As the old saying goes, "the bigger the better". But, as numerous members of this board have advised me to do, I think i'm going stick with my Pearson 26. I know the boat inside and out, and have a good understanding of how it handles various conditions.
So now, some further questions:
My current outboard on my boat has seen its fair share of seasons, therefore the possibility of the engine breaking down is very possible. So, what kind of engine part shops are available in the Bahamas? How do the prices on the islands compare to the prices in the U.S? Would I just be better off purchasing a slightly used outboard before leaving?
Also, as far as I can tell, the hull and decks of my pearson 26 seem very solid, with no moisture damage evident. Also, the rigging appears to be in great condition. Would you guys advise me to get the boat surveyed 'just in case' there is something wrong with it?
Old 04-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Brick-

A survey would be a good way of getting a baseline on your boat, and what you'll want to upgrade on her.

A separate rigging survey might not be a bad idea, given the age of your boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Outboard? Allow me to withdraw my prior encouragement. I thought you had an inboard when I made my prior comments. That is a long way to ask an outboard to go...and they can freewheel in heavier conditions. Of course it CAN be done in the right weather and with a reliable engine..but it doesn't sound like you have one.
Outboards are cheaper in the Bahamas by a few hundred bucks and in the populated areas, there is always someone who can work on them as so many depend on them for a living there.
I would get a standing rigging survey and make sure your sails and running rigging are also in good shape....but forget the rest.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.