Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
EmKay--

IIRC, the older boats were solid decks, and the later boats were cored decks. I don't know what years the decks were cored. You should get a survey in any case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
In my local Craigslist. Should I even bother to go look? It's gotta be a piece of crap right? I wasn't planning on buying a big boat until next year at the earliest, but if I go look at this boat and it's solid I would have to buy it.
Nice boats to go out and sail in. Seaworthy design, but you may find it just a little TOO seaworthy for your needs. These boats do not have sliding companionway hatch covers - the deck has a bit of a camber over the companionway, but it is solid. (It has the same arrangement as your Siren).

They are nice boats, but they are purpose-built "niche" boats. Resale will not be as easy as some other boats. If you are looking seriously at this genre also look at Folkboats, the Cape Dory 25, Pearson Triton, etc.

If you're going to be sailing on the Great Lakes, it would be a good idea to get a boat that has been designed for the light airs in the region. Think C&C, CS, Mirage, Tanzer, Northern, Catalina (Tall Rigs), Beneteau, etc. Contessas were designed and built to sail safely on the oceans.

Chances are that you'll be buying something else in the future, so if you buy a popular boat in good condition, and keep it in good condition, then it will be a lot easier to sell than something less well-known. Don't discount the more common boats - there are some very good reasons that so many of them have been sold.

Good Luck !

Check here: boat for sale
Old 04-09-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"sourtherncross, the inboard was removed and replaced with an outboard."
Well, there's a $10,000 price difference. Maybe $5k for a used one and your own labor, but a huge difference. That kind of job usually throws the boat well out of balance, makes it hobbyhorse badly in any kind of weather, to say the least. No sails also is a difference, although many used boats need sails anyhow. The question is, since you now know the boat was either owned by a butcher, or someone with a zero maintenance budget, what else may be wrong with it. Be VERY careful, if there are structural problems of any kind, if it needs rigging, lifelines, the mast or boom...It could easily be cheaper to buy a $10,000 boat which has a working engine and all the pieces included with it.

OTOH maybe you've got a bargain--good luck either way!
Old 04-10-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I just read the rest of the posts here...
Quote:
sourtherncross, the inboard was removed and replaced with an outboard.
This is not good for a boat with this hull shape.
Quote:
The boat seems to be in fair condition. Interior is kinda trashed,but it seems externally sound. I am not sure if I should get it surveyed or not, afterall it is only 1,000. It doesn't have any sails with it, so I am gonna need to get those. As long as everything goes as planned, I should be a proud boat owner within 4 weeks!
I hate to be a wet blanket here, but this is not a $1,000.00 boat. This is a $1,000.00 hull. You need sails, an inboard, instrumentation, safety equipment and extensive interior joiner work. You should be comparing this to other things on the market in the 25 to 35K range, because that is what it is going to cost you to bring the boat back up to snuff.

Check out:

Contessa 26 1975
Main, jib, genoa, storm jib, adjustable reaching pole. Two anchors chain, Autohelm 1000. Diesel inboard. Equipped for cruising. Halyards to cockpit. Cockpit cushions. Masthead and decklights. Full head and holding tank. Little used Bombardier inflatable. A solid boat built for ocean work.
CDN $5,500 firm
(416) 567-2438 evening
E-mail: keperon@sympatico.ca

Alberg 22
5hp Honda 4-stroke, very low hours. Lots of sails including spinnaker. Knotmeter, compass, depth, VHF, autohelm, cradle. Cozy interior features sink, icebox, head, berths for four. Very stable pocket cruiser with great reputation. She's got the prettiest lines on the dock.
CDN $4,800 obo
(905) 547-7747
E-mail: senatorpond@sympatico.ca

Picasa Web Albums - John - Alberg 22 Solace

Bayfield 23/25 1974
Recent main & 150% genoa plus original sails, Simplicitie furling, rebuilt inboard, 2 new Beckson opening ports. Shoal draft. Good Boat needs new home. Lying Lake Nipissing.
CDN $8,500 obo
(705) 752-1296 evening
(705) 752-4342 X226 day
E-mail: nbailey@comsatec.com

Bristol 29 Sailboat
A boat in need of mainly cosmetic work, but a real bargain at $4,500 OBO. Gray Marine 4cyl engine, runs well, the boat sails and handles well.

(519) 542-4869
E-mail: rj_pierce@hotmail.com

C&C 24 1977
Fun Racer/Cruiser in good condition with many upgrades. New main, spinnaker, 3 headsails, 9.9hp Johnson, cradle, VHF and more. Ready to sail. Must See. Photos available.
CDN $6,500 obo
(416) 695-2923 evening
(416) 360-1777 x3490 day
E-mail: ichorniy@sympatico.ca

C&C 24 1983
Complete new interior, fast and comfortable.
CDN $3,000
(705) 333-1567
E-mail: barriedirect@rogers.com

C&C 24 Northern 1974
9.9 Seahorse, four sails, head, hull work 2007, with cradle. Lots of fun, easy to sail. Storage available.
CDN $5,200 neg
(519) 753-0817 evening
(519) 717-5431 day
E-mail: fraserch@sympatico.ca

C&C 25 1972
Well maintained. Complete sailing package in very good condition. 7.5hp Mercury longshaft O/B. Single axle trailer. 5W solar charger, VHF radio, icebox, pumpout head. All rigging, sails and equipment in good condition. All safety gear included. For more information call Greg Stratychuk.
CDN $11,300
(905) 938-2428 day
E-mail: greg@cliftsmarine.com

C&C 25 1976
This is a solid boat, great for both cruising & racing. Johnson outboard engine, spinnaker gear and more. Call South Shore Yachts (905)274-4340 Port Credit.
CDN $9,000
(905) 468-4340
E-mail: service@southshoreyachts.com
Web: Dealer of Bavaria Yachts, Contest Yachts and C&C Parts

C&C 27 MK1 1971
Red hull. Yanmar diesel. Two mains, three head sails, spinnaker, VHF, knot/log, depth. Oldie but goodie. Lying Parry Sound, ON.
CDN $11,000
(705) 342-9584
E-mail: dicksue@vianet.ca

Last edited by Sailormann; 04-10-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2008

Livinondreams is on a distinguished road
There are 2 contessas circumnavigating now that have removed the inboards,and apparently some contessas came from the factory with an outboard engine. but I do see what you are saying,I will get it surveyed when I get home and we'll see just what I might be getting into.

Emkay- I just saw that ad for the contessa on the contessa website,words getting out
Old 04-10-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If some came with factory outboards, don't assume that was the only change. It is very easy for the factory to rebalance the boat by adding or subtracting some ballast to compensate for the different engine--and you'd never know that from a casual look. The fact that two are circumnavigating doesn't mean the outboard balances the boat properly, it just means "anyone can do anything" provided the Gods are kind. I think we've all seen, or used, ancient blown out sails that "worked fine". And found out the incredible difference it makes when you have REAL sails up instead.[g]

The main reason to look carefully, is that IF the hull has damage, and IF the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the repaired boat, you may wind up with a very expensive derelict. In many states you can't just get rid of an old boat, it has to be sliced up and hauled away to a hazmat landfill--at an incredible price. It is not unknown for people in that position to say "Great Project Boat!" and try to sell it irresistably cheap, knowing that somewhere out there, someone will take it off their hands. And get stuck with a hole in the water.

So good hunting--but make haste slowly.
Old 04-10-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If some came with factory outboards, don't assume that was the only change. It is very easy for the factory to rebalance the boat by adding or subtracting some ballast to compensate for the different engine--and you'd never know that from a casual look. The fact that two are circumnavigating doesn't mean the outboard balances the boat properly, it just means "anyone can do anything" provided the Gods are kind. I think we've all seen, or used, ancient blown out sails that "worked fine". And found out the incredible difference it makes when you have REAL sails up instead.[g]

The main reason to look carefully, is that IF the hull has damage, and IF the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the repaired boat, you may wind up with a very expensive derelict. In many states you can't just get rid of an old boat, it has to be sliced up and hauled away to a hazmat landfill--at an incredible price. It is not unknown for people in that position to say "Great Project Boat!" and try to sell it irresistably cheap, knowing that somewhere out there, someone will take it off their hands. And get stuck with a hole in the water.

So good hunting--but make haste slowly.
Good insight!

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-11-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I'm going to look at this boat tomorrow, but not with a serious intention to buy it, unless it's spectacular, I will take some pictures and post them here, maybe someone else here would be interested. I am probably going to buy the o'day 192, the owner of that boat just sent me pics, and it looks like a decent boat for the money, it has more of what I need than the Mariner I was considering, like a more comfortable cockpit, a roomier cabin, and a keel (sort of)

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 04-12-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
I'm going to look at this boat tomorrow, but not with a serious intention to buy it, unless it's spectacular, I will take some pictures and post them here, maybe someone else here would be interested. I am probably going to buy the o'day 192, the owner of that boat just sent me pics, and it looks like a decent boat for the money, it has more of what I need than the Mariner I was considering, like a more comfortable cockpit, a roomier cabin, and a keel (sort of)
Moving from the Siren to a 19 footer doesn't seem much of a move.... maybe have another good look at Sailormann's list above.

The others' points about the Contessa are well taken - the "submarine" hatch that isn't really conducive to weekending and sheltered cruising would be hard to live with. They are bulletproof little cruisers - to be sure - and if this one checks out it could well be a bargain. If that's the type of boat you're really after.

Another good candidate for you at a similar market value would be a Ranger 26 - space, performance and better potential resale.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-12-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Moving from the Siren to a 19 footer doesn't seem much of a move.... maybe have another good look at Sailormann's list above.
Maybe if you are not familiar with the specs of either boat. All those boats listed would be great 3rd boats, but the o'day would be a 2nd boat. I'm not really looking to buy a cruiser right now, just something a little better than the Siren.

The O'day 192 weighs double what the Siren weighs, has at least 2' more clearance from the cockpit seats to the boom, and has at least 6" more clearance from the cockpit floor to the seats. It will be a much different boat to sail, and a much more comfortable and stable boat to sail. Not to mention the fact that it's 10 years newer, comes with a large sail inventory, a real outboard, and costs $200 less than I just sold my Siren for.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.