Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Contessa 26 for $3900?!?

In my local Craigslist. Should I even bother to go look? It's gotta be a piece of crap right? I wasn't planning on buying a big boat until next year at the earliest, but if I go look at this boat and it's solid I would have to buy it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2008

Livinondreams is on a distinguished road
They do pop up for a good price every now and then. I found one for 1000 and in 3 weeks I will hopefully own it. If its in good shape and you decide your ready to get another boat then go for it, those contessa's will take you wherever you need to go,as long as you don't mind a somewhat small cabin
Old 04-08-2008

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Livin, so is it a Contessa that you have decided upon? If so, do they have an inboard or outboard motor? What kind of shape is it in? For 1g hiring a surveyor might not even be worth it (not that you said you were). What kind of shape is it in? I think your plans are great and i wish i had done the same thing at your age.
Old 04-09-2008

sanjuanderer is on a distinguished road
Contessa 26 is a $10000 boat in my neck of the woods
$3900, makes you wonder!
Old 04-09-2008

Livinondreams is on a distinguished road
sourtherncross, the inboard was removed and replaced with an outboard. The boat seems to be in fair condition. Interior is kinda trashed,but it seems externally sound. I am not sure if I should get it surveyed or not, afterall it is only 1,000. It doesn't have any sails with it, so I am gonna need to get those. As long as everything goes as planned, I should be a proud boat owner within 4 weeks!
Old 04-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is definitely worth taking a look at... sometimes it is a boat being sold by the family of a sailor and they don't know what the boat is worth. Sometimes the boat is just in rouch shape cosmetically and all it needs is a good cleaning.

A Contessa 26 is an excellent small bluewater boat. They're very solid boats and have few areas of concern since IIRC they were made with solid decks and hulls--so core delamination isn't an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-09-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
It's a good way to spend a Saturday morning. Go look.
Old 04-09-2008
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinondreams View Post
sourtherncross, the inboard was removed and replaced with an outboard. The boat seems to be in fair condition. Interior is kinda trashed,but it seems externally sound. I am not sure if I should get it surveyed or not, afterall it is only 1,000. It doesn't have any sails with it, so I am gonna need to get those. As long as everything goes as planned, I should be a proud boat owner within 4 weeks!
Good for you -- and a nice choice too.
Old 04-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Living--

even though the boat is only a $1000...get a survey. It would give you a very good starting plan for what needs to be upgraded/repaired/replaced and what can be ignored to start with.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-09-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I emailed the guy, It's everything I want except standing headroom, but I can overlook that for a boat with the reputation of a Contessa.

Sailingdog, I believe I read in John Vigor's book (20 small boats yada yada) that it has a balsa core on deck, it's something I may have surveyed.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.