SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   A "Fixer-Upper" (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/42203-fixer-upper.html)

JohnRPollard 04-12-2008 09:31 PM

A "Fixer-Upper"

A 2004 Beneteau 423, for $25K U.S., just needs a little TLC:

LINK

buckeyesailor 04-12-2008 09:41 PM

TLC: Take a Lot o' Cash!

paulk 04-12-2008 09:57 PM

Should be TKO instead of TLC. Take K Off the price; for $25.00 it might be worth it.

Maine Sail 04-12-2008 10:01 PM

By the time...

By the time you've paid 25K, trucked it to where it will be repaired and paid to repair that boat you could have bought a brand new Hinckley Sou' Wester 42!!! That boat is scrap!!

blt2ski 04-12-2008 10:07 PM

This is one of those, if you have a good hulk, or are building a boat, for $25K you may end up with more deck gear, kitchen gear, heater etc than you paid for the boat! Something to think about too!

Marty

AjariBonten 04-12-2008 10:26 PM

'smatter John, not up to the challenge???? ;)

Wow, what a wreck :eek:

I can't believe that is even being listed. I ca'e even imagine parting that out!

artbyjody 04-12-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blt2ski (Post 299315)
This is one of those, if you have a good hulk, or are building a boat, for $25K you may end up with more deck gear, kitchen gear, heater etc than you paid for the boat! Something to think about too!

Marty

From the looks of it - all that gear was submersed (being punched in the bow, port and starboard below the waterline)- I doubt too much of salvage value is in the interior (or any what so ever).

blt2ski 04-12-2008 10:38 PM

Jody,

you could be correct in your thinking too. Then again, with out being in front of said boat..........neither or both of us could be correct. If the engine does indeed work, with low hrs, all of a sudden you have a 10K motor availible to you. If the rigging ie mast etc is truely working and usable, and your building a boat, or have a hulk, or an equal boat that has lost the rigging, you doing good again.

Many times salvage a hulk like this, and sell the parts for more than you paid, happens at car junk yards all the time. This may be an equal
thing in boat speak if you will!

Did you close on Hello Gorgeous today? did not race, just sheryl and I for crew, she decided brunch would be more fun! One does not argue with the admiral!

marty

Valiente 04-13-2008 01:24 PM

Just remember that if you scrap it for parts (based on the above comments, I haven't even clicked the link), you're on the hook for disposal of several tons of fibreglass.

I've often wondered if you inverted an abused hull, sliced off the first eight feet cleanly, sliced off the keel for the lead, and put the whole hull on a concrete pad raised up on three feet of cinder block, wouldn't it make a really nice workshop/tool shed? You could recycle the deck hatches to open out of the hull for ventilation, and simply make a wooden or metal "bulkhead" for the front door. Aft quarter berths could hold racks of garden tools, PVC pipe, 2 x 4s, etc. Thru hull could be exhaust ports for table saws, and so on.

And it would last for a hundred years...

eMKay 04-13-2008 09:49 PM

Meh. A trip to autozone, some glass, some resin, some hardener, a few cans of spray paint, done. Stronger than original :)