Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
Dan: The C&C's were likely Canadian built so there is no problem in bringing them back. There would be no issues either if they were U.S. built boats (or Mexican for that matter) due to NAFTA. Several posters on Sailnet have imported boats and I've checked in the past with the CRA. The G.S.T. is payable as is provincial sales tax (assuming you are not in Alberta). One issue to inquire about is avoiding paying sales tax in the state where you are buying the boat if it is for export to Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Go for the unraced 32. I own a C&C design and have raced on many models, and they are really beautiful sailers in most conditions and very safe when you understand their "little ways". But the fatal flaw on C&Cs is the balsa-core deck and the fact that they usually go through a freeze-thaw cycle every winter. Racing strains the deck fitting and the deck to hull join, plus the usual stuff like stanchion bases, winch bases, etc. This can lead to water intrusion, and not all C&C (or many to my knowledge) had solid fibreglass where the thru-bolts attach the deck gear to the underside of the cabins, and where fender washers serve instead of the better option of backing plates. Also, the wiring in many older C&Cs is strictly house-grade...not remotely to today's code.

A freshwater-only one will generally be in better condition than a salt-water one, but you MUST get a survey to determine the real state of affairs. Think of it as a bargaining chip, because a survey WILL reveal issues in a C&C, but you can live with some issues, and others, not so much. Good luck. Where would you be sailing out of?
Old 04-13-2008

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
As far as importing a boat into Canada if the boat is made in North America, which C&Cs are, there is no duty. GST always applies. There is no PST on used boats imported into Quebec and there is no PST in Alberta. If you are going to register the boat use a Quebec or Alberta hailing port and avoid PST.
Old 04-13-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Both seem overpriced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-13-2008

toothdawg is on a distinguished road
I think..

his prices are in Canadian dollars.
Old 04-13-2008

skypilot73 is on a distinguished road
What would be the price to purchase a furling rig?

Are there any good online shops that are recommended so that I can browse some of the costs associated with equipment.

Thanks again

Dan
Old 04-13-2008

skypilot73 is on a distinguished road
I am based in Calgary, Alberta and would be mooring the boat in Victoria. So can I register the boat in Calgary and keep it on the coast to save costs on the tax?

Thanks

Dan
Old 04-13-2008

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Gst

Boats built and sold before GST was introduced do not have to pay it. They have the old FST built in and are exempt IIRC.
Old 04-13-2008

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Skypilot, the only port of registration in Alberta is Edmonton. As far as FST vs GST that certainly is worth checking out. Since the boat is being imported it may not be GST exempt as the FST may not have been paid when it was exported.
Old 04-13-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerregis View Post
Boats built and sold before GST was introduced do not have to pay it. They have the old FST built in and are exempt IIRC.
Possible.... my son only recalls paying one tax on a 1973 boat imported in 2005 - that would have been PST. Worth confirming....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot73 View Post
I am based in Calgary, Alberta and would be mooring the boat in Victoria. So can I register the boat in Calgary and keep it on the coast to save costs on the tax?

Thanks

Dan
Yes you can... take a look around Sidney Harbour marina - most boats are Alberta licensed.

BTW big difference between "registry" and "licencing" in Canada. Licencing is free and uncomplicated, you get a "BC (or ALberta) number" to apply to the boat... And you can claim any hailing port you like.

Registering involves name searches, fees, and a "blue book" - and your vessel goes into the Canadian Shipping Registry. There are advantages, one of which is not having to display a "number" on the hull of the vessel.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 04-13-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.