Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008

citation34 is on a distinguished road
Actually, it's not that big. That picture was taken in Still's bathtub!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'Liberty' Citation 34
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have had excellent experience with BoatUS on three separate claims, over 25 years, including a lighting strike in which we kept finding new pieces of damaged electrical components and they never flinched. Plus they have a program where you tell them what is was damaged and they buy the equipment and send it to you saving the trouble of tracking it down, paying for it and trying to get reimbursed.

Jeff
Old 04-13-2008

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
My Experience

Cam, Jeff,

Thanks for you comments

As a knee jerk reaction I called my home owners insurance company and they have an insurance partner that insures boats. So I have a quote from them, which seemed reasonable ($$), and covered more than just my local sailing area, it included a fair part of the coast south as well. But I will check out BoatUS this week.
Old 04-16-2008

My Experience Update

I have a few more thoughts to add to my boat buying experience and a question. I have had generally good experience dealing with the brokkers. Several, who have shown me boats, have many years experience in boating including running marina's. They admit they are not salespeople and are more interested in me having a good experience in buying a boat as much of their business is repeat from either their sales or someone else's. I have also not run into any bias in surveyor recommendations. I was given a list of a dozen in the area and that was it.

I intend to go with a separate engine survey, even though the general surveyor says I could hold off on this until we run the boat on the sea trial and determine if the engine is not performing as it should. But I have to move the boat from NE to NC and I would prefer to know that the engine has been thoroughly checked out.

Also, I am considering a rigging survey. The boat is approaching 20 years old and is a mid size sloop around 35' ( I am still being silent about what boat it is until I get the survey's done, just because). The rigging is rod rigging, the boat has been kept and maintained in a yard every winter where the rigging is removed and the mast restepped in the spring. Any deficiencies have been dealt with by the PO and the yard, religiously. The rigging surveyor gave me an admittedly high (conservative) estimate for the survey (~$500). Which has made me stop and think about having it done. If the general surveyor will look at the rigging before the mast is stepped (although he admits he is not going to be able to do as complete a job as the rigging experts) and the yard will make sure the rigging is in good working order when they set the boat up. Do I really need a written report that seems to cover the same ground? Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-16-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
Well, Maybe.
If the rigger is a GOOD one, he can probably do a better job than a good surveyor on the ground with everything where he can see it, but maybe not if he's not a great rigger.
If it's rod rigging I don't think it can be very old, can't remember when it started being seen alot but it wasn't 20 years ago. Was it ? anyone ?
Old 04-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rod rigging has been around quite a while.... about 25 years or so. My friend's C&C 38 is rod rigged and is from the mid eighties IIRC.

Good idea to go with a separate engine survey given your plans. I'd recommend getting a rigging survey as well. For the trip from NE to NC, I'd carry at least one piece of 316 rigging wire with mechanical swageless ends that is as long as the longest piece on the boat... just in case of an emergency.

I'd get any "reports" about the condition of the boat in writing. If they missed something, the written report will be the difference between it being he said and having proof of what he said.

Good luck and fair winds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-30-2008

My Boat Buying Experience (cont.)

The boat went thru the general and the rigging survey this week and so far there are no major issues. There is only the sea trial and the engine survey to complete. So I will reveal the boat I am purchasing as the Holby Clearwater 35. You can find the boat still on Yachtworld if you search under sailboats for the manufacturer Holby, there are only 3 boats listed. These pictures are from YW but I assure you they match the pictures I took while on the boat.

The only difference is the boat is on the hard, in a shed, so I could not show the full boat in one of my shots. With these surveys done, the boat should go in the water the end of this week.

The general survey went very well and took about 3 and a half hours. About the first hour was spent with the surveyor alternating between striking a nylon hammer and reading his moisture meter all around the hull and then on the deck. He covered the entire surface(s) at varying spacings, concentrating in some areas. He was listening and looking for differences, mostly. At one point he stopped and indicated that this area of the hull was showing elevated moisture, but I was able to identify that as the location of the water tanks. As the boat was up on jack stands and we had to climb a ladder to get into it, he had not been on the boat and did not know their location.

As I mentioned in one of my initial posts (about a year and half ago) when I was just starting to look for a boat, I need a boat with a shallow draft for the creek we are on in NC. This boat qualifies as it has a true swing keel that raises almost entirely into the cabin. With the keel up the boat only draw 1' 10"! (Note: the rudder also kicks up). I did not need this shallow of a draft, but this boat is in such good condition that it was very hard to pass it up.

The negotiations for purchase also went well. The boat has been on the market for a year (or more) and I was able to get it at a significant discount. I possibly could have done even better, but I established what I felt the boat was worth (to me) and was able to better that by a little. Needless to say I will spend the money on some upgrades anyway. Most notably will be for an autopilot and a chartplotter. While the current instruments are fairly new (2006) they do not include these items. So I will be looking for a combination of the two that talk to each other and include a GPS. I probably will want the ability to overlay radar at some future date.

My plans are to move the boat from CT to NC this summer, so I am also looking for advice on such a trip. The cost of trucking the boat to NC is around $2k, but I think the trip should be fun and a good learning experience. I have been searching the forums for ICW and Heading south threads, but most of those start at VA. Any pointers to the best books and threads for advice are welcome.

I really do feel that I could not have made my way through the decision process without the advice I have found in the sailnet forums, so I want to thank all who contribute their expertise and experience again.
Old 05-01-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hey Ron...she is in beautiful condition and seems ideal for these waters. All good wishes!
As to the route south...search under hell gate for recent threads on how to get from CT to past NYC. Much detail in a recent thread
Also check out http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...tml#post262594
for an overview of the rest of the route and some resources. Start a new thread if you need more input as several here have done the trip. With your new draft...you can even go inside on the NJ ICW instead of offshore...not an option for most of us!
Old 05-01-2008

My boat buying experience

Cam;
Thanks, I have read the recent Hell Gate thread (I think it was a CT to up the Hudson topic) and took many notes about tide, time, currents and which side of islands to go around. I will check into your other suggestions, as well as starting a new thread on the trip. I will be taking my time as I have 'other' issues to deal with as well. I will spend some time in CT learning the boat; the boat yard will graciously let me use their dock for a few weeks. And then head south, but I have not settled on a schedule yet. But so far it has been smooth sailing.
Old 05-01-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Pretty boat CapnRon,
I'm glad some of the collective wisdom and lack thereof provided enough salt and common sense to help your process of selection.
Next time try to get a boat with both hulls