Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeapple View Post
I guess I should qualify my criteria a little better:

decent size cabin - I'm not talking about anything opulent, just something that two people could sleep semi-comfortably. enough room to jam a portapotty in would be nice.

open-water - definitely with in site of land. I'm thinking a bit ahead in where I'd like to sail and at some point I know I will want to venture outside of the harbor to explore some other places.

beginner-friendly - I guess I would be looking for a boat that I could handle single-handedly , I don't really know how to further describe - could I say "simple rigging". Fixed keel boats keep coming up as a good type to start out, very stable ...

Though I know I am probably describing a pocket cruise, Could I meet these criteria with a daysailer?

I'm actually located in nova scotia
Aquarius 23. Nice v-berth with a porta-potty. Two aft berths that are fairly comfortable. Folding table. Sink. You'll probably need your own portable stove of some sort. Get one of those 5 day coolers. Easy to sail single handed. Plenty of room in the cockpit for 4. Easy to tow. I tow mine with a Dodge Dakota. Easy to load on the trailer. Easy to raise the mast and be ready to sail in about an hour with two people doing it.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
sailboat recommendations-me1-004.jpg  

Last edited by Andyman; 04-15-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2008

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
It will be hard to get a catalina 27 for 4k unless its a gas inboard model or an outboard model. I have however seen catalina 25's in your price range and the cabin layout is pretty similar to the 27. They all have porta potta and I believe a small galley.
Old 04-15-2008

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Bakeapple, seriously, take a good look at a Mirage 24 as I mentioned earlier. I have sailed on just about every boat mentioned here and for what you want I don't think you can do better,
There are a lot of them around the Great Lakes and Eastern Canada. You should be able to get one for about 4K but it will need some things. They are a very well built boat with solid glass hull and deck so no worries there. They take heavy weather very well and are big enough to stay on. A great boat for a novice.

Gary
Old 04-15-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I've been looking at a pacewind bluejacket, anyone have any opinions on that particular boat?
Bluejacket 23 Section
Nice boats.

Last edited by Sailormann; 04-15-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2008

bakeapple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary m
Bakeapple, seriously, take a good look at a Mirage 24 as I mentioned earlier
Those are very nice boats, I don't know if I can get one in my price range though. They seem to fluctuate between 4K-9K ... and I would imagine the one's in the higher range have had some work done to them - would that suggest that if I managed to find one for around 4000 , I would have to use a couple more thousand to get it up to snuff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormann
Bluejacket 23 Section
Nice boats.
My thoughts exactly, I've read quite a few good things about the paceships.

The boat itself belongs to a friend who takes really good care of all his "toys" ... Not sure on the price yet as we haven't formally discussed anything but after some searching around I think this will be within my stated price range.

I'm really hoping to get something in the water for june ... keepin' my fingers crossed
Old 04-16-2008

daydreams is on a distinguished road
Consider a Seidelmann

Seidelmann made good boats that meet all your criteria.
Bob Seidelmann helped deign the original Hunter 25 and then started his own company. Seidelmann boats are built stronger that Hunters or Catalinas of the same vintage. There is a Seidelmann owners site which may be helpful.
Old 04-22-2008

thanks for the responses all ... I will be constantly checking out the merchant, kijiji, and craigslist until I find a suitable boat
Old 04-24-2008

Saj22 is on a distinguished road
I'm in a similar situation...looking for first boat, have sailed quite a bit with friends on their boats, have taken a sailing course last summer and am now ready to get something of my own.

In addition to all the criteria you've mentioned, I've got an added one and that is easy trailering and launching. I've landed on a Southcoast 22, it is old, but in good shape from what I can tell. The swing keel allows for easy trailering and launching.

I say I've landed on the Southcoast 22, however still haven't pulled the trigger on a purchase yet. Have looked at 4 of them, the first 3 were in pretty rough shape but I wasn't able to make that determination until I saw the 4th and it was clearly in much better shape than the others.

Any thoughts on this boat from the group is appreciated!

Saj
Old 04-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saj22 View Post
In addition to all the criteria you've mentioned, I've got an added one and that is easy trailering and launching. I've landed on a Southcoast 22, it is old, but in good shape from what I can tell. The swing keel allows for easy trailering and launching.
I actually had that on my list originally, but I had changed my mind before I made the posting. I figure for the first couple of years I'll just keep her docked, as I want to maximize my sailing time. I'm not really up for all the rigamarole involved with launching a boat.

Down the road though, I betcha this will change :-)

Oooh, and since we're on the topic: How does the stability compare between a fixed keel and swing keel?

Last edited by bakeapple; 04-24-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2008

kaptan is on a distinguished road
Definitely Catalina 27. There are plenty of them in southern CA.