Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008

bakeapple is on a distinguished road
sailboat recommendations

Hey All,

I've been giving serious thought to purchasing my first boat and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on a good first boat. I have an idea of the qualities that are important to me but not sure what boat would match up them.

I'm looking for a daysailer that:

* beginner friendly ( for whatever that's worth )
* suitable for solo sailing
* nice size cockpit ( 2 people comfortably, 4 with a squeeze )
* decent size cabin, I would love to do some overnights
* good on open water

Is it possible to find a boat with those attributes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2008

captainchetco is on a distinguished road
Acceptable boats

There are so many boats that meet those criteria that it would be impossible to list them all. Look in the 20 to 24' range. There are Ventures, Rangers, Morgans and a thousand others.

Look a lot, Craig's List is a good start for bargains. Good sails are important, as they are expensive. Standing rigging on a small boat is not expensive, if you buy the wire and can nicro crimp. Running rigging, (lines) can be expensive, but on a small boat need not be. Look for real stress cracks related to where a boat sits on a trailer, and where cleats, chain plates and other attachments are made...Shine a bright light through the hull if you want to look closely for damage repairs.

I have seen good 21' boats sell for $1000, on a usuable trailer.

Good luck and happy sailing!
Old 04-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainchetco View Post
There are so many boats that meet those criteria that it would be impossible to list them all. Look in the 20 to 24' range. There are Ventures, Rangers, Morgans and a thousand others.

Look a lot, Craig's List is a good start for bargains. Good sails are important, as they are expensive. Standing rigging on a small boat is not expensive, if you buy the wire and can nicro crimp. Running rigging, (lines) can be expensive, but on a small boat need not be. Look for real stress cracks related to where a boat sits on a trailer, and where cleats, chain plates and other attachments are made...Shine a bright light through the hull if you want to look closely for damage repairs.

I have seen good 21' boats sell for $1000, on a usuable trailer.

Good luck and happy sailing!
Thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely take a look at those... The more I read, the more I am refining exactly what I want ... a pocket cruiser seems to be right for me

Is it possible to find a pocket cruiser for less than 4K canadian? and can anyone recommend a particular model.
Old 04-14-2008

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't expect a lot for $4k CDN given your criteria (decent size cabin - overnights) also beginner freindly sounds contradictive to open water - what is open water to you?
Most of your criteria fits pocket cruiser size 24-28 feet, My MacGregor 26 fits them all if open water does not mean out of site of land but getting one @ 4K is a stretch. You can get a nice little daysailor for that $$ though.
Old 04-14-2008

korsan is on a distinguished road
Catalina 27
Old 04-14-2008

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
I assume you in the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence area. This is a good place to start - keep in mind the prices listed are asking and not selling.
boat for sale-classifieds
Old 04-14-2008

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Mirage 24

For a small starter boat in the Great Lakes area I would look into a Mirage 24. They sail very well, will handle heavy weather on the lakes as well as or better than most in that size range and you can crusie on them.
Cabin is small but my wife and I used to cruise for 2-3 weeks on one. Of course we were much younger then.

If you get interested in racing down the road they fare pretty well there as well.

Gary
Old 04-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKermie View Post
I wouldn't expect a lot for $4k CDN given your criteria (decent size cabin - overnights) also beginner freindly sounds contradictive to open water - what is open water to you?
Most of your criteria fits pocket cruiser size 24-28 feet, My MacGregor 26 fits them all if open water does not mean out of site of land but getting one @ 4K is a stretch. You can get a nice little daysailor for that $$ though.
I guess I should qualify my criteria a little better:

decent size cabin - I'm not talking about anything opulent, just something that two people could sleep semi-comfortably. enough room to jam a portapotty in would be nice.

open-water - definitely with in site of land. I'm thinking a bit ahead in where I'd like to sail and at some point I know I will want to venture outside of the harbor to explore some other places.

beginner-friendly - I guess I would be looking for a boat that I could handle single-handedly , I don't really know how to further describe - could I say "simple rigging". Fixed keel boats keep coming up as a good type to start out, very stable ...

Though I know I am probably describing a pocket cruise, Could I meet these criteria with a daysailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrb
I assume you in the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence area. This is a good place to start - keep in mind the prices listed are asking and not selling.
I'm actually located in nova scotia
Old 04-14-2008

petegingras is on a distinguished road
O'day are nice little boats in that range, 22' or Catalina 25' or 27'. Catalina's in the range have a good size cockpit, and the companion way is a wide V. In that price range you'll be looking at a tiller, which is a plus and a minus. Plus, there's more room in the cockpit at achor or dock with the till up and stored, minus is you need space to swing the tiller under sail and tacking or jibing.

As for single handing, roller furling, in that size of boat you're looking at another $800-$1,200. Then there's the main, to hoist, you can run the main sheet over the cabinhouse to the cockpit and terminate at a cam cleet easy enough.
Old 04-14-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
lots of them out there and would a good boat for what you want to do. 26 ft pearson
1976 Pearson Sloop Boat For Sale

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.