Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008

petegingras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
he can't take the US boat back to Brazil, unless it's for short visits
copacabana, expalin...the boat is not restricted by any visa limitations like a non-national citizen. His post clearly states he's looking at other countires to purchase, and he's seeking advice on where to locate the best trade.

Brazil is so restrictive that the import of vessels is prohibted by nationals?
Old 04-16-2008

copacabana is on a distinguished road
That's the law in Brazil. As a Brazilian (or whatever nationality) he can purchase a boat abroad, but he can't nationalize the boat. The boat can't stay in Brazil for more than 6 months at a time. If his plans are to liveaboard in Brazil most of the year, he'd be better off buying a boat in Brazil to avoid the need to keep leaving the country. Stupid law, I know, but it's there to "protect" the Brazilian boat industry. He can buy a new foreign boat, but with all the taxes and duties etc., it's just way too expensive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2008

petegingras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's the law in Brazil
Wow, that's a bad law. Is boatbuilding a big industry in Brazil? No wonder our trade deficit is ever increasing.

can he build his own?
Old 04-16-2008

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Yes, bad law. And no, Brazil doesn't build a lot of boats. In fact, very few boats. That's probably a big part of the problem- no economy of scale, so boats are expensive. Also, there are heavy taxes levied against boats in Brazil. However, he can build his own no problem. A lot of people build their own as there is a real lack of proper vruising boats in Brazil.
Old 04-17-2008

danontuba is on a distinguished road
Amigos,

First of all, thank you for the welcome and all of the responses.

CD: thanks for the good advice, and for the insight about the distinction between "coastal cruisers/liveonboard" and "bluewater". I was not aware that some sailboats were more equal than others. Actually, I have spoken with some skippers who have sailed Beneteaus to Brazil for importers. I believe there were some issues with cabinetry not closing properly after the trip, but I was not told anything disparaging about seaworthiness. Of course, the internal shifting must indicate some undesirable torsion of the hull...I would imagine.

John: I don't have much experience, just a deep desire for a life change. and therefore I am deeply grateful for all the information and advice from you experienced sailors. Some have given me the same advice as you: to start with a 32 to 35 footer to gain experience. But I also realize that the comfort factor is critical for me and that I will probably stay put in Brazil for a while making short trips between Ubatuba, Paraty, Angra and Rio.

teshannon: why is teak a problem? Thank you for the tip on the Passports. By the way, I live on a farm here in Brazil and plant teak and cedro maria (another hardwood for naval construction)!

buckeyesailor: thanks for the welcome.

Marty: thanks for the info on ACR.

copacabana: e aŪ, camarada! thanks for your input. I want to let you know that a brand new law has come into effect that will allow foreign boats to remain legally here for 2 full years (yes!)...then you have to take a trip to Uruguay for a little while and come back for 2 more. I think that given the cost differential with our domestic prices, it's become much more viable for us to purchase one and not have it registered here....and the added benefit of less bureaucratic hassle. you guessed right, I'm in lovely Ubatuba. Do send an email if you are nearby. I would be curious to know about your experience here.

petegingras: yes, for now, mostly a home. I will look into the models you mentioned. Thank you. By the way, many people have mentioned it is cost-effective to build your own vessel here. I have lots of space to work with, there are lots of great hardwoods here, but no experience either with woodworking or fiberglass. I would be afraid of making critical building mistakes that would compromise safety. My original inclination was to leave it to the pros, but I don't discard the idea to be honest. I would actually like the idea of making it just as I want it.

Again, thanks for all the replies. Best wishes to everyone.

Daniel
Old 04-17-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Daniel,
Teak decks are not always a problem but can be. If they are screwed down and not plugged and sealed properly water can intrude into the deck core and cause rot problems. A good survey can tell you if they are near end of life and if you have water in the decks but if you do have deck issues it is not easy the ascertain the extent of the damage. If the decks are in good shape it would not deter me but if questionable I personally would stay away from them. They can be awful hot also which might be a consideration for you.
Old 04-17-2008

danontuba is on a distinguished road
heat is definitely an issue here. boats with poor circulation are very uncomfortable at these latitudes
Old 04-17-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Daniel,
I thought it might be. The Tayana 42 has 5 large dorades, 6 opening hatches, and 13(I think) opening portholes. Lots of good ventilation. Mine has a number of fans and reverse cycle ac/heat.
Old 04-17-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Daniel,

here is teh home page link to the ARC it turns out.
Welcome to World Cruising Club: ARC

Entry from last yr list.
Entry List for World Cruising Club: ARC

I do not know about how many other brands, but being as i own an older Jeanneau, the owners site listed 19 Jeanneaus. For the every other year transquandra race, There is 22 Jeanneaus, including 13 of the new Sun Fast 3200, 08 European boat of the yr for under 10M in length.

Certainly some of the lower cost boats are capable of off shore work and use. But beware, some as you mentioned of the beneteaus, will have some issues at the end of the journey.

marty
Old 04-17-2008

Soontobecruiser is on a distinguished road
Is it legal to import hulls and boat parts?