Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008

Bangbang is on a distinguished road
I Found A Sailboat...33 Morgan Out Island

Hey everyone...I just came across a 33 Morgan Out Island...what does anyone know about this boat? This would be my first sailboat. It is a 1973, and is in average to below average shape. The price is right! It needs a lot of tlc...mostly cosmetic...engine is down, but seems to only be a starter issue...any and all comments and advice are greatly appreciated...bang bang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2008

citation34 is on a distinguished road
Prepare to spend money! And sweat equity! In my experience it will be about one third what you paid for the boat. That is not based on any factual data, just based on me and my own maritime joy. I forgot to mention; it's been fun, too.
Congratulations on your new acquisition! Oh, and there are many knowledgeable folks on this site so do a search and find a Morgan owner!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'Liberty' Citation 34
Old 04-15-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
First boat

Hi and congrats,
I'm not familiar with the particular boat however I can give you some advise for buying for the first time...

Get it surveyed...

Check through out the hull and deck for any rotting...

Pay attention around chain plates and any other through deck supports...

Don't get too excited to miss a point that may make you spend the whole summer work on the boat instead enjoying it...

Try to open all sails during a sunny day to check for rotting, rips, etc.

Spray over and around the hatches and portholes with a hose to see if there is any water intrusion...

Don't let price limit you on one particular boat since repairing and replacing can cost as much as another boat that doesn't need such...

You can repair anything but it's the time and money spend can be the problem... I've seen many ads about boats that's been started to rebuild by owners and they ran out of money or will to finish the projects...

If it's a structurally sound boat, don't worry about cosmetics inside but beware exterior. Paints, gel coats, etc. are expensive materials... You can do interior project while you enjoy the boat out on the water but exterior projects mean sitting on dry dock.

Hope this may help you...

PS: If you know people who is in sailing for a long time tag them along with you to check the boat, extra pairs of eyes and different knowledge can save you the money to spent on a surveyor if you change your mind according to their observations...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 04-15-2008

gulfcoastcruiser is on a distinguished road
Mogan made a solid quality boat. If I could find one in good shape, I would not hesitate to buy it. Bear in mind however, it is truly a buyer's market right now and there are a LOT of cheap boats on the market that need a "little TLC". The boats that sell quickly are the ones that need little to no work that are priced at or below market value. This has been my experience so far anyway.

That being said, I would not hesitate to take on a Morgan as a project IF the price were right.

check out charleymorgan dot com for more info on Morgans.

Last edited by gulfcoastcruiser; 04-15-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
Personally, I LOVE Morgans (41' OI mostly)........can't speak for that particular one but....

as an aside: what is the general opinion of Morgans?

hope that's not too far off topic....if it is, scratch it.....and penalize me......
Old 04-15-2008

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
Well the 1973 is a different layout then in 1974 but both designs are good if you wish to see some refit photos of a 33 morgan let me know. Have owned mine now for 4 years, spent a ton of money but that was my choice, and would do it again. When ever I have guests aboard they can't get over the space we half not to mention how she sails. One thing shes not is fast but then one should not be in a hurray anyway. The going rate for the Morgans at this period are between 20,000 and 30,000 if that helps. There are some deals in the mid teens.
pring7 likes this.
Old 04-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing I'd mention... it is often far less expensive to pay a bit more to get a boat with everything in working order than it is to get a boat that was a "bargain" in the same working order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-15-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I guess it comes down to what you want out of your first boat. The Morgan Out Island series provide a lot of room for a given length and so make good cheap live aboards. But that volume comes at a price, sailing ability, seaworthiness and motion comfort are near the bottom of the ladder, so if you are buying a boat to learn to sail, or go off distance cruising this would be one of the last choices you would want to consider.

Apparently build quality varied over the years that these were made. The ones that I personally knew best were thrown together pretty cheaply with sloppy glass work, skip tabbing, a vulnerable hull to deck joint and some key hardware attached to the deck with sheet metal screws. Apparently at some point build quality was better in some years but 1973 wasn't one of them.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 04-15-2008

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
Well must say from experience, the Morgan can be greatly improved as I have done with the suggestions of Charlie Morgan, and must say the changes work. Normal cruising speed now is 6 knots, boat needs good wind and she sits up and takes off, with boats there are trade offs.
Old 04-15-2008

Bangbang is on a distinguished road
Is the price right?

To be quite honest...the steal of a deal on this boat is that she is going for $1500...that's right fifteen HUNDRED...the owner is a friend of a friend...he has already bought a new boat, and as I imagine does not want to pay dockage for two boats...he has lived aboard this vessel for the last three years...it has not moved...he does work for the marina and has had it pulled out at least once a year to have the bottom done...for this price should I pass it up...is it too good to be true...I was originally looking to spend around $10000 on a starter boat, and of course was looking in the 28 foot market...I am wondering if it will be worth it to buy this and put as much as $8500 into it to get her up to speed...am I being unrealistic??? let me know what you think...bang bang

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.