Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Low priced for that year/model and level of equipment. Either you will get a great deal or something is wrong. Get a good survey for boat and separate for engine. If all is well...it should be a great boat fo you guys! good luck with the process!!
Old 04-17-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor69 View Post
I like the tri cabin because I plan to have children.
Roger that. We like it too. If we bought one of these it would be the tri-cabin. But I wanted to make sure you knew about some of the trade-offs. Even the 2-cabin version would be fine with a couple kids, though, especially young'ins.

Another variable is the configuration of the forward cabin. It came with two options: Pullman berth (as in the version you linked to) and a standard v-berth. My preference would be the pullman version because it gets a bigger head further forward with a dedicated shower stall.

I have pretty well exhausted my knowledge of these now. My suggestion would be to read-up on them a bit at the C42 Owner's site I linked to earlier. Also, you may want to read this thread in which some of us discussed the C42 previously, and in which I linked to some reviews:

LINK

Finally, no matter what boat you choose, make sure you get a SURVEY. Money well spent. Good luck to you!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
C42 Plusses and Minuses in my eyes

Only have a few minutes then I have to run.

THe 42 is a very nice sailing boat. she has been written upas "classic plastic" and praised by her owners. It has been one of Catalina's best selling models ever, and one of its longest production runs. I also understand that it is Frank Butler's favorite boat, but this is second hand.

There are several things about the 42 that make it appealing. As stated before, it sails very nice, sure footed, and actually pretty fast. Though it is not considered a racer, once you get her down, no doubt you may find yourself with second place pretty consistently. Not bad for a boat with this much room. Some other great features (though I will refer more to the MKII version) is the ability to put a washer/dryer in the forward head. That is a huge plus as most sailboats cannot afford the room. It really fits in there nicely (in the shower stall) while still leaving the stall. Great idea by Catalina. Also, there is what my wife and I call the 'garage'. It is a cavernous space accessed either aft of the galley or from the lazarette. It is awesome, and more than enough room for a generator or all kinds of other gear. I cannot tell you how precious that kind of space is on a sailboat and not common. Also, there is a head accessed from the main salon, the cockpit is huge and great for entertaining, the main salon and galley are very large and comfortable... much more so than most 42 foot boats.

Now the negateives...

We ALMOST got a 42 over a 400. It was a tough decision. In the end, the negatives outweighed the positives (for us... not everyone).

First of all, in order to get the forward head (with washer/dryer), you need to get the Pullman arrangement. I am NO fan of a pullman as a liveaboard or cruiser. For many, this is fine... but for me, I get up and check the anchor at night or have to go to the john, or a drink of water, etc... and you have to crawl over the other person waking them up. THere are few people that will tell you that a centerline queen is not a better arrangement and more comfortable as a LA. And the 42 does offer a centerline queen - but then you lose the forward head and washer/dryer. I do not know if you can get a w/d with the centerline queen - but I think not. If you can, I would be concerned about the space it would take up and compromises of. As such, in order to really appreciate the W/D and forward head, you have to get the pullman (which is not much fun is a sea, but you have a second head and that is another story).

Here are some other real drawbacks to the 42. You have curved setees. WHy is that an issue? For laying out and stretching out or sea berths. Also, the nav station is very small compared to most boats of her size and well away from the companionway. In fact, I can honestly say I do not like it all. The aft cabin, though better than say the 35, is still small for kids. Someone will be crawling over the other. That is not the end of the world, but a V can end up being better for two kids of the same sex (or even different).

That is my quick run-down on the 42. Awesome boat, really... and we almost bought it. However, the negatives outweighed the positives for us. We had lived aboard before and knew what it was like to raise kids on a boat. As such, it was not the best layout for our purposes. Others will dissagree and I totally reccomend them to come forward. There is no perfect boat (well, except mine of course). Everything has tradeoffs and some things are more important to some people than other things. That is why there are so many makes and models of sailboats.

- CD

PS There are major losses in the three cabing version of that boat unless you have a large family. Not worth it unless you will have more than 2 kids. I hesitate reccomending that. You need to go on that boat first. You lose the garage, the galley is moved across from the salon, and it kind of chops up the boat. If you have a large family, it is a heaven send... but for a family of two... I would not wish it.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-17-2008

LoveAndLuck is on a distinguished road
I bougth Cam's 44 Irwin. Wife and I live on it. We enjoy it. What I can say. Look, look ,look. Decide what is important regarding size, equipment, and your purpose. Get a great survey person you can trust. Be prepaired to spend a lot of money. We started with a 44 (1st boat) and decided to just jump in. It can work but takes a lot of effort and $. You need to look at total cost. Talk to others re: yearly costs, in water and out. And remember a bad day on a boat is much better that a good day at work. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2008

Raptor69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAndLuck View Post
I bougth Cam's 44 Irwin. Wife and I live on it. We enjoy it. What I can say. Look, look ,look. Decide what is important regarding size, equipment, and your purpose. Get a great survey person you can trust. Be prepaired to spend a lot of money. We started with a 44 (1st boat) and decided to just jump in. It can work but takes a lot of effort and $. You need to look at total cost. Talk to others re: yearly costs, in water and out. And remember a bad day on a boat is much better that a good day at work. Good luck!
what were your living arrangements like before your LA and how drastic did the change feel?
Old 04-19-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
My 2 cents...
I thought the catalina 400 & 42 are excellent boats, EXCEPT for the aft cabin. The aft cockpit footwell intrudes into the headroom of the aft cabin significantly. I spent a week on a boat like that and whacked my head several times, didn't do any damage to the boat but I still would not want that setup. Fine for weekends but not for long term cruising. Center cockpit baby! No GIECO insurance for me.
Old 04-19-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
My 2 cents...
I thought the catalina 400 & 42 are excellent boats, EXCEPT for the aft cabin. The aft cockpit footwell intrudes into the headroom of the aft cabin significantly. I spent a week on a boat like that and whacked my head several times, didn't do any damage to the boat but I still would not want that setup. Fine for weekends but not for long term cruising. Center cockpit baby! No GIECO insurance for me.
XORT and CD,

Good points about the C42 and 400. I have not been aboard either, but looking at the photos and reading reviews (and listening to CD rave!) I always thought the aft cabin in the C400 (twin cabin version) would be pretty spacious. Xort, was that the tri-cabin version you looked at?

On the C42, my feeling has always been that the "owner's" cabin would be the forward pullman or v-berth. The kids would be relegated to the aft cabins. Too bad for them on headroom!! CD, We all debated the "Pullman Berth" in an earlier thread begun by Kwalt (I think). I guess it's one of those items that is personal preference. From the perspective of a weekender/vacationer, I look at it as a nice feature for a lot of different reasons that I think I mentioned in that thread. On the C42, I definitely think it's the better arrangement, for the reasons you described concerning the forward head/shower.

(CD, P.S. on the C42, I hadn't noticed any washer/dryers on the C42s we've been eyeballing. I do see that most of the C47s have them, though. Good to know that can be done, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense for us given how we would primarily use the boat??)

XORT, I agree that center cockpits have many virtues, especially the large aft owner's cabin. I find that they don't work as well as a practical matter (and visually) until the boat gets up over 40 feet, better yet mid-upper 40s. Also, to the best of my knowledge Catalina has never made any center cockpits (maybe some Morgans?) Beneteau, on the other hand, does have a fair number of center cockpit models beginning at 36 feet, although they seem to be building fewer CC models these days....

Old 04-19-2008

I like the 400 but I don't really dig the dual wheels..... what is the advantage for this? I like the 42 tri cabin but agree it's too difficult to find the "right" one.
Old 04-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor69 View Post
I like the 400 but I don't really dig the dual wheels..... what is the advantage for this? I like the 42 tri cabin but agree it's too difficult to find the "right" one.
Raptor,

As modern boat designs have grown wider in the stern (for various reasons), the wheel/helm has had to get larger as well so that it can be easily reached from either side of the cockpit when alternating tacks. But a large wheel can be very cumbersome for moving around the cockpit, especailly at anchor. Eventually, it begins to make sense to equip the boat with two smaller wheels, which can be placed outboard and within easy reach of the helmsman on either tack, and which make moving around/through the cockpit much easier -- especially for accessing the swim/boarding transom.

I actually think the twin-wheeled 400 is a plus compared to the C42.

Old 04-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Raptor,

As modern boat designs have grown wider in the stern (for various reasons), the wheel/helm has had to get larger as well so that it can be easily reached from either side of the cockpit when alternating tacks. But a large wheel can be very cumbersome for moving around the cockpit, especailly at anchor. Eventually, it begins to make sense to equip the boat with two smaller wheels, which can be placed outboard and within easy reach of the helmsman on either tack, and which make moving around/through the cockpit much easier -- especially for accessing the swim/boarding transom.

I actually think the twin-wheeled 400 is a plus compared to the C42.
well that confirms my suspicion then thanks.