Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Isnt that mathematically impossible unless you were doing as the photo above...I am not calling you a lair, just saying that even if the boat did 14+ knots at one point the AVG is much more telling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-23-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
GPS speed jumps around quite a bit--I always assumed that this was because your absolute position is only known to within 10 meters, and the error varies. If your device grabs two measure that vary toward each other, voila, you just got a burst of speed. And if it captures that as your Max, there you go.

As T37 said, the average would be the better number.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 07-22-2009

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
lol
Old 07-22-2009

Is it a coiencidence that when i saw the 19 kt, i just happened to be sliding down a 30 foot swell towing a dingy that was on plane and threatening to take out the stern.
I always thought you could take gps speedo readings to the bank
anyway , the mystery continues, also the 19 and 21 were recorded on the gps i borrowed from the guy who sold me the boat, a different one.
The reading of 19, I recall , i was actually loking at the gps screen continuous speed readout and not the readout where it records the max speed hit. I was sliding down the face of the wave thinking, " this has to be close to that 21 it recorded earlier" , and seeing 19 on the screen.I am wondering if any other coastal sailors have experienced the same type of numbers ?
This Tartan is a competition model , designed and fitted out for Marblehaed racing
I am not sure what is going on , we were in fantastic sailing conditions , mostly steady 20 knots of wind , then some higher gusts. We were crusing at 8 knots on the flat so i dont think it is too unrealistic to pick up 7 more coming down a swell in a gust of 20 knots ?

I hope we hit those speeds for real !

the avg speed for the trip , includes motoring out of the LaHave River and then out to the coast, also motoring through the Halifax harbor to Bedford
I was seeing a steady speed of 8 knots on the screen under the small spinaker ! so as i said before put in a gust and sliding down a swell ?

i'll make sure i turn on my back up gps next time

Last edited by ramminjammin; 07-22-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I have a Garmin 76 also. The one with the altimeter! I get as much of a chuckle when it reads that I am -43 feet under sea level as I do reading about your 19kts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 07-22-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You can take GPS readings to the bank. They are a measure of the boatspeed OVER the GROUND and given enough current, enough of a wave to surf down in a semi-displacement manner...any speed over the ground is possible.
The speed through the water in a displacement boat is another matter entirely and is limited to 1.34* the square root of the waterline length...in this case, about 6.7kts.

Given the tidal currents in Rammin's neck of the woods, I think the 15kts is quite possible as I've been in currents myself that took me from 5kts to 14kts in a matter of seconds and even Tartan 30's can surf a bit!
Old 07-22-2009
Pearson 31-2 #80 ('87)

Delirious is on a distinguished road
You beat me. I was going to suggest a tidal bore or river current of eight or ten knots.

I have a Pearson 31-2 with a rig and hull similar to a 80's era Tartan 31. Though neither is a true displacement hull at about 18 knots through the water, say being towed by a missile frigate, the suction on the hull would be so great and the wave trough established so deep either would be sucked below the deck line and submerge.
Charlie P. P31-2 #80 CATNAP

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau
Old 07-23-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I don't doubt that ramminjammin hit 21 knots OVER THE GROUND, he gave the impression that he sailed that fast. In B.C. there are several places such as Seymour Narrows where the currents can reach 14 knots and this is possible to achieve. Hardly an accurate description of the Tartan 30's capabilities though. Based on my looking at Tartans from that era I think they are a good solid boat that of course has the same issues any 25 year old fibreglass boat does- leaking chainplates, soft deck possibly. and outdated equipment. It usually comes down to price and how capable and willing the prospective owner is at repairs.
Currently refitting a CS27
Brian
Old 07-23-2009

The explanations above make sense , thanks, over the ground speed , it is then; sort of like the theory of relativity ;when you shoot a bullet at an oncoming train.

I was sailing at 8 knots and the ocean god took me up to 21 , what a thrill !!!
Old 07-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would be curious to see the max STW from the sailing instruments from that run... I seriously doubt it is anywhere close to 21 knots.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.