Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
You need a BBQ for that. PM CD, he's got a lot of them he can spare.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2008
H27 "Shady Lady"

Greenman is on a distinguished road
That's an awesome looking sailboat, how does the Van handle towing?
Old 04-26-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
That's an awesome looking sailboat, how does the Van handle towing?
Just fine, the boat is only 1400lbs and trailer 560lbs, there was probably another 200lbs including motor in the van. I've towed a lot more (race car) with my old van (Plyodge Voyavan), but that had air shocks, and this van desperately needs them. It's on the "to-do" list. This van has way more power than the old van too, nit that it really matters, I drive very conservative while towing, 65mph max, never more than 1/4 throttle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 04-26-2008

surfsup is on a distinguished road
pretty lines on her... seems like you got a really good deal as well. congrats!
Old 04-26-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Reminds me so much of my first boat...but better looking
Old 04-26-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Enjoy the boat, looks like a fun little pocket cruiser in good shape. I was going to say, "Where's the keel?" but realize she's a keel-centerboarder, which will give you access to lots of harbors and gunkholes where the bigger boys can't go.

A question: Is your greyhound from one of the rescue societies? We had one from the Louisiana rescue society, for 13 years, just passed away this week at age 15 or 16 (with the rescue dogs you don't always know the true age, just approximate).
Old 04-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Enjoy the boat, looks like a fun little pocket cruiser in good shape. I was going to say, "Where's the keel?" but realize she's a keel-centerboarder, which will give you access to lots of harbors and gunkholes where the bigger boys can't go.

A question: Is your greyhound from one of the rescue societies? We had one from the Louisiana rescue society, for 13 years, just passed away this week at age 15 or 16 (with the rescue dogs you don't always know the true age, just approximate).
Yeah, she's a rescued former racer, with Greyhounds that are former racers you know exactly when they were born, who their parents were, how many races they had, and pretty much every detail you can imagine. They all have a tattoo in their ear with their birthdate, and all their info is online. For example, go here The Greyhound Breeding and Racing Database and type in the search box "feverriver lisa" that is my dogs racing name. You can search on tattoo's too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-27-2008

So after a thorough inspection I have an idea what my boat needs, it really doesn't "need" anything for sailing but I'm very anal about things, so I will replace all lines, make them organized, color coded, and led aft. It needs new windows ($150pr from D&R) the old ones are cracked. It needs new forward hatch plexiglass, the rest of the hatch is ok, but the plexiglass is only attached on 2 sides, and just flaps around. It needs new sliding hatch runners ($58 ea) and new teak toe rails ($33ea). Also the cusions inside are deteriorating and falling apart at the zippers, not crucial, but will be fixed.

The carpet headliner shows signs of leaks, so I will remove every piece of hardware and rebed them. The gelcoat on deck is ok, not great, I will try buffing that and patching the spots that were chipped. There is very little crazing but the boat is only 19 years old, so there shouldn't be. It seems very solidly built this boat.

And I may need some advice, like do I really need 4 winches on a 19' boat? It has 2 on the cabin top for the halyards, and 2 for the jib/genoa. The jib is so small I don't see the point, it has a decent sized genoa too but even that is not any larger than the one on my Siren, and that was easily handled by my wife without winches. the other 192 that was at that marina had none and just looked much cleaner without them. And the mainsheet attaches to a triangle on the backstay, can I put a traveler on the transom instead?

Old 04-27-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
As far as winches go, they can be handy. Even if you do not need them to haul in the sheets or hoist the main etc. if you are trying to release them in a blow, a wrap or 2 or 3 around the winch, then release the line and it is easier to get a bit of line to release, vs just in your hand is a bit tougher. Also if it is really blowing, having winches to haul in the jib/genoa can be nice for smaller folks.

You should be also able to setup a different main sheet/traveler for your boat. Start by going to Harkens site, they have a link to there compuspec site, which you can look up your boat and see if it is listed, then follow the directions to what they recommend for hardware.

Marty
Old 04-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
As far as winches go, they can be handy. Even if you do not need them to haul in the sheets or hoist the main etc. if you are trying to release them in a blow, a wrap or 2 or 3 around the winch, then release the line and it is easier to get a bit of line to release, vs just in your hand is a bit tougher. Also if it is really blowing, having winches to haul in the jib/genoa can be nice for smaller folks.

You should be also able to setup a different main sheet/traveler for your boat. Start by going to Harkens site, they have a link to there compuspec site, which you can look up your boat and see if it is listed, then follow the directions to what they recommend for hardware.

Marty
Thanks, I guess it's fate, because look at what I did while buffing the boat...

I caught it with the buffer and destroyed it. I was holding it back with my shoulder and it slipped.

Here is what the hull looks like before and after...

scrub scrub scrub...