Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008
Um, I mean, sailship?

rocketshipGALILEO is on a distinguished road
Shipping a boat, what boat? And a first hello.

Hello!

So I've been lurking around on the board here, reading up on stuff so that I would know what questions I actually needed to ask, and that time has finally come!

The basics about me you might need, or hell, even WANT to know:

I live in Chicago.
I have never sailed before, but have been on many boats, lakes and ocean, so no danger of unexpected seasickness. I even kayaked up Princess Louisa inlet to Chatterbox Falls once in high school, which for once, some people I mention that too, might actually know where and what I am talking about!
I am 25.
I have always fantasized about long sailing voyages, and just realized, I actually have the means to do so, so I figure 25 years from now, there is no way in hell I could regret "blowing" an inheritance on a boat and some adventures!

Those adventures entail:
Learning to sail/sailing around Lake Michigan and the other Great Lakes.
Then hopefully(meaning I am not sure how feasible it is) taking the boat out to the Atlantic, via Erie Canal(?) to the Hudson, then on down the coast to putz around the keys/Bahamas for the winter.

Oh, since this is my first boat, I would like to keep it to less then $6000 for a boat that needs some equipment replaced (nothing structural, just rigging, sails, elec. etc.), to around $11,000 for a boat I can sail out the showroom doors, so to speak.

So...

1. I am looking in the 25 to 30 foot range. Cruiser, maybe a little towards the racing side, since I imagine that could be pretty damn fun. I'm not going to lie, after the first photo I saw, I would say I have my heart set on a Pearson Triton (those lines!), but I would love some suggestions based on what I mentioned above, basically, something bluewater/long voyage capable, but still smaller for the Lake and city life(ha).

2. After scouring the internet, I have not found much in the way of boats in Chicago. Granted, there were only THREE boats in the harbor I strolled around two days ago; the boating season hasn't "officially" started here I guess. But most likely it seems I will be buying a boat from across the land. So...

Shipping(ha) a boat? What is the procedure for this? And can anyone give me a ballpark figure for the cost, given a 28 foot boat, say New England to Chicago? Would it be better to have it sailed here (via rivers, canals, great lakes etc?). This is the subject I have had the most trouble figuring out.

OK, those were the biggies. I'm sure I'll come up with more but I think this is long enough!!

THANKS!!!

-Chris
Old 04-20-2008

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you would benefit from a bit more experience. The racing fleets in Chicago are a great way to gain experience. Suggest you go to (for instance) the Yacht Club at the Belmont street harbor Saturday mornings, hang around, introducing yourself, and asking if anyone needs crew. If you get picked up, and asked back, answers to your questions will be easy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Have you surfed yachtworld.com? Lots of great lakes boats in your price range.
Old 04-20-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

IMHO, you should do a few things:

1. Start sailing on OPB (Other People's Boats) as much as possible. Hunt around on the internet for people looking for crew, either racing or crewing.

2. Search around yachtworld and other on line for sale type places. Get an idea of a few boats that you find attractive and do your homework.

3. IMHO, you should not buy a boat this year, but use it for learning. Next year you will have a better idea of what you want.

4. Make sure you understand all the other costs associated with owning a boat - dock / mooring, maintenance, storage, insurance, etc.

5. Or, forget all that and buy a cheap small boat. Sail it all the time and then figure out what you want. You can get a Catalina / Hunter / Newport / O'day in the 22-25' range for pretty cheap. Take care of it and sell it next year or the year after for what you paid.

6. Oh, to answer your question of shipping a boat, IMHO, forget it. It will be expensive, and is not required. There are lots of boats in the Chicago area.

Good luck!
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2008
Um, I mean, sailship?

rocketshipGALILEO is on a distinguished road
OK, way less harsh on the "you need experience, not a boat" front then I was expecting, so far at least, so thanks.

dongreerpg: Thanks for the tip on when to head down to BYC, as I have found little "community" type information about sailing here in Chicago so far.

As for the experience tips, just for the record (ha!), I am 1. taking some "official" lessons in a couple weeks. 2. I AM planning on hangin' out down at the harbor lookin' for "OPB" to catch a ride on. And I also just found out about an ex-sailboat-racing uncle who lives not to far away, so that should be very helpful as well! Oh, and not that it adds up to actual experience at all, but I am a ferocious reader and have many books on sailing, and as naive as this may come across, I am someone who learns a lots from just reading. And I may as well say I am very good at learning things quickly, especially things that involve, well Physics I guess. Call it instinctual I suppose...

Basically, I want to do my homework now, so that when I DO have experience actually sailing, I won't have to drag my feet or fret when I find one of the deals that won't last a couple days of reading up on the internet, and can just say "I'll take it!"

And BarryL, I am also aware of all the other costs associated and have that budgeted, thanks for reminding me, I probably should have mentioned that!
Old 04-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would highly recommend you spend time sailing on as many different boats as you can... since you don't have much experience on them. This way, you'll have a much better idea of what kind of boat you like or don't like and then can focus your boat search on boats that you like more. You'll also have more experience sailing.... and get an idea of how you want your boat setup, and can look for that when you're going to buy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Couple of thoughts, you already got some tips on gaining more experience.

The Great Lakes are a huge pot to draw from. You should be able to find and procure a vessel any where from Chicago to Cleveland and still be able to bring her home yourself (with a little bit more of that experience that we were talking about). That opens up a lot of available vessels and keeps the cost down when trying to get her home.

Also, the Great Lakes has a relatively short season. Older boats of say 20 years age, may not have the same wear and tear on them than that of a boat which has been on the water for the entire season. Again this opens up your possibilites.

One word of caution. Chicago has about the most expensive mooring fees of anywhere on Southern Lake Michigan. Also, slips in Chicago currently are at 100% capacity. There are plans for developing two new harbors in the near future, but even those will not be open for a couple of years.

If your planning on having a boat in Chicago and are a new boat owner, you will probably end up in Monroe Harbor on a mooring can. There is nothing wrong with this, but its not a slip.

Other possiblities are Michigan City (About a 1 -2 year waiting list), New Buffalo, Waukegan, Kenosha, and Racine.

Just something else to think about. Once you do obtain a boat, where are you going to keep her? and how much is that going to cost?
After that, where are you going to dry dock her?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 04-20-2008
Heavy on the Mr. part

luckytexan is on a distinguished road
Chicago area

Well it sounds like everybody thus far is pointing you in the right direction. I did not know about the mooring / slip problem down there, so maybe I can point out a couple of other things.
Right now as everybody pointed out you need experience, you want your own boat so perhaps the best thing for you at this point is to look at something that you can trailer. I think you can go up to about 25' and still have a rig that can be pulled without permits and your own Semi-truck!
Maybe a catalina 22 or 25 like was already suggested. Get a swing keel, you will have a 2 foot draft and when you are done for the day you load it on the trailer and head to the house, park it in the driveway and you are done, no slip rental, no haul-out, no bottom paint, lots of plus points to consider.
Once you have some keel boat experience under your belt and you are ready to head out into to the clear waters around the Bahama's you will have the following.
1) A very good feel and knowledge of sailing. A keel boat (tiller steer) is damn good experience, you will become a sailor on that boat.
2) When you are struck with Bigger-itis and we all are, you will have a good idea of what you love on your little boat and what you want to change.

So far I think that you have gotten some really good advice, and nobody has been harsh or anything with you, it is a simple fact they are stating. When you get experienced you will tell others the same thing, just because it is such a great and enjoyable activity, however it can turn into a life and death struggle in a heartbeat. So nobody here is going to give you half assed advice they all have too much respect for the sport, the sea, and to Davy Jones, to give casual flippant advice.
Keep reading and learning, you will never know enough or know it all. That is a very good thing that you are doing. Reading, talking to fellow sailors, and actually getting out there and going sailing are what you need.

If you wonder about the money concerns others have raised it is with a reason they do so. We all own a hole in the water that we throw our money into. And the bigger the boat the higher the expense. Go to this address.
"Chip Ahoy" Homeport

Chip Bought a Catalina C22 named it Chip Ahoy! He spent about $2,500.00 on it initially and He has kept a running tally of costs and upgrades, the last time I checked he was over $20,000.00 and that is maybe in the past 5 years. So we have all felt the bite in our pocket book and want all new comers to understand the true cost involved.

Keep on you will get there! Good luck!