Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
You won't be living aboard, you will be camping aboard.
Trailerable = resaleable
Brand recognition = resaleable
Seaworthy, depends on conditions
sweet sailing - what's your perception?
MacGregors are a recognized brand, trailerable, plentiful, inexpensive, easy to aquire/easy to sell and seaworthy enough for the Great Lakes as many are already there. You are less likely to lose a bundle of cash on one. Just a suggestion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2008
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
There is no boat that is perfect for anyone's purpose - just pick one that is close

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfd View Post
The boats we've been looking at are all relatively old pocket-cruisers, for example the Alberg 22, C&C 24, Catalina 27,, Georgian 23, Hinterhoeller Shark etc... Can anyone offer some advice on this? From the research I've been doing no one make or model jumps out as being perfect. Any advice (or info on a boat in the Canadian great lakes region) would be really great!
Of these, some comments - Alberg 22 - very solid, very tiny
C&C 24 - decent choice
Catalina 27 - lots of space, ok quality,lots to choose from
Georgian 23 - crudely but solidly built - lots of space for size including standing head room; not many around so you might find one that is cheap; needs a good wind
Shark - good boats, still raced widely so that tends to keep the demand and price up

For your purpose I would tend to look at the Catalina or the Georgian. BUT, be aware that selling any boat will be very hard in this market, so be prepared to be stuck. Georgian might be hard to sell because it is not well known - but that should help you get a good price.

I absolutely would not limit myself to the Canadian side of the lakes. You are almost certain to get a better deal in the US where the market is very depressed. Boat prices in Canada have fallen but not as much as they will. Bringing a boat into Canada is not hard and the subject has been covered in other discussions here. Note that the country of origin and the age of the boat has an impact on the tax payable on import. You could even get a boat in areas like Long Island Sound or New Jersey. Taking a boat back to Lake Ontario on the Hudson and Erie Canal is not hard and an enjoyable trip. You would need a reliable motor for sure.
Old 04-22-2008

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
$10G?

Charter or borrow a boat.

Having sold a boat last year I can tell you they can take forever to sell and if you want some of your money back in the fall you'll have to sell it at less than half the price you bought it for.

But if you can leave your money in the boat for a few years then go for it. Look at production boats or boats with a following. Albergs are good idea but I'd suggest the Alberg 30 as they are kinda small inside.

MacGregors are a good idea, nothing like an Alberg of course but cheap and lots of fun, good resellability.

But charter would be lower risk if getting the money back is important and there are great deals out there if you shop around.
Old 08-01-2009

CorsairA7E is on a distinguished road
Give the poor man a break!

I'm very interested in some knowledgeable sailors giving their 'two cents' in relation to the original question, as to which boat best fits his desire to have a seaworthy vessel and one that is going to have a good resale value. Instead, he's getting burnt for the whole thing being a bad idea. If that is what he wants to do, how about mentioning some boats that fit the bill?
Old 08-01-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairA7E View Post
I'm very interested in some knowledgeable sailors giving their 'two cents' in relation to the original question, as to which boat best fits his desire to have a seaworthy vessel and one that is going to have a good resale value. Instead, he's getting burnt for the whole thing being a bad idea. If that is what he wants to do, how about mentioning some boats that fit the bill?
Because the question was asked sixteen months ago? Just sayin'.

Several 'knowledgeable sailors' are the ones saying it's a bad idea -- ie, that NO boat model fits the criteria and will be easy to sell after the season. That was true a year ago; it's doubly true in the present used boat market. Think you can flog (at minimal loss of investment) a small, old sailboat going into winter in the Great Lakes region? Not likely.
Old 08-01-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I agree he should have been given a bit of a break. However because he was planning for the summer of 2008 I think it's a moot point now.
Brian
Old 08-01-2009

philsboat is on a distinguished road
Grampian 26 for lots of room on a small boat and standing headroom.Sails great but looks a bit ugly.
Mirage 25,Looks great,sails great,well built and 5' 11" headroom(my boat)

Phil
Old 08-01-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Original post was april 20/2008 - he's probably decided by now.
Brian