Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008

toudi is on a distinguished road
ta shing baba cutter 40 or jeanneau 42i?

Hi,

My name is Tom. Me and my wife (+ small kid and a dog) are planing to do off shore cruising for a couple of years. We have problem which boat to choose. With some (not huge) experience with sailing and a lot of reading we still can't decide which boat design will be efficient and better. Should we choose an older, heavier type of Ta Shing Baba 40 (in very good condition for its age - 28 years old but well equipped) or 2007 Jeanneau 42i - larger inside but most of the time not mention on boat listings for of shore long term cruising. We did read your forum and we know that this subject is very popular to discuss, but we still do not know what to chose? Any pro and con answers will be appreciated a lot. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
If it was me, given your options...I'd go with the Jeanneau...but all of the folks here will disagree with me...especially the American friends..

Here at sailnet, it's not trendy not to like older boats....built before toilet paper came in rolls...many many here prefer 3 foot thick hulls...that sail like shoes..here the older and the thicker the better....and if inside is small cramped and preferably sequoia wood, the better

Just my opinion

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-21-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I am not sure what you mean or where your going with "off shore cruising" but I do like the Jeanneau 42i. There is also something to be said about having a new boat with problems to come vs. and old boat with problems it had and others that are hidden.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
I am not sure what you mean or where your going with "off shore cruising" but I do like the Jeanneau 42i. There is also something to be said about having a new boat with problems to come vs. and old boat with problems it had and others that are hidden.
YES!! that too...
Old 04-21-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by toudi View Post
Me and my wife (+ small kid and a dog) are planing to do off shore cruising for a couple of years.
Hi Tom, Welcome to Sailnet!

Could you be more specific about what you mean by "off-shore cruising"?

The reason I ask is that some people truly plan on crossing entire oceans and rounding or transitting some notoriously rough spots along the way. A solid bluewater boat would be desirable for that sort of itinerary.

On the other hand, many people are simply planning a long distance coastal cruise/island hop, interspersed by a few relatively short off-shore passages. If you are in the latter group, then the Jeanneau might be the better choice. It does have a somewhat vacuous interior, though, which could make it uncomfortable during a rough passage.

Also, if you purchase new, you will probably take a huge hit on depreciation when you go to sell the Jeanneau, especially if you put a fair bit of wear and tear on it in a relatively short period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-21-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Jeanneau builds a pretty reasonable boat for doing most anything. Currently the owner, wife and twin daughters of the local jeanneau Dealership are in or about Australia on a 3 yr tour of the Pacific rim in a NEW SO49iP. No issues so far in 1.5 yrs or there abouts on the road.

Last yrs ARC, Atlantic Ralley for Cruisers, a cruiser grouping going across the atlantic had IIRC about 17 Jeanneau's. About 1.5 yrs ago or there abouts, another fellow took a 15 yr old Jeanneau on a non stop trip around the world.

They are seaworthy, and will service you well. Unfortunetly, as Alex mentioned, some folks on here like 20-30 yr old boat designs with full keels, slow as a dead slug backwards style sailing. Granted my boat is 22 yrs old, but still a reasonably designed boat for its time. It is also a Jeanneau, so I should mention, a bit biased here! I would not personally want to take my 30'r across an ocean, but the design, how its built etc, would handle going across an ocean better than some boats that are bigger than it.

Marty
Old 04-21-2008

toudi is on a distinguished road
Hi
Thanks for quick respond. By off shore long cruising we mean 4 - 5 year travel around the world. We would like to have an easy handling boat that is also seaworthy and forgiving but also safe in case we made a mistake and we will be catch by a heavy weather. Ta Sihng is heavier and slower but it can be loaded as well, while Jeanneau is spacious, lighter and faster. For my wife safety is most important but you can be safe also by being able to run away from storm. Does running away require more experience in handling the boat? I guess yes. But on other hand you need experience to handle a boat in heavy weather. Ta Sing's design seems to be able to help you in that matter. Thanks again for responds.
Old 04-21-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Last yrs ARC, Atlantic Ralley for Cruisers, a cruiser grouping going across the atlantic had IIRC about 17 Jeanneau's. About 1.5 yrs ago or there abouts, another fellow took a 15 yr old Jeanneau on a non stop trip around the world....Marty
Marty, clearly those Jeanneaus can make it across an ocean. But my understanding is that many of the Jeanneaus in the ARC are being delivered to the Carribean by professional/experienced crews for charter service. So the numbers are not necessarily as representative as you might think, in terms of what long-distance cruisers are choosing for globe trotting.

Based on Tom's additional information, I would recommend something more robust than this Jeanneau 42i. It appears to be a more performance oriented design, which could be a handful for a small family to mange for the longer passages contemplated -- assuming it's up to the task in other respects.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-21-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Sun Fast 37
FRA
Louis Villette
Tide Chase
Sun Kiss 47
GBR
Stephen Murphy
Marelia
Sun Odyssey 37
NOR
ōyvind Larsen
Lady Liv
Sun Odyssey 43DS
GBR
Bob Heffron
Waterside
Sun Odyssey 43DS
GBR
Stuart Gillard
Trucial Coast
Sun Odyssey 45.2
GBR
Rob & Ann Cornish
BlueFlyer
Sun Odyssey 49
IRL
Hugh & Val Pilsworth
Cheetah
Sun Odyssey 49
GBR
Peter Byers
Faraway
Sun Odyssey 49
POR
Luis Abreu Freire
Golden Spirit of Islay
Sun Odyssey 49
GBR
Michael & Pamela Overbury
Momix
Sun Odyssey 49
ITA
Luigi de Bernardo
Regina
Sun Odyssey 49
NOR
Espen Aalstad
Shania
Sun Odyssey 49
SUI
Urs Muster
Talulah Ruby II
Sun Odyssey 49DS
GBR
Paul & Andy Atkinson
Kersti
Sun Odyssey 51
GBR
Jeff & Ruth Morris
Philippides III
Sun Odyssey 51
GBR
Christopher Jackson
Burnadebt
Sun Odyssey 52.2
GBR
John Dawson
Imagine of Plymouth
Sun Odyssey 54DS
GBR
Chris Ballard
Perseverance
Sun Odyssey 54DS
GBR
Rob Mackay

There is a grouping of the Jeanneau fleet. Way too many countries and sizes to be a delivery fleet, UNLESS, those doing the sailing are ones buying the boats, delivering them them selves, and putting said boats into charter after. In which case, while a delivery setup, is the owner known for doing blue water all the time.

The world ARC IIRC has 4 SO49i's on that 15 month voyage.

While I will not say a Jeanneau is the BEST boat out there, it will sail on oceans. And should do as mentioned, 5 yrs around the world. One would be island hopping, staying in ports a bunch if one did that.

While I would not choose a 20 yr old boat like te Ta shing, there are a number of newer model boat builders that will give one more comfort, speed etc while doing this. Halberg rassey among others. Generally speaking a jeanneau will do fine.

The local dealer owner was at a get together in Jan. and mentioned his 13 yr old 80 lb dripping wet daughters singily were not having an issue in there boat doing 14-16 knots with a genniker up in 20+ knot winds with 10-20' seas on there way to Australia. They are doing just fine with Jeanneau. There have been a few that folks have abanded in the middle of the Atlantic, only to be found a few weeks later, still afloat! and one towed back to Europe on the back of a freighter ala in tow at 15-18 knots!

i still feel some boats are stronger than we give them credit for. The new designs frankly, i feel are better in general than the older IOR models for sure, and even some CCA models from the 60's!

marty
Old 04-21-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Just to keep Giu's opinion of me intact...for 4-5 years of circumnavigating type wear and tear on a boat, you are much better off with a boat that is designed to do that AND has a seakindly motion AND has tankage and load carrying capacity AND a protected skeg. The Baba is such a boat, though I am not a canoe stern fan myself....but you can't go too far wrong with Mr. Perry on a long distance cruise!

BTW...crossing an ocean in the favorable trades at the right time of year and doing it once...does not necessarily give an indication of the suitability of a boat for extended world cruising.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.