Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sailormann

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008

crosseyeddreamer is on a distinguished road
c and c mega 30

Does anybody know any thing about a "mega 30" sailboat made by c and c? I have heard they are the "edsels" of sailboats, i heard they were fast . I heard they were cheesy.I heard they were the quintessential trailer-sailor if you had a big enough rig to haul them. I heard all sorts of things. Trouble is, I don't know what is true and what is bogus.Perhaps someone out there does. Also would it be a good boat to sail on a 500 square mile lake ,(fair weather sailing) kept mostly at a berth(weekends and overnighters). And would it be a good first sailboat assuming it was in decent shape?Would appreciate you input no matter how depressing....Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
The Mega 30's do sail nicely. They were designed to be trailerable one design racers. Although it was not a really successful boat, they did sell some.

I have heard from several souces that the centreboard lifting mechanism on the original model is prone to failure. A fixed keel version was also offered. By now, a lot of the CB boats have had fixes - either in the form of fixed keels or modified lifting gear.

You could do far worse. The Mega is probably the cheapest 30 footer on the market, and if you are planning on sailing it on an inland lake - it's probably an ideal boat.

C&C built them as strongly as they could, but the trailerability factor dictated that they could not be built to the same specs as the standard C&C 30 or comparable boat.

This boat is not a cruiser, although you can cruise on it. It should be classed with boats like the Kirby 30, Laser 28, even the Etchells and Solings, as it is designed for daysailing and the accomodations are incidental.

Look here for more info: C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

Good Luck ! Let us know what you decide to do
CBinRI likes this.
Old 04-22-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
There is a Mega 30 in our club. It has a fixed keel and is very well taken care of. The fellow that sails it is a top flight sailor who has owned many boats. He wins most of the races at the club in his mega. It is very fast. The interior is spartan but cruisable. It is a bit funny looking but most of the time I only get to see the stern!
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 04-22-2008

mabugov is on a distinguished road
Like anything else, if you decide to buy one, try it out first. The one I've seen seems to sail on its side, literally. A bit bizarre to look at. Very steep heel angle. Not convinced this is the right first boat. In this range try a standard C&C 30, tartan, sabre, ericson 30+. I think you will be far happier with it.

Marvin
Old 06-12-2012

TeamMega is on a distinguished road
Re: c and c mega 30

I know this is probably a few years too late but I like to respond to C&C Mega 30 postings as there is so little information.

I happen to be one of the few owners, I believe there were 150 or so manufactured.

My Mega is hull number 68 and was actually owned and raced by George Cuthbertson. It was raced in several races of her first six months and the major being the Southern Offshore. I've been trying to find out her standings but no luck to date.

The second owner raced her a lot on Lake Ontario and has many winnings and trophies including runs from Chicago to Toronto.

Things to know about a Mega 30:
- she's fast and really loves sailing on the beam especially if you can get the Spinnaker up. Under spin she will go fast enough to change the apparent wind to close hauled.
- she's hard chined, basically, will layover and dig in when running close hauled with lots of sail. Not for the faint of heart. She seems to love 25 degrees of heel.
- on the downwind... she's a planning hull... you will feel her lift and go
- she's a race boat with race boat quarters... better than most, worse than some
- she's trailerable and probably the largest trailerable. Launch time takes about 1.5 to 2 hours and can be done by one but mast handling really requires two.

All in all, I will never part with my Mega as she gives more rush and enjoyment than you will ever experience on another boat. She's a racer, you better be too...

Modifications that I've done:
- North Sails 3DL - weight reduction, especially up top on the main.
- Oversized roach on the main with a running backstay flicker
- Repositioned running rigging for single handling, including spinnaker

I sail in the Pacific Northwest, Vancouver Island and have also sailed her on inland prairie lakes. She loves big winds and I enjoy taking her into them.
Old 06-02-2014

icentropy is on a distinguished road
Re: c and c mega 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMega View Post
I know this is probably a few years too late but I like to respond to C&C Mega 30 postings as there is so little information.

I happen to be one of the few owners, I believe there were 150 or so manufactured.

My Mega is hull number 68 and was actually owned and raced by George Cuthbertson. It was raced in several races of her first six months and the major being the Southern Offshore. I've been trying to find out her standings but no luck to date.

The second owner raced her a lot on Lake Ontario and has many winnings and trophies including runs from Chicago to Toronto.

Things to know about a Mega 30:
- she's fast and really loves sailing on the beam especially if you can get the Spinnaker up. Under spin she will go fast enough to change the apparent wind to close hauled.
- she's hard chined, basically, will layover and dig in when running close hauled with lots of sail. Not for the faint of heart. She seems to love 25 degrees of heel.
- on the downwind... she's a planning hull... you will feel her lift and go
- she's a race boat with race boat quarters... better than most, worse than some
- she's trailerable and probably the largest trailerable. Launch time takes about 1.5 to 2 hours and can be done by one but mast handling really requires two.

All in all, I will never part with my Mega as she gives more rush and enjoyment than you will ever experience on another boat. She's a racer, you better be too...

Modifications that I've done:
- North Sails 3DL - weight reduction, especially up top on the main.
- Oversized roach on the main with a running backstay flicker
- Repositioned running rigging for single handling, including spinnaker

I sail in the Pacific Northwest, Vancouver Island and have also sailed her on inland prairie lakes. She loves big winds and I enjoy taking her into them.
Teammega if you're still around I'd like to ask some questions about these CC 30 mega boats. I'm in the PNW and am looking at a mega as a second boat (my first was a macgregor 25) my main requirement is that whatever boat i choose needs to be trailerable and have a retractable keel for launching in lakes as well. Main use will be smaller inland lakes and eventually out to the San Juans.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.