SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat sold today, on EBAY?!?

5K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I had my boat (Ericson 29) for sale for a little while now craigslist, sailingtexas, and sailboatlistings. I had gotten a lot of calls but no real bites, so I decided to put her up on EBAY. Today she sold at my buy-it-now price. Although I have not received the cash, I did get the down payment put in my paypal account immediately at the end of the auction. Ebay isn't for everyone, but it worked great for me. I have sold three other, smaller boats on there before with out a hick up. I hope this one goes as smoothly.

Who else here has sold boats or other big ticket items on ebay?

Time to start looking for my new baby!!

#2 ·
I sold my motorcycle, 1995 Kawasaki GPz1100, in 2002. Then in 2003. I purchased my current ride, a 2002 Honda ST1100. Both transactions went smoothly with honest people.

#6 ·
ready for a real bike...

hmm..maybe time to step up to a real scooter..maybe a harley...:D
(i know..ride what you like, and like what you ride..)
'03 FXD here

#4 ·
The fees were not really that bad. I ended up posting 7-8 pictures, adding a buy-it-now price, and a bunch of other options. The total was only around $34 dollars. I don't think I would try to sell a boat without pictures and some of the other ebay options though, but I am sure I could have added more expensive sales gimmicks.

#7 ·
I sold two boats on ebay so far. Both went reasonably well. This probably owes to the fact that they were relatively inexpensive (the second one not so much, but still) and I maintain them in top notch condition (so they were excellent value). That said, I did see lots and lots of junk for sale on ebay and I know that many of those transactions fail when buyer arrives to take a look at or possession of his new vessel and finds it to be, err, not entirely as good as the seller claimed it to be. And sometimes the boat is ok, but a shifty seller that is not entirely honest kills his own deal. And sometimes a flaky buyer. Anything can happen.

#10 ·
They charge you, based on the final selling price, 8.75% of the first $25, 3.5% from $25 to $1,000, and 1.5% for everything above $1,000. I don't remember when it shows up but you'll see it in the montly statement. BTW, Paypal charges a hefty fee, something around 4%. It's a secure and quick way of being paid but you can save that fee if you can get a certified check.

#12 ·
Update: The person who bought the boat is a soldier in Iraq. He will be coming home sometime in July. I have been dealing with his parents who are still here in Michigan.

Everything is going as smoothly as possible, I have the check and will cash it today, then send them the title as soon as the funds clear.

Still no idea on the amount of $$ ebay and paypal will charge. I can't believe she is actually gone, sad day!

#18 ·
Update: The person who bought the boat is a soldier in Iraq. He will be coming home sometime in July. I have been dealing with his parents who are still here in Michigan.
Yesterday, I received the May/June Good Old Boat magazine. Page 54 has an article written by a GI in Iraq who bought a boat online. I haven't read the article -yet. Is this teh same boat? Or, is this a trend?

"'To heck with delayed gratification" I thought. Life is short. It could end tomorrow...'":cool:

#14 ·
We found our boat on eBay, but did not buy it that way. Then auction ended with no bids, then we went to see the boat, and two days later, made an offer about 25% less then the opening price on eBay. It was accepted, and now four months later, we ahve her ready for the first sail this weekend!!!

Chris

#15 ·
I know and can't wait. I am actually going to be taking a temporary step back. I am currently looking for a small day/wet sailor that I can tow behind my car. We just bought a cabin in northern Michigan so I would like to spend most of my time up there this summer, but will need to bring the boat with me.

Anyone need crew on Lake Charlevoix this summer?

I am thinking a hobie, laser, or zuma. I don't really care what it is but I am keeping my eye on craigslist for the best deal. Any suggestions?

#20 ·
I seriously doubt it is the same guy, but maybe they are friends:D I think if I were in Iraq I would be pretty excited about the idea of siting on the back of my new boat having a few cocktails. It would probably make it a lot easier to get through the day.

Heck, it is what helps me get through my day, and I am pretty confident no one will be shooting at me.

I chatted with the new owner this morning online, he seems really excited. As he should be.

#23 ·
Your Ericson 29 should make him excited about getting back to the States alright. Nice boat. I had a Zuma in the 1990's and it was a fast, fun boat; easity towed behind your vehicle. I even put atop my station wagon before I bought a cheap trailer to tow it easier. It should give you endless hours of enjoyment before you find your next cruiser. [Learned to sail in Seattle on a Laser] Good hunting and enjoy that cabin.

#26 ·
No check, whether it is a traveler's check, cashier's check, a certified bank check, a personal check or a money order is "guaranteed". It is far to easy to counterfeit or forge any of the above nowadays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.