Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2008

jdcrockett is on a distinguished road
1st boat to buy

Hey,
I have been reading through this forum for about a week to get an adea on whether or not the boat I wanted would be a good fit for me. Sailnet is a great place to look and you all know a lot about your passion.

I have never sailed a day in my life. Multiple small motor boats, canoes, even a kayak, a little skiing, and jet ski's are all I have "floated" on. A sailboat has been a very distant dream of mine for over thirty years. It is time to stop dreaming and start doing!

I want to purchase a Sabre 28 for my 1st boat. It seems to be small enough to single hand; yet big enough to stay out on the water for a week at a time. Over the years I have looked at quite a few sailboats; and payed real close attention to Albins and Parker Dawsons but they seem more like camping cruisers than cruisers (though by reputation they are great cruisers).

Nothing against camping. I have been camping and hiking since I was in my teens. Just do not want to camp in my boat if you know what I mean. And if you don't; all I can say is I go hiking/camping medium weight. 50 to 75lbs of gear tops for a week at a time. A lot of you say buy the biggest boat you can afford and love. The Sabre 28 is it. I fell in love with the lines, craftsmanship, and I can afford one.

I live in Ohio and will be taking lessons on the great lakes. What I really want to know from you seasoned veterans, is this too much boat for a beginner to learn to single hand, even if I am willing to fork over the dollars for multiple lessons?

I am not an imature individual. 50 years old, athletic for my age, and very respectfull of anything that moves; including myself I appreciate all input.

Thanks, James

Last edited by jdcrockett; 04-25-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
James,

The Sabre 28 has a good reputation and might be a good choice for you. But it is hard to really know what you want/need until you have a bit of experience under your belt. No matter what boat you choose, get it surveyed before completing the purchase.

You'll be fine if you go about it the right way. Take lessons, ease into it slowly, avoid bad weather until you've built experience, don't get cocky. If you go ahead with the boat purchase, try to find an experienced friend that can join you for daysails/overnights while you build experience.

I once taught a couple to sail that had ALREADY purchased a 28 footer. Last I heard through the grapevine, they had upgraded their boat and headed off to the Caribbean. It can be done!

Good luck to you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-25-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
James,
Welcome to Sailnet. I think the Sabre 28 would be a good first boat. My first boat was a Columbia 26 and it was perfect to learn on and spend some time with the family. Sabres are good boats but as John mentioned you should definitely have a survey on her. As in all boats you want to find one that was lovingly maintained, it just makes life a lot easier and cheaper for you in the long run. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Hi James, good boat - and if you can go hiking with 50 lbs of gear on your back, you're plenty fit enough to single-hand her on the Great Lakes! If the boat has been in the Great Lakes (fresh water) her whole life, there are a lot of corrosion issues you won't have to worry about, though a good survey is still a must.

for the record, we started with a 27-foot Ericson out of Traverse City, and Dan was also 50 at the time. Now living full time on a 33...and it's NOT camping.
Old 04-25-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
James:

Don't know anything about the Sabre, but I do know that you are doing ABSOLUTELY THE RIGHT THING by getting into sailing. Sorry you missed out the first 50 years. I hope your next fiifty is filled with fair winds, blue skies, the challenges and joys of sailing!

Welcome!

David

P.S.

Don't ever anchor just off the south outlet of the Detroit River. You'll get rolled like crazy by the freighter wake!

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 04-25-2008

svey is on a distinguished road
Avoid a fixer upper at all cost

I totally agree with JohnRPollard about the survey. My O'Day 23 was a gift (after 4 years of ownership it was the Trojan gift type). If you've never sailed before start with a good sound boat because you want to sail not know the Gougeon Brothers on a first name basis.

My spouse took sailing lessons with a professional and he would always take a reef in the main and limit the genoa to 100% when the wind was over 10 knots.

The Sabre 28 is a lovely sailboat.

Have fun

Yves
Old 04-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The S28 would be a fine boat to start on and it is not too big for you to handle. Note that there were 3 versions of the boat over the years and you may find you like one version better than the others. Original brochures for each are available here:
Frequently Asked Questions about Sabre Yachts
Old 04-25-2008

I will get it surveyed before purchasing. I don't think I will upgrade; but the couple you taught are doing exactly what I want to be doing either next season or the season after...

Thanks for the reply, James
Old 04-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
Hi James, good boat - and if you can go hiking with 50 lbs of gear on your back, you're plenty fit enough to single-hand her on the Great Lakes! If the boat has been in the Great Lakes (fresh water) her whole life, there are a lot of corrosion issues you won't have to worry about, though a good survey is still a must.

for the record, we started with a 27-foot Ericson out of Traverse City, and Dan was also 50 at the time. Now living full time on a 33...and it's NOT camping.
Yea my hiking buddies make fun of my pack weight and affinity for lucks can beans and potted meat. It is amazing how much weight 8 to 10 cans of beans can add to a pack; but that is my luxury when I am out in the woods.

There are several Sabres on the market right now and I agree 100%, a survey is a must. I do not have the patience or inclination for a fixer upper.

Thanks for the reply
Old 04-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
The S28 would be a fine boat to start on and it is not too big for you to handle. Note that there were 3 versions of the boat over the years and you may find you like one version better than the others.
I want to thank everyone for their replies! You have reinforced my choice and now it is time to find a boat. Travel to look; then surveys and offers. It sounds simple but I know its not. Hopefully (this is the goal) within the next month or two I will be taking lessons and enjoying the life a weekend at a time.

Thanks again and I will be back once I find my boat!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.