Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008

nematon is on a distinguished road
blue water capeable, and exciting...on a budget.

I know what I want, and what I want to do. I just can't find the boat to do it with. maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I want a boat that can go anywhere in the world.
I want a boat that can point into the wind at high angle of attack.
I want a boat that looks good,
I want a boat that averages high number of nautical miles per day on long treks.
I want a boat that can be single handed in rough weather.
I want a big comfortable condo on the water.
I want a boat with shallow draft.
I want a well built durable boat made of fiberglass.

I have a budget of $50,000 not counting my kitty and refit. (less is better)

I can be flexible, good looks, comfortable condo, those are not so critical.
basically I want a westsail 32, that points into the wind, and goes faster.
so far I am looking in the realm of

jboat
pearson
tartan
tayana

I will probably settle on westsail, but how about a glimmer of hope for some exhilaration...(does jboat belong in there?) right now pearson is looking the most affordable, thanks for any suggestions, as with most things I get tunnel vision, and sometimes another perspective opens doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Nematon,

I think you will need to refine and prioritize your criteria, since several of them are mutually exclusive. For instance, rarely will a boat with "shallow draft" be capable of "point[ing] into the wind at high angle of attack." Unless it happens to be a very small boat with a proportionally deep draft that is nevertheless shallow, in which case it would not be considered a "big comfortable condo on the water" nor would it be likely to "average high number of nautical miles per day on long treks."

I think you get the drift? You can't have it all, certainly not at the price point you quote. But if you can figure out what your true priorities are, then you should be able to find a suitable boat for that price.

Assuming that your requirement for a "boat that can go anywhere in the world" is the highest priority (because it was listed first), then off the top of my head, I would suggest some of the smaller Pacific Seacraft models, like the Dana 24, Orion 27, Mariah 31. Others will chime in with additional suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-30-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Here ya go....meets all your criteria except the last one..
Attached Thumbnails
blue water capeable, and exciting...on a budget.-ship.jpg  
Old 04-30-2008

garymcg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nematon View Post
I know what I want, and what I want to do. I just can't find the boat to do it with. maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I want a boat that can go anywhere in the world.
I want a boat that can point into the wind at high angle of attack.
I want a boat that looks good,
I want a boat that averages high number of nautical miles per day on long treks.
I want a boat that can be single handed in rough weather.
I want a big comfortable condo on the water.
I want a boat with shallow draft.
I want a well built durable boat made of fiberglass.

I have a budget of $50,000 not counting my kitty and refit. (less is better)

I can be flexible, good looks, comfortable condo, those are not so critical.
basically I want a westsail 32, that points into the wind, and goes faster.
so far I am looking in the realm of

jboat
pearson
tartan
tayana

I will probably settle on westsail, but how about a glimmer of hope for some exhilaration...(does jboat belong in there?) right now pearson is looking the most affordable, thanks for any suggestions, as with most things I get tunnel vision, and sometimes another perspective opens doors.

I would love to help, but I'm busy trying to find a $3000.00 used car that handles and accelerates like a Porsche 911 Turbo, has the comfort of a Mercedes S600, and gets 50 miles to the gallon.

Heck, just buy an older Tartan 37. Sails well, centerboard draft, points well, and the S&S design is a timeless beauty.

Every boat is a compromise (repeat this to yourself 10 times every time you go to look at a boat).
Old 05-01-2008

nematon is on a distinguished road
Hmmm. I do like tartan. will this choice give me at least some mild speed improvement, while still maintaining seaworthyness? and is center board a mistake for me and my desires? I do not have issues with upkeep, as I always work on all my own stuff. and you guessed it, I am an armchair cruiser with little experience, although my backround includes some sailing experience, as well as over a year at sea (on a trawler, not a sailboat, ) and lots of rv fulltiming, so some systems, like electrical, solar, heat, cool, plumbing carryover, and living aboard a small craft... with wheels. the boat will be my home, and I really want to get it right the first time, so later down the road an upgrade would be by choice rather than necessity. also, stupid question, but it seems like loosing a mast would be devastating at sea, and I know this is not extremely common, but do people carry extra masts on long voyages? would a ketch provide sailing ability if you lost the main mast or would both the main and the mizzen dump at once if one went? this is trivia, I am getting a sloop/cutter, I am just curios. thanks for indulging me.
Old 05-01-2008

johnnyonspot is on a distinguished road
The Tartan 37 seems to have a good rep, and the centerboard would both allow you to go into shallower water while helping to improve windward performance. One drawback is the maintenance on a centerboard, as the lifting mechanism, pivot pin and cable need to be inspected regularly and periodically replaced. From what I have seen they are usually in the $40-60k range. Another very affordable boat with a really great reputation is the Tayana 37. It has shallow draft, which may undercut its windward performance, but its cutter rig offers more versatility and may help counteract any loss the shallow draft causes sailing close hauled. There are many on the market, as with the Tartans. There must be owners or those who've sailed on these vessels in the forum who could speak to these issues, even take you for a sail if you live close enough.
Old 05-01-2008

TAK is on a distinguished road
One thing you might want to do is look at places in the Carib and Mexico for a boat with owners - that once they had a small taste, decided cruising was not for them.. could be a win win ..
Caliber #4065

ACM - Eastport MD
Old 05-01-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nematon View Post
know this is not extremely common, but do people carry extra masts on long voyages?
That is kinda like asking a RVer "Do you keep a extra awning on long road trips in the case it gets blown off during a storm?".... the answer is a no It would be impractical.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 05-01-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I think Stillraining had it right. You want a power boat. No sailor is that fussy.

The whole post sounds like a little kid's Christmas letter
I want....
I want.....
I want......

Whatever happened to:

It would be nice to have...
I would prefer....
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 05-01-2008

Islander30Bahama is on a distinguished road
Talking

There are lots of things that I wanted in a boat during my recent search. Lots of frustration with brokers who talked like they knew everything and then didn't have the faintest clue when I asked if the engine was fresh water cooled. I found a boat that I ahve always liked for $9500 in Anacortes Wa. Its a 1981 Islander 30 Bahama. It has great lines, sails great, and will be very comfortable up on Lake Pend Oreille if I can ever find a trailer to borrow to get it home to start the refit(needs lots of new stuff but dad works at west marine so things will work out fine
You want a boat to do a lot for a little. Do you have blue water experience? Cause it sounds like you dont know much about sailing. Open ocean sailing classes would be highly recommended. When I was in the Coast Guard we rescued a few people out in the middle of the Pacific cause they were inexperienced for the task at hand.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.