SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Wanted. "Sailboat that will Love Me!" (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/42789-wanted-sailboat-will-love-me.html)

Melrna 05-02-2008 09:46 AM

Wanted. "Sailboat that will Love Me!"

Hi gang

I know I have been quiet here for a few months, but I have been a little busy with the new job down in Miami. I now commute to Miami from New Jersey. I am now settled down there and flying all over the southern hemisphere with an occasional trip to Paris!:p More on that latter.
I am in the very serious boat buying business. I have been doing research now for the better part of 3 years, asking stupid questions here in this forum and other place, driving my brokers and friends crazy. My situation has changed three times on where and what my future holds and will probably change again depending on the great mis-management (with their mega bonuses), do with the company I work for. I thought I was going to do a permanent liveaboard with a nice new or near new boat but that has changed for now. So, now I have to commute to Miami, where I am going to do a semi-liveaboard down there and keep my house here in NJ due to spouse's job. :(
With all your inputs I have narrow my search down to a few boats. What is amazing is they all start with a "C",; Caliber, CS and Cal. I put in an offer on a private Caliber boat but I haven't heard back from him which means I guess it was rejected. This week I will be crossing the eastern seaborne looking at boats. What a way to spend one's vacation! I know anyone that is looking at boats to buy it is a difficult task to say the least. Not to mention frustrating when the write-up doesn't match the actual boat. However, I have gotten smarter over the years, and ask very detail questions with photos to prove it before going down. Also a few sailnet members here have helped me and I thank tremendously.
To keep with the title "Crazy woman boat driver", I leased a great slip in Miami that I am now paying for because liveaboard slips are hard to come by. Now all I have to do is find a boat to place in the this great slip.
WANTED - SAILBOAT THAT WILL LOVE ME AND I HER!
Melissa Renee'

Cruisingdad 05-02-2008 09:55 AM

Well, mine just loves me for my money. Oh well.

Why did you narrow to those three boats, curiously?

Melrna 05-02-2008 10:21 AM

Great question CD. I guess it boiled down to sturdy quality boat, that can take a punishing if it has too since I will be keeping the boat down in Miami during hurricane season. Also one that I can take bluewater, where the boat will take care of me in-case I do something crazy like cross the gulf stream. Moreover, it comes down to money and a limited budget since my fortune cookies haven't given me the right numbers for the lottery. Also, I do listen to you, and before I go down to look at the boats they all must have at least 4 BBQ on the rails. :>P

PBzeer 05-02-2008 10:27 AM

Having been on Soulsearcher's Caliber40, I have to say I like the boats. The nav station is a little iffy, to my taste, but otherwise, I really like it. Also been on an older Cal39, but didn't like that nearly as well.

Cruisingdad 05-02-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrna (Post 308391)
Great question CD. I guess it boiled down to sturdy quality boat, that can take a punishing if it has too since I will be keeping the boat down in Miami during hurricane season. Also one that I can take bluewater, where the boat will take care of me in-case I do something crazy like cross the gulf stream. Moreover, it comes down to money and a limited budget since my fortune cookies haven't given me the right numbers for the lottery. Also, I do listen to you, and before I go down to look at the boats they all must have at least 4 BBQ on the rails. :>P

HEHEHE!! On a limited budget, you can get by with two BBQ's!

Re the Caliber, it is my favorite of the three with the exception that John said too. My exact thoughts. I feel it is a VERY undervalued boat. The aft stateroom lacks something to be desired (so would not work for us with kids), but that was not your focus anyways.

That is a great choice. I will also point you the the Tayana 42. Have you been on one? Of all the boats, we were most impressed with that one for liveablity and bluewater capacity. One of the nice features of the baot (non-center cockpit) is the ability to access the lazarette through a walk-through by pulling the stairs back. Very, very cool idea. You have "gobs" of room for storage... you will lose stuff. The aft cabin is better and the nav station is "ok". It is part of the main salon on that model, but plenty of room to put stuff.

Look at the Passports too. I think it is a better performing boat, but (no offense to anyone... my opinion only) not quite a sgood of a liveaboard. But if you enjoy some level of performance, you would apprecaite it.

I will tell you, from someone that has lived aboard, it is a whole other world. Buy a boat you are very comfortable on first and foremost. Put the blue water capabilities second. If you are not comfortable on her, you will never take her to blue water and never leave the dock. I know that sounds backwards but the boat has to be a good liveaboard. You have not put a couple of boats on there that I consider great blue water boats and bad liveaboards (I will not mention as I will get hate mail)... so that is good.

- CD

PS Aren't you sooooooo proud of me for not mentioning Catalina!!! HEHE!

teshannon 05-02-2008 10:54 AM

Melissa,
PM me if you want more info on the Tayana 42.

Melrna 05-02-2008 11:11 AM

I like the Tanaya boats, my ex dock buddy has one. But I am trying to keep the boat between 33-40'. For CD eyes only, I like later Catalina's and Hunter boats, but to get to the year model I like, it is out of my budget. Trying to keep it under 100k for what it is worth.
M

teshannon 05-02-2008 11:18 AM

Have you looked at the Tayana 37? There are a lot of them out there and I think they are also very good boats.

TAK 05-02-2008 11:19 AM

I'd keep working that 35 offer.. it looks like a sweeet boat ..

plus you would make a great addition to the clan.. ;)

Cruisingdad 05-02-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teshannon (Post 308420)
Have you looked at the Tayana 37? There are a lot of them out there and I think they are also very good boats.

I mean no dissrespect and please no hate mails. But the T37, a very, very good and proven blue water boat, is a shoe box. That is not one of my favorite liveaboard boats. This is my opinion only. I know and have been on many of them and know people that live on them and love them and think they are the awesome. But that is one tight boat. I think the Passport or Caliber a better choice.

These are my opinions only. No PM's about how I suck and you hav elived on your T37 and it is a castle and a suburban and whatever. My opinions only.

- CD

PS Aren't you guys glad I am posting again after my rant thread??? You asked for it....